Chinese CE Factories Treat Workers Like Prisoners

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new report from the National Labor Committee says that (brace yourselves) Chinese workers are treated horribly, are overworked and paid a few dollars a day to assemble popular consumer electronics devices. Last month it was horror stories about Apple / Foxconn. This month it is Microsoft, Best Buy, Acer, HP, Samsung, Logitech and others. Unfortunately, this is China we are talking about…all the reports in the world won’t make them change.

What's most worrying isn't just that one factory is treating its workers this way, it's that in all likelihood, there are many factories treating their workers this way, which won't end up the subject of an extensive report by a human rights organization.

Most likely following laws were not complied with:

- offer alcohol to officials
- offer cigarettes to officials
- offer prostitutes to officials
- offer bribery to officials

Thus the high profile "report".

If the workers cared enough they would do something about it. Then they would promptly get sent to prison.

people all over the world want cheap prices and this is the price of it. Why people complain if its not going to a damn thing. If anyone ever rose up the Chinese government would send in the tanks to run over people.

Who's fault is it? In the end is the consumers. If you want cheap without the effects of war this is what happens. How the Chinese Managers, ejem. Government. manage that void is only part of their tradition. Comfort is great isn't it?

Who's fault is it? In the end is the consumers. If you want cheap without the effects of war this is what happens. How the Chinese Managers, ejem. Government. manage that void is only part of their tradition. Comfort is great isn't it?

I really do try to steer clear of stuff made in China. Not only because of the labor but because of the Chinese mantra of relentlessly making things cheaper, which leads to things that break for the stupidest reasons. When it comes to electronics it can be impossible though. In most cases the best you can hope for is made in Taiwan.

This is the same thing the USA went through with heavy industrialization on the early 20th century. Even though the government in the USA allowed more flexibility to change and improve things faster the workers will eventually do something about it.

what I do not get is why a company like Apple.... who is not competing for the cheapest price and cares a lot about image would hire fab factories that treat workers like this...

I mean if I cannot even over pay 2x or 3x for tech and be assured that the workers are getting treated fair.... than something is wrong.

I expect the cheap low end companies to have fab factories like this.... but SONY or APPLE or companies that cater to high end consumers are not needing the ultra low price.

too bad

This is the same thing the USA went through with heavy industrialization on the early 20th century. Even though the government in the USA allowed more flexibility to change and improve things faster the workers will eventually do something about it.

Nope a revolution is not possible, because communication between people is being tightly controlled. If there was free speech, the government would be overthrown.

The problem is not the low pay itself, it's that these people have no choice but to work these terrible jobs. It's either that or die of starvation.

Well, technically they are more free than slaves, since slaves did not even have the option to kill themselves.

Every industrialized country in this world went thru this phase, lets not be hypocritical here...

Nope a revolution is not possible, because communication between people is being tightly controlled. If there was free speech, the government would be overthrown.

Why does there need to be a revolution? Its the free market economy that has created these working conditions in China, if you had a revolution and overthrew the government what would you put in its place that would improve working conditions? Infact the CCP's heavy hand in the economy may be beneficial because it wants to keep the country stable, and there will undoubtedly be mass protest. In response to labor protest, the CCP will most likely enact labor laws to improve working conditions.

Moral of the story: Chinese workers should protest and unless your the ring leader, you will likely only receive a slap on the wrist.

I tried reading the actual report but it stuck me as more propaganda than anything else. I do not doubt that much or even most of it is true but nobody forced these people to take that job. Honestly, how much should somebody who affixes rubber feet onto mice be paid? The alternative is that the company brings in machines and all those people will have no job. That is exactly what will happen the same day that human labor is not cost effective for Chinese businesses. I am sure will be great for the bleeding heart douche bags who will pat themselves on the back for bringing higher working standards to China but the same asswipes will fail to see the actual cost of doing so.

Idiots.

Some of the things a supposedly Chinese author is expressing concern over are non issues. Just a couple of quick examples...the people shown napping at their workstations is far from uncommon. Many Chinese take an hour long siesta after lunch and grab a snooze wherever they may be or they head home if possible. People will sleep on steps, benches, under parked trucks, wherever is handy. Also, the report mentions that they bathe out of a bucket filled with hot water. What is wrong with that? Could be worse...could be cold water.

