• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

cheap build needed

Bman123

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
5,086
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Mainly web/email. Frequent HD viewing from online sources
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$400 after taxes and shipping
3) Where do you live?
NE OHIO
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc
Cpu, mobo, hard drive, case, psu
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Logitech wireless KB/M, 19 inch monitor, speakers, 2gb of ram
6) Will you be overclocking?
Not unless I need to, which I doubt I will
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
19 inch
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s?etc.
nothing more then you get from a store bought pc
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
no
 
Last edited:
$131 - AMD Athlon II X3 445 CPU + Biostar A880G+ AMD 880G HDMI mATX Motherboard Combo
$57 - G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$55 - Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$40 - Cooler Master Elite 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP ATX Case (Use promo code "EMCZZZW24" to get it down to this price)
$100 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM
----
Total: $383 shipped
 
can i go cheaper on the cpu? I have 2gb of ddr2 in this pc I have now
 
can i go cheaper on the cpu? I have 2gb of ddr2 in this pc I have now

Can't go any cheaper with the CPU actually. There aren't any good Athlon II X2 CPU combo deals this month. In fact, the combo deal I linked to above drops the price of that X3 445 to the same price as the cheapest AMD dual core CPU out now: the X2 245. So in other words, for this month, that's the cheapest CPU + mobo combo that I can recommend due to the lack of Athlon II X2 CPU + mobo combos. I mean why buy a dual core when you can get a tri-core for the same price?

I don't understand why 2GB of DDR2 RAM was mentioned.
 
Superbiiz has a dual core 210e for $36, and you could get an am3 mobo that supports ddr2, but there's not much upgrade potential if you decided later on to upgrade.

You still need a HSF with that 210e. That's another $15 there. That's a total of $51. The X3 445 in that CPU + mobo combo drops the price of that CPU down to $59. $8 more for a higher clock and an extra core? Sounds like a good deal to me.

If the OP had 4GB of DDR2 RAM or more, then I would have recommended a AM2+ motherboard. But since it's only 2GB of RAM, I see no reason to build a new setup around that.
 
I'll just wait til next month then, I've got a local microcenter here maybe they will have the buy a amd cpu and get a free mobo or $40 off the mobo
 
Back
Top