Chinese Users Criticize Microsoft's Push For Windows 10 Upgrade

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know things are bad when even the Chinese are criticizing the free upgrade to Windows 10 for their pirated copy of Windows 7. It just goes to show you that no one likes being nagged to death, even if it's for a free upgrade.

Chinese users of Microsoft products are criticizing the software company's push to get them to mandatorily upgrade their Windows operating systems, the official Xinhua news agency reported on Friday. Posts critical of Microsoft on microblog site Weibo relating to the Windows 10 upgrade, which Microsoft users must switch to, have grown to over 1.2 million in number, it said.

I hate your free OS upgrade but, I am not willing to pay for your OS in the first place? (Assuming those that are complaining are actually using a pirated copy and not a legally purchased version.)

It only applies if you're not running a legal copy of the software.
Not true, im not running a legitimate version of 7 on my home pc. Unless i am misunderstanding you.

Not true, im not running a legitimate version of 7 on my home pc. Unless i am misunderstanding you.

Depends of how you got the pirated/non-legitimate version of Windows to run on your system. ;)

Not having a legitimate copy of windows 7, but being able to upgrade to a legitimate copy of Windows 10 for free sounds like a good reason to upgrade.

Once the Windows store, Cortana, and OneDrive are disabled, and if they fix the constant failure of search and the start menu, and fix the file associations magically getting set back to Microsoft's applications (surely they'll fix these problems by 2020), and you block (most of) the telemetry either manually or using Spybot Anti-beacon, it's not a bad OS at all. Why wouldn't anyone want to upgrade? o_O

Posts critical of Microsoft on microblog site Weibo relating to the Windows 10 upgrade, which Microsoft users must switch to, have grown to over 1.2 million in number, it said.

lol Weibo, where posts critical of anything involving China or even a prominent Chinese company are promptly deleted. Really the only thing they are even allowed to be critical of are foreign companies, so this is not surprising in the least. This is similar to how France collects taxes.

Depends of how you got the pirated/non-legitimate version of Windows to run on your system. ;)

Not having a legitimate copy of windows 7, but being able to upgrade to a legitimate copy of Windows 10 for free sounds like a good reason to upgrade.
Been running the same activation tool ive had for years, works every time. Why would i care if my 7 is not legitimate and why would that make it a good reason to upgrade to 10? You think i care about the morality of owning cracked software lol.

Once the Windows store, Cortana, and OneDrive are disabled, and if they fix the constant failure of search and the start menu, and fix the file associations magically getting set back to Microsoft's applications (surely they'll fix these problems by 2020), and you block (most of) the telemetry either manually or using Spybot Anti-beacon, it's not a bad OS at all. Why wouldn't anyone want to upgrade? o_O

The Windows Store, Cortana, and OneDrive - These are all things which take either 2-3 clicks to disable, or you can simply delete the icon and forget about it. Why is that a big deal for you? I still have yet to see anyone give a reasonable explanation about why the "telemetry" in Windows 10 is worse or even equivalent to what is collected by the average phone or search engine. It seems everyone would rather regurgitate hype, nonsense, and rumors instead. I've also not had my file associations reset, guess I just got lucky... or maybe I pay attention to what I click on ;)

Been running the same activation tool ive had for years, works every time. Why would i care if my 7 is not legitimate and why would that make it a good reason to upgrade to 10? You think i care about the morality of owning cracked software lol.

Didn't stop you from patting yourself on the back about it, that's for sure.

I think if you're pirating someone's software you basically give up the right to complain about anything it does.

What about the 17 legitimate users in China.

Literally there is 17 of them.

I've also not had my file associations reset, guess I just got lucky... or maybe I pay attention to what I click on ;)

What do you mean what you click on? Are there shortcuts or something that reset file associations? All I have to do is restart my computer and they (sometimes) revert to the default programs.

I'm not even going to debate the privacy concerns other than to say, it's not ok with phones, which are 10x worse, either.

When even thieves want no part of your software even when it's being handed out free, you know you fucked up. Badly.

I honestly don't understand the hate for Windows 10. I install it almost every day on customer computers, and it almost never has issues. Once I properly install drivers and make sure all the updates are run, any machine 2010ish and up never give me issues. The biggest issues I've had are from originally Vista machines.

I understand the privacy concerns (and share many of them), but those can be worked around for people that are concerned with it.

I honestly don't understand the hate for Windows 10. I install it almost every day on customer computers, and it almost never has issues. Once I properly install drivers and make sure all the updates are run, any machine 2010ish and up never give me issues. The biggest issues I've had are from originally Vista machines.

I understand the privacy concerns (and share many of them), but those can be worked around for people that are concerned with it.
Its not the OS itself (although there are some things i dont like about it) its the fact that they are trying to force people into it by tricking them into upgrading. If they just said "Hey for a limited time goto our website and reserve your free copy of windows 10!" but instead it was "oh i see you installed this vague ass update that doesnt mention GWX anywhere, well let me begin the download process in the background and then try to schedule the upgrade for you!" Its the principle behind the whole thing. Plus Windows 10 offers nothing more for me that 7 already does, but 10 does include more crap i dont care about (metro UI, cortana, ads, windows store, privacy concerns, and the fact that you cant even turn updates off)

my old computer won't even run it properly, that's why I don't want windows 10.
win7 runs perfectly fine.

Don't tell any one, but you can use those tools to install Windows 7 on an old system that came with XP or Vista, and then upgrade it to Windows 10. :nailbiting:
I've done this on some old systems I've rehabbed & given out to people who couldn't afford a new computer.

Find that Windows 10 boots faster feels smoother on these older systems (dual core & 4GB ram) than Windows 7.

I think a lot of people are misinterpreting things a little bit. This article isn't saying that chinese people hate windows 10. They are saying that they hate the forced update. It can interrupt you at a bad time, like how it messed up that business meeting.

Because it doesnt work. They tricked me into upgrading and several of my peripherals no longer work... and after the 29 hours spent getting just one label printer to work... 2 weeks later, windows somehow installed multiple drivers for that printer and now it doesnt work... windows 10 sucks. Windows 7 worked flawlessly and was better looking... but hey, windows has been trying to emulate apple for the last 5 years or so with the app store crap.

Back