Chinese Users Criticize Microsoft's Push For Windows 10 Upgrade

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, May 27, 2016.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

You know things are bad when even the Chinese are criticizing the free upgrade to Windows 10 for their pirated copy of Windows 7. It just goes to show you that no one likes being nagged to death, even if it's for a free upgrade.

Chinese users of Microsoft products are criticizing the software company's push to get them to mandatorily upgrade their Windows operating systems, the official Xinhua news agency reported on Friday. Posts critical of Microsoft on microblog site Weibo relating to the Windows 10 upgrade, which Microsoft users must switch to, have grown to over 1.2 million in number, it said.

2. Quix

Quix 2[H]4U

I think if you're pirating someone's software you basically give up the right to complain about anything it does.

3. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

I hate your free OS upgrade but, I am not willing to pay for your OS in the first place? (Assuming those that are complaining are actually using a pirated copy and not a legally purchased version.)

Carouselambra likes this.
  4. Carouselambra

Carouselambra Gawd

When did the upgrade become mandatory?

Ordeith and heatlesssun like this.
  5. Quix

Quix 2[H]4U

It only applies if you're not running a legal copy of the software.

mesyn191 likes this.
  6. grtitan

grtitan Telemetry is Spying on ME!

When microcrap decided it, now bend over and take your w10 virus!

7. nvgrim

nvgrim [H]ard|Gawd

Not true, im not running a legitimate version of 7 on my home pc. Unless i am misunderstanding you.

8. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

Depends of how you got the pirated/non-legitimate version of Windows to run on your system. ;)

Not having a legitimate copy of windows 7, but being able to upgrade to a legitimate copy of Windows 10 for free sounds like a good reason to upgrade.

Deadly Ramon and mesyn191 like this.
  9. prime2515102

prime2515102 [H]ard|Gawd

Once the Windows store, Cortana, and OneDrive are disabled, and if they fix the constant failure of search and the start menu, and fix the file associations magically getting set back to Microsoft's applications (surely they'll fix these problems by 2020), and you block (most of) the telemetry either manually or using Spybot Anti-beacon, it's not a bad OS at all. Why wouldn't anyone want to upgrade? o_O

mesyn191 and viscountalpha like this.
  10. GotNoRice

GotNoRice [H]ardForum Junkie

lol Weibo, where posts critical of anything involving China or even a prominent Chinese company are promptly deleted. Really the only thing they are even allowed to be critical of are foreign companies, so this is not surprising in the least. This is similar to how France collects taxes.

11. nvgrim

nvgrim [H]ard|Gawd

Been running the same activation tool ive had for years, works every time. Why would i care if my 7 is not legitimate and why would that make it a good reason to upgrade to 10? You think i care about the morality of owning cracked software lol.

12. GotNoRice

GotNoRice [H]ardForum Junkie

The Windows Store, Cortana, and OneDrive - These are all things which take either 2-3 clicks to disable, or you can simply delete the icon and forget about it. Why is that a big deal for you? I still have yet to see anyone give a reasonable explanation about why the "telemetry" in Windows 10 is worse or even equivalent to what is collected by the average phone or search engine. It seems everyone would rather regurgitate hype, nonsense, and rumors instead. I've also not had my file associations reset, guess I just got lucky... or maybe I pay attention to what I click on ;)

Didn't stop you from patting yourself on the back about it, that's for sure.

Ordeith likes this.
  13. Verge

Verge [H]ardness Supreme

What about the 17 legitimate users in China.

Literally there is 17 of them.

14. kledar586

kledar586 [H]ard|Gawd

hey man I installed a legit version on my folks computer in china, that makes 18 alright

Deadly Ramon likes this.
  15. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

I believe Red Flag Linux is free, they could use that.

16. prime2515102

prime2515102 [H]ard|Gawd

What do you mean what you click on? Are there shortcuts or something that reset file associations? All I have to do is restart my computer and they (sometimes) revert to the default programs.

I'm not even going to debate the privacy concerns other than to say, it's not ok with phones, which are 10x worse, either.

17. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

When even thieves want no part of your software even when it's being handed out free, you know you fucked up. Badly.

Deadly Ramon likes this.
  18. ryno9100

ryno9100 Limp Gawd

I honestly don't understand the hate for Windows 10. I install it almost every day on customer computers, and it almost never has issues. Once I properly install drivers and make sure all the updates are run, any machine 2010ish and up never give me issues. The biggest issues I've had are from originally Vista machines.

I understand the privacy concerns (and share many of them), but those can be worked around for people that are concerned with it.

19. Ordeith

Ordeith Limp Gawd

Poor Linux. Not even thieves want to use it on the desktop.

Deadly Ramon likes this.
  20. nvgrim

nvgrim [H]ard|Gawd

Its not the OS itself (although there are some things i dont like about it) its the fact that they are trying to force people into it by tricking them into upgrading. If they just said "Hey for a limited time goto our website and reserve your free copy of windows 10!" but instead it was "oh i see you installed this vague ass update that doesnt mention GWX anywhere, well let me begin the download process in the background and then try to schedule the upgrade for you!" Its the principle behind the whole thing. Plus Windows 10 offers nothing more for me that 7 already does, but 10 does include more crap i dont care about (metro UI, cortana, ads, windows store, privacy concerns, and the fact that you cant even turn updates off)

21. hardboner

hardboner Limp Gawd

my old computer won't even run it properly, that's why I don't want windows 10.
    win7 runs perfectly fine.

22. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

Don't tell any one, but you can use those tools to install Windows 7 on an old system that came with XP or Vista, and then upgrade it to Windows 10. :nailbiting:
    I've done this on some old systems I've rehabbed & given out to people who couldn't afford a new computer.

Find that Windows 10 boots faster feels smoother on these older systems (dual core & 4GB ram) than Windows 7.

Deadly Ramon likes this.
  23. Deadly Ramon

Deadly Ramon Gawd

Speaking of thieves:

24. sirgallium

sirgallium Limp Gawd

I think a lot of people are misinterpreting things a little bit. This article isn't saying that chinese people hate windows 10. They are saying that they hate the forced update. It can interrupt you at a bad time, like how it messed up that business meeting.

25. Macblastr

Macblastr Limp Gawd

Because it doesnt work. They tricked me into upgrading and several of my peripherals no longer work... and after the 29 hours spent getting just one label printer to work... 2 weeks later, windows somehow installed multiple drivers for that printer and now it doesnt work... windows 10 sucks. Windows 7 worked flawlessly and was better looking... but hey, windows has been trying to emulate apple for the last 5 years or so with the app store crap.