KYE prefers to hire women 18 to 25 years of age, since they are easier to discipline and control.
While this may be true, there was nothing in the 'report' to back up this claim.

The report harps on the fact that the workers are essentially forced to work 15 hour shifts yet almost 3 hours of that is break. 12 hour days, while long are not unheard of by any stretch of the imagination in other countries including the US. The 7 day a week thing is a bitch no question.

• While working, the young people cannot talk, use their cell phones or listen to music.
  • Workers need permission to use the bathroom or drink water.
  • Security guards search workers' bags and pockets as they leave the factory.
  • Workers are strictly prohibited from entering any work area other than their own.
  • Workers can be fined up to 200 RMB ($29.26), or more than 5 ½ days' wages, for missing a day of work. (People can be fired for missing a day of work in every job I have ever had, I bet many would have paid a fine in order to keep their job)

I fail to see what is so out of the ordinary here. So you cant listen to music or use a cell while working...nothing major. You need permission to pee or get a drink...happens all the time. Can't stray into work areas except those you are approved for...mindblowing!! They have security????? Crazy stuff.

Fined for losing a finger: A worker from Shanxi Province had his index finger chopped off while operating a hole punch press machine while working on an internet camera. Management did rush him to the hospital for emergency treatment. However, after an investigation, management determined that the worker had disobeyed regulations related to operating the punch press machine, so the worker was fined 200 RMB ($29.26) and fired! The foreman and section chief in that department were also fined. Management then rehired the injured worker as a security guard.

I don't see anything wrong with this at all. I actually applaud the fact that immediate supervisors of the dude who lost a finger were actually fired. As to the guy himself being fired...he was rehired as a security guard. Likely something that can be done with 9 fingers. How is this wrong exactly?

Again, I am not saying there are not shitty ass conditions (by my standards) for many workers in China but consider the alternatives. I wonder how many other countries could survive at all, much less actually thrive when they have 1.3 BILLION people to employ. I wonder how much many of these would be earning without this factory.

Naive view: We've got all these factories churning out stuff, we've got lots of productivity, but all that stuff is being exported while a few people on the top of the chinese power hierarchy rake in the profits. There's got to be some way to redirect that productivity to benefit the chinese people instead. How that would be done, I have no idea.

I'm surprised you guys are blaming the government for this, when it's actually China's state of extreme capitalism that causes this. This is precisely where you guys would be if you didn't have good worker benefits regulation and labor laws. Aside from that, there's really no difference from you and them.

Is someone going to tell me now that capitalism leads to social equity? These are not lazy punks that have nothing to do, don't want to do anything, and live on welfare. These guys work every bit as hard as you, but their conditions and opportunities are limited.

Anyhow, figuring out a good set of laws, and implementing them properly, while trying to develop your country's economy, and keep your workers competitive, is a difficult task.

Unfortunately most everything in China apparently uses this captive labor model.

I watched a documentary called "China Blue", it perfectly documented how this works. It follows one teenage girl from Rural China into factory life (in a Blue Jeans factory). I say life, because the girls live at the factory.

It is appalling. Young girls leave to work in the factories because they aren't as useful on the farms. They Live at the factories, in Factory dorms. Work hours were typically 14 hours day. Essentially Work/eat/sleep with no time for anything else, and no time wasted commuting, since they live in the Factory and they get paid next to nothing.

The hilarious part of the documentary was when the western buyers come to visit. They do guided tours and the workers are told to be happy. Or the western buyers come to try and squeeze the price down another dollar (on jeans being made for under $5).

At least on clothes you can find some non China sources, but computers/gadgets, it is near impossible. Sad that collective greed brought us to dependence on one of the worlds more oppressive regimes.

Sad that collective greed brought us to dependence on one of the worlds more oppressive regimes.

Yep, you said it right there. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do, unless you're either filthy rich, or the average quality of life in China keeps increasing. Your best bet is to push their economy and increase the average quality of life, which will let more people prosper. This generation may not be saveable, but you can certainly make a difference for the next.

