• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Change the Multiplier or FSB?

Yaemish

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Messages
69
I just got a Q6600 and have my Zalman 9700 attached. I have PC2-6400 RAM in the computer. I'm not looking for a huge overclock, I just want to hit 2.8 -3.0 GHz.

I'm just unsure of what the best way to try and hit it is. Should I back the multiplier down to 7, SPD of 2, and FSB 400?

Right now its all set to auto and it seems slower then the O/Ced E6300 it replaced. I guess I don't understand what the optimal way to O/C this chip is and the optimal SPD setting.
 
increasing the FSB also OC's your mem too so if your mem can handle the extra OC, then +FSB is the way to go
 

and a memory mulitplier of 2.4 (fairly standard value your board probably has it or something close as you want to run your ram at or just over 800MHz, its rated speed. )

(this is also sometimes expressed as a 5/4 ratio if my memory serves, you mother board usually will tell you what the memory speed will end up being as you change the value of the memory mulitplier. )
 
you should be able to hit 3ghz on stock volts.... just change fsb to 333 with x9 multiplier.

@ 3ghz like above my DFI has the fsb:dram ratio as 5:6 and the ram is running at 399.7 so in ddr2 terms its running at just under 800mhz which is what you want ideally.
 
I agree with everyone else on the 9x333for 3ghz. Most every G0 Q6600 will do this with stock volts - I have two G0s and a B3 - all run at 9x333 with stock volts, even the B3!

For the ram, two P35 boards run the ram at 5:6 ratio (400mhz -- like nightwalker). My Asus P965 runs ram at either 1:1 or 5:4, so I get either 333 or 417 on the ram - slight overclock on the ram not hurting anything. The nice thing about 9x333 on a P35 board is you're not really overclocking anything except the processor.
 
I can't remember what board I have now, its a gigabyte P35 I think. I was unsure about the whole ratio thing. Thanks for all the replies.
 
up your FSB. You'll see more of a gain.

This is coming from an AMD user, so I don't know too much about Intel chips.
 
Back
Top