Chieftek is back?

i was pointing out the mangled plain ol grey ide cable ;)
seriously though, that build look just like the numerous ones i put together back then. the round ide, the loom, the power wire routing, even the way you bundled up the front panel cables at the bottom. minus the external loop of course. we built that one for the shop use/display only. :)

That's not the same picture he quoted though. But yea I did notice that on Nebulous' build. I know exactly the feeling of that cable though! You get it all built then add in yet another HDD and that's what you end up with. It's funny to me because I'm sure he was swapping out parts like mad, so it was probably cleaned up at some point, just not in that particular picture. Not like you just pulled out your cellphone and snapped a pic during that time so you only have a few pictures to look through.

I think you did a great job Nebulous and I'm kind of glad I sparked the retro build pics. Like I said in mine I know how difficult it was to hide anything in that case, so you had to just kind of route it in a way that looked okay because there is no where you can tuck it into. I can also see where it looks like you also had to straddle the GPU with HDDs because it was going to hit otherwise. That's why that case looks great on the outside, but isn't really the most idea layout on the inside. I'd definitely take a modern version of the case with the same exterior, but have the interior reworked to be more modern. It would probably need to be a "retro" line, but I definitely like the look of that case.

Yeah those are DIY brackets to mount thin 60mm fans under the HHD's to keep them cool. I ran out of 80mm fans in the HDD cage so I had to make due with what I had

Holy cow that just made me remember something I totally forgot about. Yes there is a spot in the front of the bottom HDD cage to put an 80mm fan into, but the top cage you didn't have an adapter to put one in, and that lined up with the 3.5" bay anyway. So to cool the top drive in the cage at one point I had a dual fan cooler that you mounted to the bottom of the hdd. That worked with one HDD, but when I put in the second drive it wouldn't all fit.

It looked something like this, but the ones I had looked a bit nicer than these newer versions.

PC-Sata-Ide-3.5-Hard-Disk-Drive-HDD-Fan-Cooler.jpg

Last edited:
Back in ~2000 the case cost me far more than that. Remember, we aren't all located in the US and outside the US anything related to tech tends to incur higher charges.
from memory, i was paying almost £80+VAT for the Antec version at trade in single units & £5 less per unit in 10s. that was with a 300w psu (also from memory). The Cheiftec case wasn't much cheaper if I recall correctly in the UK at the time.

I want to say that literally weeks after I posted this topic I got what I really wanted which was some awesome screens of a case that has quickly been forgotten but was for a long time, really longer than any other case, was considered THE case to have if you were really a builder. It was the last case that you could buy and pretend that your system was the same as a custom system. If you can remember, Alienware took the case and simply put the Alienware skull on the front and lit it up. That glowing skull on the front of this case led to so much. If you were a builder in the early days you cannot tell me that showing your friends on your crt monitor that your case was exactly the same as alienware's and that you built the same system for half was not the best feeling in the world.

I want to say that literally weeks after I posted this topic I got what I really wanted which was some awesome screens of a case that has quickly been forgotten but was for a long time, really longer than any other case, was considered THE case to have if you were really a builder. It was the last case that you could buy and pretend that your system was the same as a custom system. If you can remember, Alienware took the case and simply put the Alienware skull on the front and lit it up. That glowing skull on the front of this case led to so much. If you were a builder in the early days you cannot tell me that showing your friends on your crt monitor that your case was exactly the same as alienware's and that you built the same system for half was not the best feeling in the world.

The ones I have look like this one minus the alienware badge on the door. Wish I had bought more of them back then, since they are rteally nice cases.

Attachments

• td7gezusv9n41.jpg
    td7gezusv9n41.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 0
from memory, i was paying almost £80+VAT for the Antec version at trade in single units & £5 less per unit in 10s. that was with a 300w psu (also from memory). The Cheiftec case wasn't much cheaper if I recall correctly in the UK at the time.

Was that he full tower? Mine was huge, it was so tall that the PSU cables wouldn't reach from the top to the bottom of the case. Full ATX motherboards looked oddly small in it.

I have an Ultra Aluminus with an AMD Athlon 64 collecting dust in storage. I think Ultra was the Tiger Direct house brand and they used Chieftec designed or contracted cases.

I must have built 6 PCs for people using Chieftec cases. Then Antec stepped up design a little bit and I started using those.

i was pointing out the mangled plain ol grey ide cable ;)
seriously though, that build look just like the numerous ones i put together back then. the round ide, the loom, the power wire routing, even the way you bundled up the front panel cables at the bottom. minus the external loop of course. we built that one for the shop use/display only. :)

Yeah. That was my first attempt at wire management. I tried the Black tape, but with the warmth it eventually came apart and sticky as hell and coated with dust bunnies! :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Found the picture of mine.. bought it a few months back. Some old computer shop about 15 miles from me was selling these two cases for $30 so I grabbed them.

ZQIL3Rb.jpg

Haven't built the Chieftec yet (putting my Rambus P4 in it), but I put my Dual CPU 1GHz P3 into the tall case.

43frd1Z.jpg

J9QqtMN.jpg

Last edited:
Back