If the workers cared enough they would do something about it. Then they would promptly get sent to prison.

Exactly my thoughts. We had bad work conditions during the industrial revolution and then we created unions to fix those problems and now we don't really need unions because we have federal laws in place to protect workers. Too bad that would never fly in China.

I'm surprised you guys are blaming the government for this, when it's actually China's state of extreme capitalism that causes this. This is precisely where you guys would be if you didn't have good worker benefits regulation and labor laws.

This is not true at all. I don't care to get into an argument over it, but I hope other people will actually think about it before blindly assuming "extreme" capitalism is bad. China is not very free economically anyways so your statement doesn't even make sense.

This is not true at all. I don't care to get into an argument over it, but I hope other people will actually think about it before blindly assuming "extreme" capitalism is bad. China is not very free economically anyways so your statement doesn't even make sense.

Of course you don't, because you don't have an argument. Oh wait, you do? Give it your best shot. I'm listening.

Extreme capitalism is never about the good of society, that is for sure. It's about a sustainable and competitive money-making model, which is indirectly both good and bad (has elements of both) for society. I'm not advocating communism, but just letting you know that as of yet, we still don't have a perfect system, and the deficiencies of this system are in part what's causing the problem mentioned in the article. Government regulation is another thing, as well as worker attitudes, and average quality of life.

Nah he's right. Sadly China is marching quickly towards Corporatism. What the state can already get away with they're now letting corporations get away with as well. It doesn't matter which one comes first; erosion of civil rights is erosion of civil rights. <start U.S. rant> This is what both major parties the US are moving towards right now; an unhealthy trust in "capitalism". (in quotes because that's how they sell it) If we don't get corporate money out of politics we'll have a very similar "working class" as these Chinese citizens within a few generations. When the wealth gap grows, the majority loose.

Let's take it back eh? Know your enemy; it's not just government, it's the people who pull the strings. Both parties right now are deep in the pocket of corporate interests. We can do this... don't believe anyone who claims to speak for your best interest, figure it out for yourself. <end U.S. rant>

Personally I think it is these mistreatment that really attracts all the foreign investors to set up their factories there. Cheap labor that has no rights and no laws to protect them, companies are free to exploit them, forced to work long hours with no compensation, etc etc. Its unethical but which company doesn't what such cheap labors?

I'm not saying the Chinese government isn't responsible here, they are to be blamed too, but these foreign companies pretty much willingly participated in all these wrongdoings as well, some sort like a partner in crime.

Had China imposed laws as strict as those in North America or Europe, I doubt we'll see as many Made In China goods as we do today ;)

I wonder if this is why when I had to buy a hub assembly for my car (front wheal bearing) I had two choices, a Chinese one at $47 retail, or a Timkin USA made one for $170 retail?

I did chose the $180 one. It was $85 after our corp discount.

Extreme ideology of any sort is negative.

Seek out and watch "China Blue" to get a good picture of what is involved.
http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/chinablue/

It is extreme capitalism, free of any rules(there are rules, but they are ignored). This isn't a state run communist factory. It is a capitalist sweat shop, run by a wealthy Chinese capitalist.

What drives degradations in the conditions even lower, are western buyers squeezing the Chinese factories for lower prices, faster deliveries. The factory owner is already running near break even, so he squeezes the workers even harder, delaying their pay, paying them less.

I wish the USA wasn't so in bed with China. They hold the majority of our debt. The Chinese had to finance Obama's stimulus and bailout packages. The Chinese were even worried about the incredible amount of debt the USA was incurring and warned that they wouldn't buy more bonds if they didn't feel they would see their money. Hillary Clinton even went over there to assure the Chinese government that the USA would default on all of the debt. In short the Chinese government wants their money and interest. And you and I are paying for this interest.

Back in April 2000 when the Chinese pilot rammed our P-3 forcing them to make an emergency landing in China I couldn't believe they were detaining our crewmen and refusing to release them. We should have cut off all ties with them back then. But we continue to kiss their butts.

