Cheapest tablet with large screen

Can't seem to find a thread that covers this in depth.

I'm needing a tablet just for web browsing. I don't care for power or screen quality, just screen size and rock bottom price.

You can get some cheap tablets out there for ~$70 (nook and this but they're all 7" screens. 7" is too small. I'd like 10" minimum, but prices spiral out of control quickly.

If you all know of something that has a 10" (or bigger?) for less than $200 please share.

i'd be on the look out for the hp touchpad , you can put ics on it. Personally i actually enjoy WebOS

These Cobys are cheap but you hear mixed things about them.

It would be great if it didn't break after a month.

http://www.amazon.com/Coby-10-1-Inch-Internet-Capacitive-Touchscreen/dp/B004QPAJOW

The Coby Kyros tablets are, for the most part, fantastic for the money they cost.

If you plan to do any gaming at all I would stay away from the MID1125 though, because of the chipset it uses it's not suited for any sort of accelerated 3D graphics. Even Angry Birds can sometimes stutter a bit... however it's fantastic for movies, web browsing, youtube, emails, books, etc.

Pisses me off they changed chipsets, because some of the previous Kyros tablets were actually quite adept at gaming. I've got a Kyros 8024 (8") that runs circles around the 1125 (10") in games...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was in a PC Richards earlier today playing with a lot of the 2nd and 3rd tier tablets. It was amazing how much of a difference in wifi reception there was from one unit to the next. Some of the tablets could see Home Depot's Public Wifi next door at full strength, while others (including the Coby) could not see it at all.

Maybe you can look for one with a resistive screen too?

Personally I think you'd be best off waiting for a deal on a Tegra 2 10" tablet. The Toshiba Thrive (my personal favorite) pops up around $200-$250 from time to time, as does the original Asus Transformer / Acer A200.

Cowboom had refurb Transformers a week or two back for $169 for example.

So i bought the Coby Kyros 1042, and have been somewhat disappointed.

First off the screen resolution of 1024x600 is noticeably pixellated. You have to zoom into most text to be able to read it clearly. Also color contrast is crap. The entire screen is poor quality which is a pretty big deal for a tablet. Also 10x6 ratio is kinda weird. Very long.

But that's not even the biggest problem. The biggest problem is that it does not natively support Google Play marketplace. Even after rooting it and trying all kinds of hacks i could not get it to work. I had to settle for another developers marketplace which is good, but i'd rather have the official google one.

Have not tried games. Have not tried HDMI out. Skype can't seem to be able to cut off it's own speaker so you get crazy feedback.

Performance wise it's ok. I don't think it's worth more than $150 and assuming you're willing to root it. Otherwise, without the marketplace it's practically unusable out of the box.

Back