Chernobylite

Came across this trailer while showing the HBO trailer for their upcoming Chernobyl mini-series to my in-laws last night.

Still in development but looks promising.

2-minute Story Trailer

30-minute pre-Alpha gameplay

Chernobyl is still the scariest real-life event in my lifetime...I think that's what makes those S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games even better is the real-life aspect...seeing the empty towns around the blast, the ferris wheels etc is really creepy...some real life mutated creatures and zombies are probably living there

Chernobyl is still the scariest real-life event in my lifetime...I think that's what makes those S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games even better is the real-life aspect...seeing the empty towns around the blast, the ferris wheels etc is really creepy...some real life mutated creatures and zombies are probably living there

False, Jeremy Wade would've found em, didn't you see that episode of River Monsters?

False, Jeremy Wade would've found em, didn't you see that episode of River Monsters?

That episode was awesome and that was a huge catfish he caught in Chernobyl's reservoir!

I'd like to visit there some day, that and the abandoned Woodpecker.

If you're unsure about the mutations that came from the Chernobyl disaster, check this site. But be warned it's graphic.

https://feww.wordpress.com/tag/chernobyl-disaster/

Last edited:
Chernobylite is a great game already even while its in early access and it has a lot of quality content already. There is still a lot that needs to be completed and a lot of game mechanics and features are only partially implemented but so far its looking great! The game does still have quite a few bugs but the developers are definitely onto fixing them in a timely and logical maner as well as they listen to the community of players to make sure that they do things right. Chernobylite is a great survival horror with plenty of suspense, good writing, quality content and amazing visuals. Clearly lot of effort is going into the development of the game and its got a lot of potential. If you were already considering buying the game I recommend you buy it as long as you understand that it is still in early access and comes with the things you'd expect from a quality early access release.

Here is a video of benchmarks comparing the graphics settings in Chernobylite on an RTX 2080 Ti KPE (I recommend a powerful PC to get the most out of how beautiful Chernobylite is)

Last edited:
Chernobylite Release Date - announcement trailer! [PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One]

July 2021...Chernobylite will also benefit from its last Early Access 20% discount on Steam from April 23- April 30th...The Farm 51 have previously announced that any purchase made during Early Access will guarantee all future, post-launch DLCs for free...

Nice. I bought this in EA I'm waiting for it to release before playing it.
Love that unashamedly over the top British narration.

What kind of a game is this? Story based? Rogue-like? Grindy? Or is it more like STALKER or Metro?

From descriptions it seems like it is rouge-like, with permanent death of the character. But gameplay I watch has it looking a bit more like a more grindy Metro/STALKER mix.

It's out now is anyone playing this if so impressions? How stable is it?
Been pretty stable for my setup. Using the latest Nvidia drivers, running 4k just fine. It is a taxing game and looks good too.

Overall I do like the feel of the game. Somethings do bug me, but not enough to make me stop playing. I would say right now with about 10 hours in? Maybe a 8/10. Still lots to do!

How long does a single player run take? 15 or so hours? Wondering because a lot of people comment on the early access builds and I'm unsure if the final game has more content.

How long does a single player run take? 15 or so hours? Wondering because a lot of people comment on the early access builds and I'm unsure if the final game has more content.
I am about 15 hours in, still need to find 1 more person for my camp. No idea how close I am to the end of the story, but I got quite a few story lines left it looks like?

Of course I am the kind of person that tries to do everything, and find everything.

Screw that if true.
I read it was like 30 mins or something. It was on the official steam forum, I just never checked back to see if it had been changed.

** edit**
Looks like the time limit was changed. Now random weather anomalies and random encounters with your nemesis serve a similar function.

For anyone playing this, are you getting stuttering as well? Any fixes? Latest Nvidia drivers, graphic settings all maxed out give me around 120 frame rates according to the benchmark but there are notable stutters.

It's a bad gameplay mechanic that no developer should ever have thought of.

Time limits on levels have been around since arcades, DOS, atari, NES, like this is not some new thing. I think it adds stress and tension personally, it really is one of those things that "depends on the execution of it" comes into play.

Time limits on levels have been around since arcades, DOS, atari, NES, like this is not some new thing. I think it adds stress and tension personally, it really is one of those things that "depends on the execution of it" comes into play.
I'm well aware of that. However, in modern games they need to be used sparingly and where it makes sense. They shouldn't be in every mission.

I'm well aware of that. However, in modern games they need to be used sparingly and where it makes sense. They shouldn't be in every mission.

Agree. Also noticed your sig our rigs are similar, how's the 10900k working for you? I "downgraded" from a Ryzen for 10850k and it's better, or at least feels better.

Arcade time limits were mostly to get you to insert more coins. DOS time limits were usually a mechanic of it being shareware or a demo.

Modern successful games do not employ this, and have not for a very long time. I would have entirely skipped this game if those metrics were still in it. And judging by all the reviews I read, most gamers complained and the dev changed it. It’s not a good look imo for modern games.