Now everyone wants cheap stuff. If a TV that was built in the USA cost $200 more would we the consumers be willing to buy it? Probably not. Well that's what has happened. Companies like Apple are more concerned with pleasing investors and the stock market by cutting costs than in supporting the USA economy; the very place where they sell most of their overpriced products. What would Apple's stock price be if their iWhatevers were assembled in Chicago rather than China? So as previously said the consumers are to blame. Part of that blame goes to the investors as well.

I wish the USA wasn't so in bed with China. They hold the majority of our debt. The Chinese had to finance Obama's stimulus and bailout packages.

1. No they didn't, our "fed" just printed the money. (in quotes because it's not actually federal, but a private entity)
2. Bush's cabinet authored the initial bailout.

Again, our problems aren't single party-based, so to say something like "Obama's" is assigning blame to an individual for a nation's problems. Both parties have you screwed right now, so let's act accordingly.

Personally I think it is these mistreatment that really attracts all the foreign investors to set up their factories there. Cheap labor that has no rights and no laws to protect them, companies are free to exploit them, forced to work long hours with no compensation, etc etc. Its unethical but which company doesn't what such cheap labors?

I'm not saying the Chinese government isn't responsible here, they are to be blamed too, but these foreign companies pretty much willingly participated in all these wrongdoings as well, some sort like a partner in crime.

Had China imposed laws as strict as those in North America or Europe, I doubt we'll see as many Made In China goods as we do today ;)

You are correct to some extent. You'd also see a far worse living and working situation for many of the people involved without the factories. You think sticking rubber feet on mice is hard work? How about farming for a living, earning less than a third of what you can make in the factories, and generally far worse living conditions with little to no hope of your children doing any better. Sound like a future? Hell no it doesn't.

You guys can look for people to blame but I can say with a fair bit of certainty that most Chinese will pick the factory over the farm. Funny thing is one of the major insults there is in China is to refer to somebody as a farmer.

Also, NA and European labor laws took a long time to evolve. Let China be China and their labor situation will change and mature at some point. Keep in mind though, simply because of the sheer number of Chinese who need jobs, if there is a way to do a task manually, it will be done that way in most cases. That means shitty jobs. Just not as shitty as the farm.

...and to those rattling on about pure capitalism and all that, it does not work. No form of 'pure' ideology or economics will work outside of a textbook or a pseudo intellectual discussion.

Naive view: We've got all these factories churning out stuff, we've got lots of productivity, but all that stuff is being exported while a few people on the top of the chinese power hierarchy rake in the profits. There's got to be some way to redirect that productivity to benefit the chinese people instead. How that would be done, I have no idea.

i see what you did there, you sneaky bastard! :p

Also, NA and European labor laws took a long time to evolve. Let China be China and their labor situation will change and mature at some point.

I find your continued defense of what amounts to slave labor, as both ridiculous and repulsive.

I wish the USA wasn't so in bed with China. They hold the majority of our debt. The Chinese had to finance Obama's stimulus and bailout packages. The Chinese were even worried about the incredible amount of debt the USA was incurring and warned that they wouldn't buy more bonds if they didn't feel they would see their money. Hillary Clinton even went over there to assure the Chinese government that the USA would default on all of the debt. In short the Chinese government wants their money and interest. And you and I are paying for this interest.

Back in April 2000 when the Chinese pilot rammed our P-3 forcing them to make an emergency landing in China I couldn't believe they were detaining our crewmen and refusing to release them. We should have cut off all ties with them back then. But we continue to kiss their butts.

Now everyone wants cheap stuff. If a TV that was built in the USA cost $200 more would we the consumers be willing to buy it? Probably not. Well that's what has happened. Companies like Apple are more concerned with pleasing investors and the stock market by cutting costs than in supporting the USA economy; the very place where they sell most of their overpriced products. What would Apple's stock price be if their iWhatevers were assembled in Chicago rather than China? So as previously said the consumers are to blame. Part of that blame goes to the investors as well.

The worse bit is the fact that they won't play nicely with our exports so the money only flows one way. they will even stoop to devaluing their currency.

im sorry but china did this to them selves if they wanted to pay there workers fairly they would
dont care as long as jobs keep getting sent over seas

easy fix STOP MAKING SHIT IN CHINA

Why does there need to be a revolution? Its the free market economy that has created these working conditions in China, if you had a revolution and overthrew the government what would you put in its place that would improve working conditions? Infact the CCP's heavy hand in the economy may be beneficial because it wants to keep the country stable, and there will undoubtedly be mass protest. In response to labor protest, the CCP will most likely enact labor laws to improve working conditions.

