Chinese City Seizes Apple iPads In Name Dispute

HardOCP News

[H] News
I know what a lot of Chinese government official's girlfriends are getting for Valentine's Day!

Authorities have seized Apple iPads from retailers in a city in northern China due to a dispute with a domestic company that says it owns the iPad name, an official said Monday. The Chinese company said it is asking for similar action in more than 20 other cities. The dispute with Shenzhen Proview Technology threatens to complicate Apple's efforts to sell its popular tablet computer in China, its fastest-growing market.

Tell China that once they stop Internet Piracy within their "Great Firewall of China" and costing this countries artists/software developers millions upon millions of dollars, then we will help them....Until...KISS IPADS ASS!!!!

This sort of thing is annoying with the Chinese. They are very blatant about copyright infringement, copying a product, trademark, logo, etc - and won't do anything about it. Where I work, we have a trademark issue battle going right now with a Chinese company - it is not progressing very well at all.

But if they feel that something is being infringed upon, they are all over it.

This sort of thing is annoying with the Chinese. They are very blatant about copyright infringement, copying a product, trademark, logo, etc - and won't do anything about it. Where I work, we have a trademark issue battle going right now with a Chinese company - it is not progressing very well at all.

Yeah, it's some of the most blatant protectionism by courts that I have ever seen.

Apple bought the iPad name from Proview way back in 2006 for around $55,000, but Proview claims it did not sell the rights to the name in China.
Where the fuck else would the rights that they bought be useful for since presumably their trademark only existed in China

I'm just guessing here, but it's possible that Apple would change the name just for China, similar to certain car makers and their "region-specific" model names. So they avoid "buying" the name "in China" and gets to say FU to ProView. lololololol

Given Apple likes to sue everyone under the sun for everything imaginable I find this situation comical. Karma...

As much as I don't like Apple... China's been like this for ages with everyone.

Where the fuck else would the rights that they bought be useful for since presumably their trademark only existed in China

Nope. Proview had that trademark in several countries... including in Europe since 2000, China's was added in 2001.

Apple bought the European rights for $55K... I dont see how China is apart of Europe.

BTW the 1st iPad went on sale in 2010... Apple is gonna take it up the bum on this one.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2498...orities_trademark_dispute_turns_tactical.html

I'm guessing there will be a lot of sightings now of Chinese officials [and family members] using [confiscated] Ipads.;)

5000 years of Chinese history didn't teach them a thing from 1949 to now. They've pissed it all away in the name of fakery.

This is really rich coming from China, the copy-cat and "I'll steal your shit" capitol of the world.

After reading the news story about Apple trying to stop shipments of Galaxy Nexus phones, I can't help but feel like it is nice to see Apple get some of their own medicine thrown back at them.

Apple, the patent troll, meet a Chinese trademark troll :p

So ProView makes feminine hygiene products, right? :p
No made lot of diff electronics things Digital Display & Media, Digital Appliance, Surveillance Camera.
Some people may know them by there Monitor in both CRT and LCD not just there own brand but other Manufacturer model like Mag, KDS Monitor

You know, this could be a win for the CIA. Buy a bunch of Ipads....load them with stealth-ware.......try to sell them in a chinese store.....the Chinese confiscate them and give them around to use. Might be able to pick up some intel.;) heh

dunno..the solution (long-term) is simple...with Apple's cash reserves they can just buy Proview and be done with it.

This is like watching the Patriots and Giants. I wish both sides could lose.

I wish China produced some intellectual property worth stealing or copying. I would be all over that.

Anyone see that Top Gear (S18E02) where they did a segment on how China is producing mass copies of other European / American (?) cars? When BMW brought a lawsuit against the country making a dup of their X5 they replied with something like "Copy? It doesn't look anything like the X5."

yeah, no surprise here. China isn't playing fair because it does't have to. If the country as a whole is guilty of patent infringement then no court in China will ever say otherwise, thus, it isn't doing anything wrong. World court? Why should it need to comply with anything a non-Chinese court dictates? The country doesn't need to import anything therefore they aren't afraid to do whatever the heck they want.

Yet the US sells them aircraft navigation components...Like those aren't going to be used in Chinese military aircraft.

... kicking the soap box down the road

Back