• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Cheap Computer for my brother.

aggpirate

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Messages
222
Alright well my 10 year old brothers birthday is comming up, and i have decided to build him a computer. I need to keep it cheap and upgradeable. All he is going to be doing is playing games like Rome total war, Alaxander, etc nothing very intens graphics wise. I have all the parts exept a Mobo and Cpu. I want to spend about 200 on them. So what would be the best for the money?
 
Alright im getting preatty exited for this im going make the case in to sponge bob.
 
I'd get the "J" version instead of the "I". It seems like it has better features (250Gb instead of just the 250 for one) for a few bucks more. Still comes out under $200.

I built a system for my brother with the same CPU and the "J" motherboard and it OC'd to 2.35Ghz. Would go higher but the RAM was limiting me. My cousin has the same board with the 3000+ chip and his gets up to 2.5Ghz with no problems.
 
wait. you have g.skill LE in your sig. you got limited to 267mhz? what were your timings? voltage? did you have the agressive setting on in the bios? (if it's still there in the neo4)

edit: sorry about being off topic, i can take this to pm's if needed to keep the thread clean ;)
 
No...I was running a set of Kingston HyperX PC4000. Got up to 9x261 (2800+ s754) at the 3-4-4-8 timings they suggested with 2.80V (I think that's all the board would do). Wouldn't run 1T either. I hated that RAM :). This was on the Epox 8KDA3J board I had. The Neo4 only gives me posting problems due to it being a Winchester and the associated voltage issues with it.

Right about then I realized I needed some good RAM to make things happen. The G.Skill is great. I get up to around 240 at Cas 2, 280 at Cas 2.5.
 
i remember for my tenth birthday, my two brothers built me my first computer out of spare parts, i was so excited lol. it was a 900 mhz tbird iirc. he'll love it man. :cool:
 
Back
Top