• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

"checking media presence no media present"

peppergomez

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Sep 15, 2011
Messages
3,479
I can no longer boot my laptop into Windows and get this error message:

"checking media presence no media present"

I checked the BIOS as oer these instructions but do not see PXE Boot as an option

"Please refer these suggestions:


1. Boot into BIOS settings of your device, in the Boot section, configure PXE boot and set it to Disable.


2. In the BIOS settings, set your hard drive at the top priority for the boot order.


3. If you've a Dell manufactured system for local use, in the BIOS settings, disable 'Onboard Nic ipv4', 'Onboard Nic ipv6'. Don't do this, if your system is connected to organization/work/school account."


I ran diagnostics but didn't get an error about a missing hard drive
Here is what I see in Boot section in BIOS:

1000004580.jpg




I'm assuming the worst here, that my only drive on my laptop has died, but want to see what other options I have.

Windows did not provide me with any kind of warnings that the drive was malunctioning. This just happened out of the blue.

If there's no software option to troubleshoot this is it worth opening the laptop and reconnecting or repeating the drive?
 
its still seeing the boot manager, so it still sees the drive. id disable both ip boots, and/or move boot manager to the top. the "main" page should show the drive.
 
IIRC, the checking media presence thing is an IP boot function. Move your Windows boot manager to the first boot device. If your drive works, it should boot. If it doesn't, then you have other issues.
 
Hmm OK so I did that but when I reboot I don't get to windows, just to the BIOS
I see it recognizes the SSD not sure what is going on

I had a windows boot thumbdrive ages ago but can no longer find it
Without my laptop into only have my android tablet, no other computer

1000004631.jpg




1000004630.jpg
 
Last edited:
looks like the cmos battery died(time/date off), so it probably lost a setting. did you have it in a raid or had changed it to legacy mode? could try the add and look on the efi partition, see if it just "forgot" it.
 
OK

No RAID or legacy

There was a power surge the other day. It's on a power strip but it's a cheap one so it probably messed with it. I'll make buying a better strip a priority this week.

I will Google effi partition since I don't know what that is. What would I be looking for and any ideas on what I need to change?
 
Bios setting was set to RAID switched it to AHCI now it boots and ran a repair but still won't boot to Windows. Running advanced repair and it is checking the disk errors and attempting repairs which is encouraging. I wonder if I should open it up and reseat the drive?

Then stop code:

1000004682.jpg
 
The repair didn't work, sill inaccessible boot device.
Assuming next i need to open it and repeat the drive,

Also didn't mention that the date and time in the BIOS were set back to 2009 so definitely some BIOS settings were messed by the recent power surge.

What do you guys recommend?
 
put a new cmos battery in it first, so it doesnt reset on you again. then continue.
 
Back
Top