Moral of the story: Chinese workers should protest and unless your the ring leader, you will likely only receive a slap on the wrist.

By stable, you mean comfortable. Like most poor people that poke at the rich because they take risks and get results. Yeah, really stable.

I tried reading the actual report but it stuck me as more propaganda than anything else. I do not doubt that much or even most of it is true but nobody forced these people to take that job. Honestly, how much should somebody who affixes rubber feet onto mice be paid? The alternative is that the company brings in machines and all those people will have no job. That is exactly what will happen the same day that human labor is not cost effective for Chinese businesses. I am sure will be great for the bleeding heart douche bags who will pat themselves on the back for bringing higher working standards to China but the same asswipes will fail to see the actual cost of doing so.

Idiots.

Some of the things a supposedly Chinese author is expressing concern over are non issues. Just a couple of quick examples...the people shown napping at their workstations is far from uncommon. Many Chinese take an hour long siesta after lunch and grab a snooze wherever they may be or they head home if possible. People will sleep on steps, benches, under parked trucks, wherever is handy. Also, the report mentions that they bathe out of a bucket filled with hot water. What is wrong with that? Could be worse...could be cold water.

While this may be true, there was nothing in the 'report' to back up this claim.

The report harps on the fact that the workers are essentially forced to work 15 hour shifts yet almost 3 hours of that is break. 12 hour days, while long are not unheard of by any stretch of the imagination in other countries including the US. The 7 day a week thing is a bitch no question.

• While working, the young people cannot talk, use their cell phones or listen to music.
  • Workers need permission to use the bathroom or drink water.
  • Security guards search workers' bags and pockets as they leave the factory.
  • Workers are strictly prohibited from entering any work area other than their own.
  • Workers can be fined up to 200 RMB ($29.26), or more than 5 ½ days' wages, for missing a day of work. (People can be fired for missing a day of work in every job I have ever had, I bet many would have paid a fine in order to keep their job)

I fail to see what is so out of the ordinary here. So you cant listen to music or use a cell while working...nothing major. You need permission to pee or get a drink...happens all the time. Can't stray into work areas except those you are approved for...mindblowing!! They have security????? Crazy stuff.

I don't see anything wrong with this at all. I actually applaud the fact that immediate supervisors of the dude who lost a finger were actually fired. As to the guy himself being fired...he was rehired as a security guard. Likely something that can be done with 9 fingers. How is this wrong exactly?

Again, I am not saying there are not shitty ass conditions (by my standards) for many workers in China but consider the alternatives. I wonder how many other countries could survive at all, much less actually thrive when they have 1.3 BILLION people to employ. I wonder how much many of these would be earning without this factory.

Sounds like you were born 150 years too late for the first meeting of the Confederate congress. :cool:

I'm sure we'd still see a lot of "Made in China" goods. Labor is still cheaper there than NA/EU.

Even if we pay more to better their living conditions, It'd still cost less. $0.52 an hour for their employees or like $7+ dollars an hour in the NA/EU. I don't know the wage of a factory worker in the NA/EU, so I'm just making a guess.

I really do try to steer clear of stuff made in China. Not only because of the labor but because of the Chinese mantra of relentlessly making things cheaper, which leads to things that break for the stupidest reasons. When it comes to electronics it can be impossible though. In most cases the best you can hope for is made in Taiwan.

You know that sense of disgust you get when they choke with that kind of stuff. There's no sense of well being in this world at that level. The bigger things get the more you see the flaws in humanity. I just worry of making my life the best. The problem with victims and victimizes is that there's a point in the relationship when they become both guilty.

By stable, you mean comfortable. Like most poor people that poke at the rich because they take risks and get results. Yeah, really stable.

Yes take risks and get results and then get the government to bail them out and get everyone else to pay for their mistakes while touting the virtues of the free market (ha ha) and self sufficiency while raising the spectre of "socialism"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back