• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

cheap headphones...

Cesium

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
98
im new to headphones, and with about $50 in my pocket and a quick glance at newegg, i see sennheiser has many different models in the range im looking at.

there are the very cheap hd201, the hd205, hd435, eh250, and hd212.

which one is best? i have some nice infinity speakers for the dorm room, but those cant be on with my roommate sleeping...so the headphones shouldn't be very audible on the outisde

thanks!
 
it would be music

the grados don't look like they'd be as comfortable as the larger ones
 
Then go for the normal Grado SR60. No one has the iGrados yet, but they look promising.
 
the sr60's are a little expensive at $70... the hd280's look more comfortable and cost about that much too

there are also the eh350's, which cast inbetween the first staede ones and the 280's

i'd need to get them by thursday next week, so ebay probobly isnt a good idea for me

im leaning towards the hd212
 
If you value comfort, don't get grados.
If you value sound more than comfort, definitely get grados.

/this is my personal opinion
//senns are okay too
///just not cheap ones.
////might want to look into akg
 
what about the audio technica ath-m30's, ath-pro5v, or ath-t44 which all cost about the same?
 
Cesium said:
what about the audio technica ath-m30's, ath-pro5v, or ath-t44 which all cost about the same?

Never even heard of any of those.

Maybe keep your eyes peeled for a pair of used ATH-A500? I've seen 'em get snagged for $55 shipped.

Check ebay.
 
m3ta1head said:
Never even heard of any of those.

Maybe keep your eyes peeled for a pair of used ATH-A500? I've seen 'em get snagged for $55 shipped.

Check ebay.

And you have heard the iGrados or ATH-A500s? :confused:
 
Mister X said:
And you have heard the iGrados or ATH-A500s? :confused:

I'm just getting into this headphone business man :p

I can vouch for Audio Technica, though-I myself have a pair of AD700s-Beautiful sound. Punchy lows, slightly recessed mids, and nice, crisp highs. They flow really well too. Acoustical pieces are where they shine, IMO.
 
Why in the sam hell would you suggest products you have no experience with? :confused:
 
I got the Sennheiser HD 212 Pro for 45$ about a year ago for dorm and they've served me well. The base is pretty strong on it (sometimes overpowering), which is good for music I listen to, which are hip hop and trance/techno.
 
Mister X said:
Why in the sam hell would you suggest products you have no experience with? :confused:

I've used AD500s and K81s...I wouldn't reccomend a headphone without listening to it first :p
 
m3ta1head said:
I've used AD500s and K81s...I wouldn't reccomend a headphone without listening to it first :p
pft.. you are telling me something I can directly refute with my own eyes.
And your own words.
If it's for music, check the new iGrados:

:rolleyes:
Stick to what you know and leave the other bullshit for the dummy loads at Head-fi

(A dummy load is anybody that has ever said: I have not heard those but.....)
 
so is anyone going to recommend me some headphones in my price range rather than argue? :p
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
yeah, i dont want to mess with them really, and i can't order off of ebay though, because like i said, i need them by thursday

and i can spend around $50 too
 
because like i said, i need them by thursday
Got it the first time. ;)

It took two days for me to get my A130's and I thought that was pretty good considering they traveled from Wisconsin to Michigan via UPS.

If you are into bass then go with the HD212's.
They are not bad starter cans but you may find yourself looking for something more balanced in a month or so. :p
 
I love the heck out of my Koss KTXPro1 Titanium headphones, but I have abused them over the last 2 years I have had them an they are starting to degrade in sound quality. I am also looking for some replacements but I think I will just get another pair of the Koss KTXPro1 Titaniums from http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007056H/ref=sr_11_1/104-3415754-3791130?ie=UTF8 they use the same drivers as the famed PortsPros but cost less, amazon even has a deal where you can get these with the PortaPros for about $50!!!
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i read a review of the ATH-M30's and they guy said that they sounded as good as the hd280's, so how do the 212's compare to either of those?
 
Mister X said:
pft.. you are telling me something I can directly refute with my own eyes.
And your own words.


:rolleyes:
Stick to what you know and leave the other bullshit for the dummy loads at Head-fi

(A dummy load is anybody that has ever said: I have not heard those but.....)


m3ta1head said:
No one has the iGrados yet, but they look promising.


I never denied that. Come on dude, be nice. There's enough hate in the world.
 
screw it, these cheap ones seem too crappy

howabout the hd555's? everyone seems to like those

or are they open?
 
I have the HD201 and the HD280s and for the price of the HD201's they sound incredible. For music listening and gaming I prefer them over my HD280s. Use the HD280s for my piano.
 
m3ta1head said:
I never denied that. Come on dude, be nice. There's enough hate in the world.
And a reply like that does what to the level of hate in the world?
Please return your condescending switch to the off position and try again.
 
but then if i was to ask if the 900's are worth the extra money over the 700's, would you also say yes?
 
Nope because I have not the chance to do a side by side comparison of those two.
(sold the A900s before I got the A700s)
 
Cesium said:
the hd280's look more comfortable and
Ha!.

Sorry, I got a kick out of that statment. The Senn HD280's arn't really comfortable. Add to that their strange sound, and I wouldn't recommend them.

Hope you enjoy your new Audio Technica's. From some of the headphones you have been listing here, these will work. If this is your entry into high end audio, you'll be plesently surprised.

~Enjoy
 
Mister X said:
Why in the sam hell would you suggest products you have no experience with? :confused:
Despite his personality, what he says is good to follow m3ta1head. If recommending something you've never heard, it's good to state that (so others may put less weight on the recommendation).
 
I've heard nothing but good things about the a700s, but have you considered the ad700s? I myself own a pair (as my primary headphone), and they are extremely versatile. I can use them from everything from gaming to listening to metal. My only complaint with them, at first, was the lack of punchy bass. However, after a 100hr burn in, the bass got considerably better, and to make it even more boomy, I used a strong elastic band and tied it around the "wings" of the headphones. This brought the top of the cups closer to my ears and made the bass make my head shake :D

Anyway, I love them...you probably will too.
 
have you considered the ad700s?

Have you read the first post?

Err, better yet....

How much sound do they leak?

I think sound leakage was why the OP asked about closed cans but I may be mistaken. ;)
 
Mister X said:
Have you read the first post?

Err, better yet....

How much sound do they leak?

I think sound leakage was why the OP asked about closed cans but I may be mistaken. ;)

Missed that little part.

In any case, yes, these headphones obviously do leak...but only at earth shattering volumes. Any by then, your ears are bleeding anyway.

At moderate listening volumes, you can't hear what's coming out of the headphones unless you put your ear onto the grille. They isolate well and leak very little for open headphones. I've even used them on planes without disturbing the passengers around me.

I *think* his roomy should be OK ;)
 
Now see that is what I am after.
A thoughtfull post that will actually help someone is hell of a lot better then a reccomendation for some phones you have never heard. :)
We will deal with fan-boy style post's another time. :D
 
well, i ended up using ebay since they happened to be only be $102 with shipping :p

and yes, these are my first headphones other than some northwest airlines ones and a broken pair of terrible sony mdr-15's that came with an old cd player years ago (posted them in the post your headphones thread haha) , so hopefully these will sound as good as i expect and make a nice alternative to my main speakers

that blue finish looks pretty darn nice too
 
Back
Top