check out this HL2 bug

anasazi

Limp Gawd
i finally got HL2 working, and after playing for a little bit i come outside and this is what i see:

hl2screwup.jpg

btw, as soon as it started rendering like this my framerates went from crap to crappy

OOOOOHHHH...trippy. I'm having a problem similar to that, except the textures are missing triangles here and there. This really bites!

I have seen that only after changing the video settings without restarting the game. Once I restarted the game (not steam), it went back to normal. Same thing for CS:Source.

may be an issue with your vid card drivers and compatability to the game - try updating your drivers

That's crazy lookin. I had some problems like that in FarCry before. It was a driver issue.

System Specs? Drivers?

In the "old" half life engine, if there were textures missing, or corrput, you'd get the black and purple checks.. annoying, but usually had nothing to do with the card or drivers - it boiled down to some files.
Could be different now - but those purple and black squares sure look familar.
Peace,
Tim

Oh, that's part of the Valve tie-in with Matrix Online. Wait until Gordon eats the red pill... (kidding, kidding)

I get a similar problem. I have occasional checkboard texutres and more frequant wirefram objects. I have tried 4 different drivers, no luck

A64 2800+
1GB KHX3200
6800Ultra

Hopefully there is a fix

i have a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop :)

Geforce4 GO 4200 64mb edition

P4M 2.4ghz
1gb RAM
enough HD space :)

sure, not exactly a radeon x800, but it works most of the time... plus, games in WIDESCREEN are simply bad-ass.

i've used two drivers, one hacked one for better peformance on mobile chips and then the reference drivers from nvidia.com, no change ... even restarted the game and the computer multiple times, still there ... also changed appearance settings, adjusted them down ... same results.

can't really play, the wierdo missing textures make the game nearly impossible to play.

anasazi, did you happen to get your problem fixed?
I just ran into a graphical technical issue similar to yours and can't seem to solve it. Im pissed off. Right around where your screen shot is, where you just get your first gun off the two guards, there are parts of buildings, floors, simply textures that are not being displayed, instead sides of buildings or floors have a checkerboard of black and purple boxes. At first I thought this might be due to errors caused by oc'ing or whatnot so i stepped down. Still same thing, then i messed with video options, then i just installed the 4.11 drivers over the 4.12 betas, and i still have the same thing. Like in your screen shot, i have that black/purple thing all of my textures but my wireframes are fine.
Could this be an error in the game or the files and that for some verrrry strange reasons these textures werent downloaded or are corrupted. Because every single time I reboot and go back to this part of the game, its the same places of the level that are missing the textures. Any ideas?
How do i grab screen shots so i can post?

acesea said:
anasazi, did you happen to get your problem fixed?
I just ran into a graphical technical issue similar to yours and can't seem to solve it. Im pissed off. Right around where your screen shot is, where you just get your first gun off the two guards, there are parts of buildings, floors, simply textures that are not being displayed, instead sides of buildings or floors have a checkerboard of black and purple boxes. At first I thought this might be due to errors caused by oc'ing or whatnot so i stepped down. Still same thing, then i messed with video options, then i just installed the 4.11 drivers over the 4.12 betas, and i still have the same thing. Like in your screen shot, i have that black/purple thing all of my textures but my wireframes are fine.
Could this be an error in the game or the files and that for some verrrry strange reasons these textures werent downloaded or are corrupted. Because every single time I reboot and go back to this part of the game, its the same places of the level that are missing the textures. Any ideas?
How do i grab screen shots so i can post?

The east way i think is to DL fraps. Handiest tool around. Shows your FPS, does benchmarks, takes screens, and record vidoes. Thorws is all in the fraps folder to be viewed later. Other its print screen, paste in paint, save. Or checkt the options, the game may have a take screenshot key, im not sure.

Well i just found out others are having a similar problem to mine. Heres a pic i found:

d1_trainstation_010000.jpg

Except like i said, this checkerboard is all over my level.

good god, dont you guys watch tv.
its from the show reboot, must be a reference, you gotta walk into the purple thing to get into the game. i dont recall seeing glitch anywhere so you might be screwed....

i have absolutely no problems running hl2 with the pc in my sig, and ive played all the way to nova prospect. Id try updating your video drivers, or change some video settings.

if you read my post i actually already tried a bunch of other drivers and settings. i think as a last resort im gonna delete and redownload the game all over again. this is ridiculous, after i just finally dled it in the first place.

so, do you keep installing the drivers over eachohter, or are you running driver cleaner with every new install?

i highly doubt redownloading the game will make a lick of difference.

I had kind of similar issues in CS:S but boxes and stuff would just be black not purple checker'd and wire frame ...it would happen when I had to wait 'on hold" so to speak waiting to get on a server ..and all I had to do was just disconnect and reconnect to the same server to redownload , or whatever, that particular map as I didnt get all the textures the first time around ...

..so the similarity of it could mean you just need to reinstall the game perhaps to get the missing textures back in there ..or dl from steam if you bought retail version ( vivendi uses 2x HP CDR's to copy off their distro's :p )

nope still havn't fixed it :(

i've reinstalled drivers multiple times, no luck ... i might just end up reinstalling windows anyways due it it being over a year since its been done.

i can't play the game with it like this because it slows down to a crawl and you can't see things that you need to see to complete the game :(

Sorry some of you guys are still having problems. After I deleted and reinstalled/dled the game its running smooth as butter without a hickup. Either the files were actually corrupted, or over last night when i was dling valve released some sort of update for the game that fixed it. In any case I am happy so far.

acesea said:
Sorry some of you guys are still having problems. After I deleted and reinstalled/dled the game its running smooth as butter without a hickup. Either the files were actually corrupted, or over last night when i was dling valve released some sort of update for the game that fixed it. In any case I am happy so far.

yea i'm fearing that STEAM didn't DL the texture files correctly ...

chalk another one up to STEAM and its awesome downloading system.

acesea said:

Is there a way to transfer over save files?

"Failed to load sound "ambience/wind1.wav", file probably missing from disk/repository"

That was in my console window. This is after updating and verifying steam. Why can't it find a simple .wav file ?

i fixed it

it seems as though steam didn't download everything

i "removed files" from steam, then closed steam and manually deleted the half life 2 folder, then re-opened steam and re-downloaded half life 2 and it works.

chalk it up to another steam issue

omg yea weird! i had the same issue when i had halflife2 at 75% it didn't work right, yet at 100% it did. how illogical is that! stupid steam! :eek:

doh-nut said:
omg yea weird! i had the same issue when i had halflife2 at 75% it didn't work right, yet at 100% it did. how illogical is that! stupid steam! :eek:

i'm not sure how that relates to this thread

steam said 100% and it did this.

heyheyhey said:
ReBoot fucking owned.
i completely forgot about that show, thanks for the flashback guys. i died on the"Game Over. The user wins" post.

Back