• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cheapest solution for 3 monitors

winuser2000

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 20, 2001
Messages
299
I bought an LCD for myself for christmas and stupidly I thought I could just use my computer's third video output (component) for it to play movies on. I have a radeon 4850 currently. Is purchasing another 4850 for crossfire my only option?
 
Not sure if the component>dvi/vga adapter would work.. Haven't messed around with that personally.

But, there's a cheaper option than Xfire. I'm sure you would've thought of it, a PCI card option assuming you have pci slots would be the cheapest bang.
 
Can't you get an adapter?

I have all the connections I need, two DVI and one component out. The problem is when I enable the third monitor it forces me to replace one of the existing monitors. I am out of PCI slots but have a PCIe x16 still available for dual vid cards. I don't need to buy one to match my other card right? Any PCIe x16 card will work?
 
I have all the connections I need, two DVI and one component out. The problem is when I enable the third monitor it forces me to replace one of the existing monitors. I am out of PCI slots but have a PCIe x16 still available for dual vid cards. I don't need to buy one to match my other card right? Any PCIe x16 card will work?

since you have an ATi card, for the sake of driver convinience, get another ATi card - like the HD4350, which can be commonly found on NewEgg for 20USD.
 
i saw this adapter that would use just one dvi port and stretch the image across 3 screens. you could do that with two of them so you would have like 1680x1050 on one port and the other port would be 3360x1050. i think it would work with 1 card, but im not sure.
 
im with the other guys that the card is the better answer...just was tryin to be a smart @$$ lol
 
You said cheapest solution...

and you have an additional PCIe16 slot (xfire is an software/hardware combination option - you can disable it at will)

and this is the best solution:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121310

Thanks for the reply guys, one question for the people that have done this before.... Let's say I get this and put it in and install all the drivers. Will I then be able to go into the CCC and setup three monitors without it forcing me to disable one? How do I get the third monitor setup software wise?
 
You could also use your onboard vga to run the third monitor. Thats what i do, i have 25 and 19 hooked up to gtx 285 and 19 hooked up to onboard.
 
You could also use your onboard vga to run the third monitor. Thats what i do, i have 25 and 19 hooked up to gtx 285 and 19 hooked up to onboard.

Most chipsets (Intel, mostly) will not allow that to work.

In addition, if you use ATi on a nVidia chipset, and vice versa, such a setup will not work.


EDIT: @OP

and once you install the three cards (Assuming Vista/7), re-install the entire graphics driver set, and....

all three will work.

My previous setup was:
9800gx2 (2mon)/8400gs (1 mon)
and it works just like that. (though, technically, I had 3 GPU in that setup, due to the nature of the 9800gx2)


Also, what is the modelboard brand/model? There are sometimes, specific setup issues with dualcard setups on certain motherboards.
 
Last edited:
Most chipsets (Intel, mostly) will not allow that to work.

In addition, if you use ATi on a nVidia chipset, and vice versa, such a setup will not work.


EDIT:

and once you install the three cards (Assuming Vista/7), re-install the entire graphics driver set, and....

all three will work.

My previous setup was:
9800gx2 (2mon)/8400gs (1 mon)
and it works just like that. (though, technically, I had 3 GPU in that setup, due to the nature of the 9800gx2)


Also, what is the modelboard brand/model? There are sometimes, specific setup issues with dualcard setups on certain motherboards.

I have intel onboard vga and nvidia graphics card. I also did this with my hd 4850 before my upgrade
 
I have intel onboard vga and nvidia graphics card. I also did this with my hd 4850 before my upgrade

ach...

my g31, 945g, chipset both wouldn't allow for this.

Also, my 6150SE, 6150LE (different MCP, iirc) both wouldn't allow it.


which chipset do you have? It might be sufficient reason for me to finally upgrade my motherboard:D
 
ach...

my g31, 945g, chipset both wouldn't allow for this.

Also, my 6150SE, 6150LE (different MCP, iirc) both wouldn't allow it.


which chipset do you have? It might be sufficient reason for me to finally upgrade my motherboard:D

I have a g31 chipset. Gigabyte g31m-es2l
 
i have the nforce 430 chipset, will that work with the onboard VGA?

that would be sweet if it did i could then hook my big screen up as well with a long cable.

whats maximum length for a vga cable?
 
sorry if this is thread-hijacking but i'm in a similar situation with OP

except i have 2 monitors hooked to an nvidia 9400GT and i'd like to add a 3rd monitor via PCI slot (no pci-e slots). any recommendations for a cheap PCI card to allow tri-monitor (preferably nvidia)?
running Win7, 64-bit probably doesn't help my cause either i bet :-/
 
i have the nforce 430 chipset, will that work with the onboard VGA?

that would be sweet if it did i could then hook my big screen up as well with a long cable.

whats maximum length for a vga cable?

nForce 430 is part of the GeForce 61xx set.


Now, I'm not too sure :(

But just so you know:

both of my ASUS nForce 430 motherboards do NOT allow for me to use the onboard VGA output, while another card is installed.
 
nForce 430 is part of the GeForce 61xx set.


Now, I'm not too sure :(

But just so you know:

both of my ASUS nForce 430 motherboards do NOT allow for me to use the onboard VGA output, while another card is installed.

yeah its the 6150se....

im sure its probably something you can hack in the bios or something. the only reason i could see that it wouldnt let you is to protect from excessive power draw through the board, i cant think of any other reason....
 
yeah its the 6150se....

im sure its probably something you can hack in the bios or something. the only reason i could see that it wouldnt let you is to protect from excessive power draw through the board, i cant think of any other reason....

excessive power draw through the Chipset...


Several of the nForce 4xx series had major overheating problems (expecially with the lame, passive cooler many mobos used).

Maybe your BIOS already allows for it. It cannot hurt to try.
 
ill try it when i get home. thats one of the main reasons i went ahead and got a video card for it. the chipset was friggin HOT...i ended up taking a laptop fan and aiming at it for now. ive actually got an aluminum heatsink with an integrated fan that i popped off of another nvidia card, but i cant figure out how to mount it yet.

do the make any thermal grease that will act as a strong glue?
 
I ran a 4850, with a 2600xt for a long time. No issues ever.
 
georgexi, i am in the same boat as you i have been looking for a good regular PCI card, all out of PCI-e slots as well.

does anyone know of a good PCI card so i can hook my lcd tv up as a third monitor? I appologize for the thread jacking as well i am just in the same boat as a couple of you. Thanks in advance.
 
georgexi, i am in the same boat as you i have been looking for a good regular PCI card, all out of PCI-e slots as well.

does anyone know of a good PCI card so i can hook my lcd tv up as a third monitor? I appologize for the thread jacking as well i am just in the same boat as a couple of you. Thanks in advance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133245&Tpk=pny pci 8400

i ended up ordering this card. PCI nvidia hards are becoming scarce... checked ebay, amazon, buy.com and this was the cheapest i could find. i'll let u know next week if it works or not
 
Don't forget that we have a FS/FT forum, lots of good deals in there. :)
 
George did that video card work out for you. I am a little nervous that it wont be compatible for mine. Can you let me know how you made out?

Thanks
Kris
 
i have officially gotten the 8800gt, nforce 430 chipset to run 3 monitors at once using dual dvis from the card and onboard vga...WOO HOO...
 
Back
Top