Cheap sound upgrade

FRAGMAN BOB

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
292
After getting some good car audio and hearing what good clean sound is, I cant stand my computer speakers anymore. Right now I am using a 2-3 year old set of Labtec 2.1s. I did alot of searching on here and am pretty sure I wanna make the jump to use quality HT stuff. My dad has some old (10-15yrs) Infinity towers in the basement, I remember them sounding good when they were hooked up. But they are gigantic. Would I be better off buying an reciever and hooking those up (cheap) or spending a little extra and getting a pair of Swan M200(loved the reviews and price) or something similar. Also If I got the swans or another self-powered set, Do i need a reciever or anyother extra hardware, or can I just "plug and play". Thanks alot
 
ive never hooked up much HT stuff, but a ton of car audio. Are there any huge differences, when it comes to picking out equipment? Also, would those swans have enough bass output? I am a big bass fan and would always rather have to cut the bass than not be able to have enough.
 
bookshelves are not intended to provide any bass response. that's why they need an external sub. those towers will stand up well on their own.
 
lol their sensitivity is 100db. you could run them with a 3 watt amp.

any receiver will be fine.
 
hey I did some research on that HK and ordered the model below yours. the 3380. Should be here on monday, I'll post up the results. Thanks.
 
The 3380's a pretty damn powerful amp. You're going to be able to push those suckers to the threshold of pain.

Have fun!
 
lol their sensitivity is 100db.

No, it's not. I guarantee you it's not above 95dB, and likely not above 92. Infinity is at the forefront of bullshitting about both sensitivity and frequency response. Even if those speakers are 95dB 1W/1m efficient, they won't even reach a lower F3 of 50Hz. Look up Hoffman's Iron Law. Pick one: high sensitivity or wide frequency response. Can't have both.
 
set everything up today. good and bad news, Good: its leaps and bounds above what i had before. Bad: Though i'd have a little more bass but it could be from someone in my house (no will say anything) chunked out about a 1/6th of the surround of the left cabinet's sub. :( There isnt a crackle or any annonying sound though. Should I just get a refoam kit? ($20-30) or should I stick with it and put the money toward a better set-up later?
 
if it doesnt rattle or make any annoying sounds...(moisture ruined mine...temporarily using some random foam i found) id leave it alone and save your cash
 
If you're going to replace them later, then tape it (keep it loose so it doesn't hinder the flexibility of the speaker, you just want to prevent air from moving through it)
 
Back
Top