Cheapest Computer - No monitor

isai95

Limp Gawd
I want to build a very cheap and simple but reliable computer for a couple of clients. They want to use them for Internet browsing, MS Office 2003, Burning DVDs and music CDs, OS XP Pro. I need to beat Dell for under $300.00 shipped. Which Chip, mobo, memory, hard drive, case, PSU, etc. should I buy? Thank you.

Last edited:
I want to build a very cheap and simple but reliable computer for a couple of clients. They want to use them for Internet browsing, MS Office 2003, Burning DVDs and music CDs. I need to beat Dell for under $300.00 shipped. Which Chip, mobo, memory, hard drive, case, PSU, etc. should I buy? Thank you.

It would help if you answered questions 3, 4, 8, 9, and 10 of the sticky titled "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!"

You're gonna be very hard-pressed to beat Dell's prices, features, and quality for under $300 shipped.

If you're gonna ask us to build/list a PC for you or seek advice about a build, please answer all of the following questions:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Internet, MS Office 2003, Burning DVDs & CDs,
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Under $300.00
3) Where do you live?
Los Angeles, CA, USA
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
AMD 5200, 2GB memory, cheap case or used.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
any 500watts or the one the comes with the case.
6) Will you be overclocking?
NO
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
17"
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
This week
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI
support? etc.
None
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
No for the client.

It would help if you answered questions 3, 4, 8, 9, and 10 of the sticky titled "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!"

You're gonna be very hard-pressed to beat Dell's prices, features, and quality for under $300 shipped.
Oh, yes, I can beat Dell's prices, quality and their proprietary designs, believe me.;)

Oh, yes, I can beat Dell's prices, quality and their proprietary designs, believe me.;)

For under $300 shipped like you said? Oh and you didn't mention if that $300 includes tax as well.

For under $300 shipped like you said? Oh and you didn't mention if that $300 includes tax as well.
Yes, including Tax, shipping, smiles, coupons, etc.:D
Keep in mind that due to the war expenses, these guys don't have much money to buy a computer. They are living with Unemployment money.:D

you dont need a 500w PSU for the computers ur looking at building.
cheap 20 buck case
amd 4000 is like 40 bucks
crap ecs mobo - 50
2gb ram - 25
300w FSP oem- 28
done

Just for reference, a current Dell Outlet system:

Vostro 220 Mini Tower (System Identifier: ZR71M918)

System Price : $249.00

Windows Vista Home Basic
3 GB DDR2-800
160GB SATA300 7200RPM
Intel GMA X4500HD
USB Keyboard
Optical 2-Button Mouse
Vostro 220 Mini Tower
16X DL DVDRW SATA
Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300

If you don't want to re-sell Dell, you could go with...

$100 - Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 + Asus P5KPL-CM
$22 - Kingston 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 KVR800D2K2/2GR
$40 - Rosewill R103A Black Steel ATX Mid Tower w/ 350W PSU
$50 - WD Caviar SE WD3200AAJS 320GB 7200RPM SATA300
$24 - Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B
==========
$236 + tax

But then you need an OS, which would bring it to $326 + tax...
$90 - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic SP1 64-bit OEM

... but personally, I'd go with the dell instead, lol. $250 w/ OS, X4500HD, and it works out of the box? such a no-brainer (X4500HD >> G31). I've used about a dozen Vostro systems for friends and fam, all work great so far. I've got quite a few of them here at work, too, and they work great for email/web.

Last edited:
Back