Chinese Police Test New Security Tool: Smart Glasses

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Local police in Beijing have been spotted with “black tech”: namely, AI-powered smart glasses that can scan the faces of vehicle occupants and plates. The information obtained is matched to a database in real-time, allowing authorities to immediately determine whether there is a security risk.

Wu Fei, chief executive of LLVision, said people should not be worried about privacy concerns because China’s authorities were using the equipment for “noble causes”, catching suspects and fugitives from the law. “We trust the government,” he told Reuters at the company’s headquarters in Beijing.

China is an odd place. But, with communism, they have to know everything.

Most of you guys are used to the Westphalian notion of nation-state.
Just note that western experiences do not work well in explaining China, because it's really this shifting empire with a huge cultural sphere instead of a state.

Doesn't England (London specifically) already have surveillance cameras and facial recognition everywhere? These have been rolling out across the US - lets the police monitor a larger area with a limited force.
I know a few retailers where looking into doing this with Google Glass. the idea was to recognize the customer so you could say their name to welcome them. Creepy as shit.

Would anyone actually want to move to China for any reason? I guess all of the "shitholes" wouldn't mind as it's less of a "shithole".

a. one of 100 minority groups in china? that is a lower score
b. have a face that looks like a person in their database? that is a lower score
c. do a small crime like steal a candy bar? that goes on record for life
d. have bad grades? dont have a good job? your going to have a lower score
e. religious? bad score
f. said something about mao or the government? bad score
g. from a "bad region" such as tibet, manchuria, mongolia or western china (muslim regions) that were conquered under communism? bad score

Crap is crazy.

a. one of 100 minority groups in china? that is a lower score
b. have a face that looks like a person in their database? that is a lower score
c. do a small crime like steal a candy bar? that goes on record for life
d. have bad grades? dont have a good job? your going to have a lower score
e. religious? bad score
f. said something about mao or the government? bad score
g. from a "bad region" such as tibet, manchuria, mongolia or western china (muslim regions) that were conquered under communism? bad score

Crap is crazy.

It is getting even crazier than that....we are getting close to actually detecting mental health state with just basic cameras analyzing sub-dermal blood flow. Even if you spend all your time trying to mask your emotions, they can still detect it (hate/anger = 85%+ accuracy rate). Simply put..we aren't far from being able to detect "intent" even before there is action. Who needs pre-cogs when you have big data.

the idea was to recognize the customer so you could say their name to welcome them. Creepy as shit.

im actually surprised we dont see this as common already, i mean hell, google already knows a ton about anyone who has used the internet or one of their phones already, the least it could do is address us by our names politely

LOL

It is getting even crazier than that....we are getting close to actually detecting mental health state with just basic cameras analyzing sub-dermal blood flow. Even if you spend all your time trying to mask your emotions, they can still detect it (hate/anger = 85%+ accuracy rate). Simply put..we aren't far from being able to detect "intent" even before there is action. Who needs pre-cogs when you have big data.

Source?

Since all companies in China are partnerships with the Government, of course they trust the Government. To say anything else would mean dismissal (at the least).

I literally read today that it is illegal for tibetans to reincarnate without permission from the chinese government. I cant stop laughing about this.

Local police in Beijing have been spotted with “black tech”: namely, AI-powered smart glasses that can scan the faces of vehicle occupants and plates. The information obtained is matched to a database in real-time, allowing authorities to immediately determine whether there is a security risk.

Wu Fei, chief executive of LLVision, said people should not be worried about privacy concerns because China’s authorities were using the equipment for “noble causes”, catching suspects and fugitives from the law. “We trust the government,” he told Reuters at the company’s headquarters in Beijing.

I thought this was an older thread that someone resurrected but it's not. Still, I could have sworn we covered this already awhile back.

Or just vote against this crap. Sure, we're not china, but we can stop it happening here.

Well, I'm not Amerikantsi, but I suspect that democracy won't be saving anyone, anywhere, from this 1984-style shyte.

We live in a ridiculously connected and monitored world and our will to even recognise the small everyday erosions of our privacy and autonomy is constantly being assaulted.

Hell, if I were any more cynical I'd even put good money on us voting for it.

Doesn't England (London specifically) already have surveillance cameras and facial recognition everywhere? .

iirc, London has cameras on nearly every street corner. It may have the most surveillance cameras per capita? or maybe its just highest density of cameras. Or maybe im just spouting fake news. :p

Back