China: All Your WeChat Data Are Belong to Us

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
WeChat has confirmed that it may give your personal data to the Chinese government: the company updated its privacy statement, declaring that it will retain, preserve, or disclose the personal information of its users under certain circumstances.

WeChat is the most popular messaging service in China, it’s the local equivalent to WhatsApp or Messenger. It proposes an alternative to the mainstream messaging service regularly blocked in the country. The terms indicate the app will now expose personal information such as name, contacts, email address and even location if users have chosen to share it with the service. This follows other recent aggressive actions by the Chinese government to control online activities.

being in china, i would have expected them to already be doing that

We do, as in, we already were, now it's in a document in case we need to refer to a document for doing it.

Like, China has literally shot dissidents in the street, you think they give a fuck that you know they have your data? Fuck no!

Tiananmen square.

Ties in nicely with the US government's pressure on Google and Microsoft to do similar things, I guess it's all fair game now, everyone's gonna be wrestling in the mud.

Last edited:
Well there are alternatives like Signal. But using that will likely draw even more attention to yourself.

WeChat controlled by Communistic Big Brother?

I'm glad I wasn't born in China

If you were born there you wouldn't be having this conversation most likely. People in China, for the most part, are A-OK with how the government does/controls things.

Back