Cheap way to cool a GPU

pdp76

Weaksauce
I just got an AGP ATI x1650Pro, and it's a great card for my purposes but the thing is damn loud! I was thinking about unplugging the stock fan and putting one of these SLOT fans in the slot to the left of it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835888309

Do you think this would be sufficient cooling? I already spent enough on the card itself, I'm trying to find the cheapest alternative to quiet this puppy down.

hmm I would not do that.

the stock fan sucks (or blows, not sure which) air thru that shroud thing with the fancy graphics/picture on it. This moving air going through the shroud, which has a heatsink under it, is what cools the card. The fan you mentioned just pulls hot air out of your case. It cannot pull air down through that shroud and across the heatsink. You will fry your video card pretty fast.

hmm I would not do that.

the stock fan sucks (or blows, not sure which) air thru that shroud thing with the fancy graphics/picture on it. This moving air going through the shroud, which has a heatsink under it, is what cools the card. The fan you mentioned just pulls hot air out of your case. It cannot pull air down through that shroud and across the heatsink. You will fry your video card pretty fast.

Well, this slot fan would be directly to the "left" of the AGP slot so it would be directly on top (or below depending on how you look at it) of the GPU shroud with clearance in the range of millimeters. So while it is pulling air out of the case, I'm hoping most of that air will flow over/through the shroud. I'm just curious if anyone has unplugged the GPU fan completely and tried this exact setup before.

Hmm I see what you are saying but air follows the path of least resistance. Pretty iffy,

If you could get the stock fan out of there and seal the gap with some foam weather strip you might have a chance.

But looking at the specs of that blower its fairly high speed, not sure it would end up quieter, it would get the heat out of the case, thats a good thing.

I do not know much about that agp card, is there not a tool that will allow you to set fan speed based on GPU temp ? ATI Tray tools has that but not sure you card is supported.

Perhaps a post in the ATI video card section whould get you more attention from people that have run into your problem ?

Agreed; this fan looks like something that should be used underneath a GPU cooler that blows air straight down instead of out the back of the case--I may consider this between my VF700 and my soundcard.

Me and my sister both have this product. its well worth 5 bucks. I placed it right next to my 8800gts. my overall system is a few degrees colder. its nothing phonominal but its always nice to have air flow.

You could always ghetto mod a old cpu heatsink to it and have the slot blower blowing/sucking on the heatsink.

Back