Agree. Also noticed your sig our rigs are similar, how's the 10900k working for you? I "downgraded" from a Ryzen for 10850k and it's better, or at least feels better.
Well, our CPU's aren't all that different and both are running Z490 motherboards, but I think that's largely where the similarities end. That said, it's working fine. I'm running everything at 4K, so the CPU choice makes less of a difference than it would for someone at 1920x1080. However, I was going to go with a Ryzen 9 5950X, but wanted to upgrade prior to Cyberpunk 2077's release. That's also why I went with an RTX 3090, that and as luck would have it I got one without paying scalper pricing. It's holding up well. I've got an 11900K on the test bench and while it's faster at lower resolutions, it's meaningless at 4K and actually worse on applications. I've felt no real need to upgrade.

I do have several X570 boards laying around but this late in the product cycle, I'm skipping the 5950X which is now available.

Not quite sure I get how some of the things work in the game. Trying to build a Chernobylite Burner, have the machine that makes it, more than enough generators, still can't seem to craft one. Too much resource gathering for my tastes. Just making a few lockpicks (which are required to progress in the game) will kill a few missions worth of resources before building anything else.

Edit: This game doesn't make any sense. You need to recruit characters to finish the story. At the same time, the game will not let you progress if you recruit them. I'm not sure if it is a bug or if they had no idea what they wanted the player to do. Add in repeating missions and the same is a dud.

Last edited:
So what exactly are "events"? Seems like this patch will include a new map (or maybe already included) and new evens.

DLC Roadmap.

Another DLC, Red Trees, will have new story missions and a new map. It has "$ Content Pack" below it, so I am unsure if that is paid? Or is the paid content something else? Final events come in Q4. Wondering if those are worth waiting for or if I should just jump into the new DLC with the maps/missions now.

Them problem is this has some of the worst DLSS implementation I've ever seen. It is extremely blurry and there is such a loss of detail even at medium and close distances. The Quality setting looks worse than most games Performance setting.

So while the ray tracing might look nice the frame rate hit is too large. I was getting around 30 or so frame rates at 2560x1440 with an RTX 3070. Because of how bad DLSS looks in this game, I couldn't use it and therefore turned ray tracing off.

The new map is more of the same, but okay to play through. There are some cards for your characters ex-wife scattered around the map which I assume are the "events". It adds a bit to the game but I am not going to bother finding all of them. For new players it will probably add some life to the world.

I just started playing this tonight.

I was hoping I'd like it, as on its surface it should be right up my alley, but I just cant force it any longer.

Graphics are very pretty. Russian voice acting is good, but a little exaggerated, deep and gravely. English voice acting is ridiculously bad. I started with Russian audio and English subtitles, but found that all too often there is talking during action scenes, and the reading of the subtitles prevents me from responding to the action appropriately.

So I switched to English audio and turned of subtitles (requiring a restart of the game and lost progress, because apparently a savegame just creates a previosu checkpoint, and doesn't save your current progress)

English audio was so bad that I only lasted a few minutes. Even knowing that I'd have to repeat and lose progress I didn't care. I had to switch back.

The story is weird. it is artistically manufactured and unexplained mystery for the sake of mystery. This guy Igor should know why he is there, but they leave the player in the dark.

I'm only about 2 hours in thus far (including configuration) but thus far it seems to just be a resource gathering game. Go out, gather resources, build base, so your companion is happy. (aww poor Olivier had to sleep on the floor because I didn't have enough mushrooms to make him a bed. (!?)

MAKE YOUR OWN FUCKING MUSHROOM BED OLIVIER!

At 2 hours in I think I'm hating this game. it already feels grindy as all hell for no apparent reason.

I'm going to give it another try another day just in case I am in a grumpy mood or something, but thus far these 2 hours have absolutely not been enjoyable.

Anyone want to help me out and let me know if it gets any better, or am I wasting my time?

Last edited:
It gets better, eventually you have so many resources you just end up filling lockers and lockers of them. Or just drop them. The story mission consequences are fairly good. Trying to balance all characters and ensure you get the full ending may require you to go back and re-do a mission to get a different outcome.

It gets better, eventually you have so many resources you just end up filling lockers and lockers of them. Or just drop them. The story mission consequences are fairly good. Trying to balance all characters and ensure you get the full ending may require you to go back and re-do a mission to get a different outcome.

Thank you for posting this.

It was among the things that convinced me to give it another try, despite not liking it at first. I have warmed up to it now, and am starting to enjoy it.

For anyone playing this, are you getting stuttering as well? Any fixes? Latest Nvidia drivers, graphic settings all maxed out give me around 120 frame rates according to the benchmark but there are notable stutters.

I am having this same issue. Random stutters.

The game actually seems a little fragile. One time when I started it it was acting up and stuttering a lot. It was solved by quitting and launching it again.

This does not affect any other titles on my system, so I presume it is just an issue with this title.

Back