Chipset fan? Are you kidding me?

MorgothPl

2[H]4U
What really makes me unhappy about X-79 is the damn chipset fan. Don't know, what you think of it, but I only had bad experience with that design. It was most loud, most hot and worst designed part of old MoBos.

The chipset radiator was either glued, or put on plastic pins, so sometimes remove, and use better paste was not an option, as it was impossible to properly reassemble chipset cooling.
Of course fans were unreliable too, and weere breaking as hell. Then, as the chipset was getting hotter, the fan was clearly audible.

I wonder, if we see the triumphant return of blue Zalman chipset cooler :p

I agree. chipset fans should be a bygone memory. A large heatsink and good case airflow should be enough.

what motherboard are you referencing?

some were bad, some not. I used to replace then with a bigger, slower RPM fan.....slightly ghetto, I admit.

I usually just watercooled the chipset, end of fans.:D

He might be referring to the new X79 Sabertooth board. Think it had a tiny little chipset fan or two. When i saw pics of the board with them, my first reaction was "well, F%&* that board."

I was mentioning ASRock and Asus Sabertooth x79. And the old one I had trouble with was one of socket 939.

Yes......I had an ASUS A8N SLi board and it had a tiny southbridge fan.....

I don't recall it being too noisy, but it eventually bit the bullet, ASUS replaced it.:D

As for the Sabertooth X79.....fans or not, the thing is so Fugly I wouldn't use it anyway.

Why do they suddenly need fans? Are these chipsets hot?

I'm going to wait for the Ivy Brige Rampage branded boards.

Curious why the chipset would need a fan, since all the heavy work is done on the CPU now. Or is X79 back to QPI with the PCIe controller on the chipset?

I don't recall it being too noisy, but it eventually bit the bullet, ASUS replaced it.:D

I had the same board with the same problem. Replaced it with the Zalman blue cooler and was very happy...up until I tried to install a GTX8800 which wouldn't fit with the Zalman.

Made a great excuse to do a whole new build :D

We had a few dead motheboards from this and similar ASUS boards at work because the fans died and we did not notice until it was too late.

Chances are koolance and EK will have some pretty bitch'n mobo blocks to replace the fans. I'm not terribly worried, though I was shocked to see them.

The chipset fan went out on my Dad's board about 4 months ago, and my hunch is that's what killed it. I have the same board, but I had already replaced the chipset crap with an aftermarket blue cube heatsink from newegg, and a small fan quietened down. Those things are time bombs!!!

In theory there's nothing wrong with a chipset cooler...like I remember Swiftech used to make a really cool one, it was like a mini version of their CPU heatsinks. But in practice, the coolers that shipped on any of the motherboards that I used were like the OP said: loud, shitty contact, etc.

I agree. chipset fans should be a bygone memory. A large heatsink and good case airflow should be enough.

Typically the CPU heatsink/fan provides some airflow for the surrounding chipsets, but as popularity of the corsair/antec water coolers increase those surrounding chipsets no longer get the air flow they might need.

Just a theory on the idea...Ive heard talk of both AMD and Intel offering those corsair coolers with highend chips.

Apparently you'll need it for the best thermal result! You do want the best thermal result don't you?! :p

x79_sabertooth_1.png

It looks removable and replacible with whatever you feel like. However...the words "turbo fan" make me think of delta...

"turbo fan" brings back memory of the very loud small fan, that does shit, but it's marketed as a perfect solution to all heat problems :p

God, those little fans are terrible - noisy in an annoying buzzy way, don't blow any air at all, and have crappy bearings that fail in no time. I can't believe they are bringing them back.

That squirrel one on the right is gonna be noisy ... not like the 10mm fan on the left isn't either ...

This is why I love having a sheet metal shop at work. I grab some scrap metal out of the bin and hit a couple of machines and in ten minutes have a bracket to connect the chipset to my loop...

Everyone should have a good set of calipers and a machine shop handy. :D

Back