Cheap Oil Changes!

ReDoG

Limp Gawd
I was driving home and saw a sign for a $9.95 oil change at a ford dealership(i drive a ford), so I stopped and asked and the deal was $9.95 oil change on all fords excluding diesels, but there was a 3 1/2-4 hr. wait, the lady i talked to though said someone told her that a dealership was offering a deal for $4.95, but i dont know anymore.
anyhow, i thought maybe we could start a thread and list the dealerships or other places that had smokin deals on oil changes. Since I live in Ft worth, im gonna call around tomorrow and see if i can find some in ft worth and ill post all i find.

Dallas, TX.

$9.95
I-35E & Pleasant Run RD. SW Corner
All ford vehicles excluding diesel

lol its not really a deal

since 10$ > 4hr wait

15-20$ > 15min job at a local shop

The cheapest would be to purchase any Ford or GM product. Wait for the rear main seal to start leaking (because IT WILL). Then all you do is add a fresh quart every week! :D

annaconda said:
How about free oil change "DO IT YOUR SELF"

I've been doing this for a long time, but I recently got rid of my old beater I would use to store the old oil and transport for recycling. I dont want that shit in my newer two cars. Any suggestions for a clean and leak free container for transporting used oil to recycle? Links much appreciated...

No excuses for not changing your own. It takes like 20 min and I live in apt complex with no garage

Go to your local 7-Eleven and take a couple of their milk carton plastic cases. Then store the leftover oil in empty milk cartons. When you have enough to fill one of the cases, take a trip to the recycle center. Simple, easy, free and hard to spill. Oh yeah and invest in a $.99 funnel.

annaconda said:

Nothing is free... your time is money and the equipment + oilcan costs money. Not to mention the mess that has to be cleaned up if you did mess.

for $9.95 I doubt the change the filter and other things that come along with the higher priced places...so basically you are getting what you pay for...

gregnash said:
Go to your local 7-Eleven and take a couple of their milk carton plastic cases. Then store the leftover oil in empty milk cartons. When you have enough to fill one of the cases, take a trip to the recycle center. Simple, easy, free and hard to spill. Oh yeah and invest in a $.99 funnel.

I wonder if I can get away with leaving this crap outside by the bushes at my apt complex

:confused:

I have estimated that it roughly costs me around $15 to change my oil that include a quality filter and 6 qts. plus the assurance of knowing it is done right. I have heard horror stories from people who have a had a oil change go bad from some of the dealerships.

Xecutor said:
I have estimated that it roughly costs me around $15 to change my oil that include a quality filter and 6 qts. plus the assurance of knowing it is done right. I have heard horror stories from people who have a had a oil change go bad from some of the dealerships.

Self
$15 in material
20 minutes at $50.00/hour = $16.67

Total: $31.67

At the shop they check and top off all other fluids, vaccuum my car while I sit in the a/c waiting room and watch TV, read a magazine or answer my e-mail. I think that's worth the 20 bucks they charge!

Oh and btw, anybody who ever goes to a dealership to get their car worked on is either a woman or an idiot! :D

blucadet3 said:
I've been doing this for a long time, but I recently got rid of my old beater I would use to store the old oil and transport for recycling. I dont want that shit in my newer two cars. Any suggestions for a clean and leak free container for transporting used oil to recycle? Links much appreciated...

No excuses for not changing your own. It takes like 20 min and I live in apt complex with no garage
Empty milk jugs.

Can drop off used motor oil at local gas station/garage, most places will accept it.
For changing me own oil I got a hand operated gas/oil pump from walmart for 9 bucks. Has about 4' of hose on each end of the pump. You stick one hose down the oil fill cap opening, the other hose goes in a milk jug or whatever is used to collect oil, then pump out all the old oil. Beats jacking the car up and crawling around underneath, then realizing you don't have a fresh crush washer. I still jack the car up to change the oil filter every 4 months or so though. Was thinking about a bypass oil filter, one of them frantz tp filters, supposedly never need to change oil for 100k miles.

I never trust the cheap oil they put into a car. If its a beater it doesnt really matter. But any decent car, or even an engine that needs care I wouldnt trust it. And yes Ive heard horror stories myself.

I get free oil changes for life at my dealership. They also vacuum, wash and top off all the other fluids. No way I can beat that, even changing it myself. It also makes thing easier if something goes wrong. With all of the maintainance done at the original dealership, if anything goes wrong they can't blame anyone.

Anyone who has the title of 'gawd' on an internet forum should not be talking about how much their time is worth.

they offer it so cheap, so they can get you in and sucker you into other things. like you need a belt or you have a coolant leak.

venomous35 said:
they offer it so cheap, so they can get you in and sucker you into other things. like you need a belt or you have a coolant leak.

Mechanic: "Your vanity light is out too."
Customer: "No it's not."
*SMASH!*
Mechianc: "Now it is. $5"

BarneyGumble said:
Empty milk jugs.

Oil will eat through those milk jugs. It takes a while ( several months) but I still wouldn't want to take the chance of putting those milk jugs in my car.

when i did oil change myself, i'd just dump it back into the same containers that my oil came in and immediatley drive to the autoparts shop i bought my oil and they do recycling there. then i'd buy new oil and so forth and so on.

blucadet3 said:

I would rather take my car to a dealership or a good shop where a certified mechanic would change the oil. If I didn't do it myself.

Jiffy lube ETC have a horrible reputation for doing bad things.

But then again, if you don't care about your car, that's fine. Mine goes 12k between changes on the Redline or Amsoil + a premium OEM or amsoil filter. (recommend changing filter @ 6k)

But then again, I'm guessing most of the people here spend way more annually on their computers than they do on necessary scheduled car care.

pcstuff said:
Oh and btw, anybody who ever goes to a dealership to get their car worked on is either a woman or an idiot! :D

Yeah, someone is an idiot ...you got that part right.......

venomous35 said:

Yeah, no other business does this .....Its only the car dealers....

venomous35 said:

Whats funny, is they tried to take advantage of some girl at my University.
Mechanic: "You need power steering fluid"
Her: "But my car doesn't HAVE power steering."

I bet he felt like a moron/embarassed.

pcstuff said:
Where else is one supposed to get warranty service done? :rolleyes:

I would do it myself, but I am too lazy, its raining outside, my tools suck ass. My ratchet set is very old, some of them are stripped inside. But... anyways I added oil to my car, without draining the old, cause my dipstick didn't read anything, not even the bottom had a drop. HEHEHEH HAR HAR HAR long live 4 cyl beaters.

MooCow said:
I would do it myself, but I am too lazy, its raining outside, my tools suck ass. My ratchet set is very old, some of them are stripped inside. But... anyways I added oil to my car, without draining the old, cause my dipstick didn't read anything, not even the bottom had a drop. HEHEHEH HAR HAR HAR long live 4 cyl beaters.

My Dad had an old Ford Pinto like that. He just added a quart of oil each month to keep it topped off. It burnt enough oil that it never got dirty enough to need a full change. :D

Discostu2120 said:
Anyone who has the title of 'gawd' on an internet forum should not be talking about how much their time is worth.

wrong.

blucadet3 said:

California's waste management has a program that you can call the trash service and they wil deliver you specifically designed oil recycling containers, and then pick them up. I'm not sure where you're located but I belive most (or several) states require that trash services be required to provide them , free of charge. If they do not, then you may want to call the city, because one of those two services can provide you with something more earth friendly.

hth. :)

pcstuff said:
Oh and btw, anybody who ever goes to a dealership to get their car worked on is either a woman or an idiot!
I see where you're coming from but....
1) some of us have full time jobs and dont want to spend the weekend under the car...
2)it looks much better if you decided to sell your car when you have all original maintenance done by the dealer and stamped in the book --- i know i'm more comfortable with nissan doing my work rather than joe schmoe -- although its not necessarily true, the service at dealerships is (supposedly) standard.
3)where else do we get recall work performed? you're not actually going to take your car to another mech to have them perform recall work, are you ?

Steve_010 said:
Where else is one supposed to get warranty service done? :rolleyes:

Family friends are really the best way to go, because they do honest work. Mechanics at the shop work on quickly and then rape your cars when they "road test " them-not to mention they more often that not do a half-assed job. I've had several friends that worked at shops, and its no surprise that the mech's let it loose with your car. There is a place nearby my house that does car washes and oil changes, and they have a great reputation because they will let you sit right there and let you watch everything.

pcstuff said:
Self

Uh, I have done complete engine over hauls and done some custom turbo and nitrous set ups in my day. And I take both of my cars to their dealerships and gladly pay the premium of having them done there. Then again when you have 100k in two cars you don't go cheap. Besides, I have more money than time nowadays. Can I change oil in my car... in my sleep. Would I rather spend the limited time I have on the weekends on my boat or on the golf course... YES.

Aristotle13 said:
Uh, I have done complete engine over hauls and done some custom turbo and nitrous set ups in my day. And I take both of my cars to their dealerships and gladly pay the premium of having them done there. Then again when you have 100k in two cars you don't go cheap. Besides, I have more money than time nowadays. Can I change oil in my car... in my sleep. Would I rather spend the limited time I have on the weekends on my boat or on the golf course... YES.
QFT

Aristotle13 said:

This is pretty much my take. I use to always change my own oil, but now I just find that the time is more important so unless it's a car that has a quick oil change, I tend to bring it somewhere. I have a G35 and that requires removing an airflow shield to get to the filter and just adds on more time. On the other hand, I also have an Explorer and that's simple so I still do that myself.

The containers that washer fluid comes in have thicker walls so the oil won't eat through for a long time. Milk jugs are not the best choice, but I do use them if I am bringing the oil back right away.

annaconda said:
Assuming you are not doing that inside your garage - it is against many CCRs nowadays to do that. Plus - you still have to buy the oil. Last I checked that was not free.

blucadet3 said:
I wonder if I can get away with leaving this crap outside by the bushes at my apt complex

:confused:

I wonder if I might have your apt. # so I can watch and then report you to the EPA for toxic dumping.
:rolleyes:

LoneWolf said:
I wonder if I might have your apt. # so I can watch and then report you to the EPA for toxic dumping.
:rolleyes:

666 S Bite Me St Apt F-U

I obviously would only be storing it there until I could take it to recycle. I did not mean dumping the oil out or abandoning it. If you read my first post, I state I have no place to store the oil as I dont want old oil in my new car. I'm not a retard...not that retards dump oil...OH and :rolleyes: right back atcha...

misternapps said:
California's waste management has a program that you can call the trash service and they wil deliver you specifically designed oil recycling containers, and then pick them up. I'm not sure where you're located but I belive most (or several) states require that trash services be required to provide them , free of charge. If they do not, then you may want to call the city, because one of those two services can provide you with something more earth friendly.

hth. :)

Thanks, I'll check into it. Unfortunatly oklahoma has no required recycling, that I know of, so it is doubtful they will supply me with anything but grief.

Back