Change at Stanford...

may i be worthy

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2010
Well, lots of change from Stanford lately, some wins, some Fail. Starting with the positive...

The V7 client has hit open beta, and is a huge step forward to making folding more accessible to the masses. GPU Tracker2 fixed this a while ago, but it is 3d party. V7 breaks everything, but time will tell. Encouraging in many ways though. A 10 year old project without a decent GUI was pretty sad. Huge progress here.

The Beta Test Forum is now read-only for us plebs. Anyone can fold beta units now. Wow. This is a big step on the path towards openness, and I hope it evolves and succeeds. Big tick for Stanford. More symbolic than real change right now, the test will be if beta testers are more able to speak freely. I hope as it opens up, and the sky does not fall, then more will happen. If nothing else it might encourage more recruits.

Points System - No change on SMP/bigadv points system. Fail.

Donor Advisory Board can only be called stillborn and a dismal failure.
Yes, it's the holidays for most of us with the shopping spree, workplace parties and other related activities. However, be assured that Vijay is currently working hard to setup a place for us to meet and right now, we are getting acquainted together. Since it's not a live meeting, it's not easy to do this quickly.

By january 2011, we should see the first results and a formal announcement by Vijay.

It is April. Enough said. I don't lay too much at the feet of Stanford here - if they wanted one they would have thought of one and implemented it earlier in the life of a ten year old project. It is and will be only a success if the donors keep at it and make it happen. Perhaps Stanford have been making a lot of changes lately and do not regard the DAB as needed - in the short term I value the change more than the DAB, but long term we need the DAB.

Speaking of which- on 2nd Feb:
Right now, there is no word since december 23th. I'll have to poke them tomorrow and see if people still want to do this.

2 months of no response really says it all.

The v7 client is a fail as far as I'm concerned. In it's current state I think it's largely unusable. Mixing all the logs together into a single file is absurd, and the user interface is pretty awful. Good idea, poor execution.

The v7 client is a fail as far as I'm concerned. In it's current state I think it's largely unusable. Mixing all the logs together into a single file is absurd, and the user interface is pretty awful. Good idea, poor execution.

Thank you, I hadn't seen anyone else say that and thought I was the only one. I tried it, went WTF?!, and then went back for FAH Tracker2.

concur as well,

I just tried it, and un-installed in under 5 minutes

yep, still rocking the old clients.

I am regularly tempted to install v7 on my SR2. It has only one client running (which somebody claimed would result in a clean log file) but I'm not sure if HFM could parse the data (a necessity for me). The ability to download a new WU before finishing the current one would be a nice boost for my SR2.

Back to MIBW's first post, I think there has been some "change" coming from Stanford, like the new v7 client, but I don't think anything has really changed at the heart of the project. They're still ignoring the concerns about points, and the Donor Advisory Board has gone nowhere. F@H is a good DC project thanks to the competition and camaraderie of teams like the [H]orde, in spite of Pande Group's leadership.

yep, still rocking the old clients.

I am regularly tempted to install v7 on my SR2. It has only one client running (which somebody claimed would result in a clean log file) but I'm not sure if HFM could parse the data (a necessity for me). The ability to download a new WU before finishing the current one would be a nice boost for my SR2.

Jebo,

I'm working on a parser to convert the V7 logfile into multiple V6, HFM compatible logs - even on a clean V7 logfile HFM will not parse it, if you want to give it a try email me at [email protected] and I'll send you a copy. It currently messes up the download and deadline times, but correctly shows progress, eta and estimated PPD.

H.

Jebo,

I'm working on a parser to convert the V7 logfile into multiple V6, HFM compatible logs - even on a clean V7 logfile HFM will not parse it, if you want to give it a try email me at [email protected] and I'll send you a copy. It currently messes up the download and deadline times, but correctly shows progress, eta and estimated PPD.

H.

I was wondering if someone was going to try that, that could be very useful, keep us posted...

Of course, it begs the question of how hard it would have been to have the V7 client spit out older style logfiles and queue.dat to a monitoring folder, so all the 3rd party monitoring tools could just be pointed to a different folder....

I was wondering if someone was going to try that, that could be very useful, keep us posted...

Of course, it begs the question of how hard it would have been to have the V7 client spit out older style logfiles and queue.dat to a monitoring folder, so all the 3rd party monitoring tools could just be pointed to a different folder....
I'm sure it would have been easier than reverse-engineering the log file.

Its a work in progress - testers willing to run it and provide feedback will help.

I suspect getting those enhancements in the V7 client itself are low priority. They want to make it work, be easily accessible to newbies - bugs now, enhancements later. Currently my one can create HFM parsable logs - so it can generate ETA's, progress and PPD, I'm working out the format of the queue.dat so I can write a correct version of it to get the download and deadline times - currently they're completely bogus.

Anyone that wants to try it - email me. [email protected]

H.

They're still ignoring the concerns about points, and the Donor Advisory Board has gone nowhere.
This is actually not the case at all. I'll be updating the DAB thread here later today.

Mixing all the logs together into a single file is absurd...
In case you haven't noticed, there is an open ticket on this issue and, although it's been an open ticket for quite awhile, it was bumped up in priority four weeks ago. The long term plan is to retain the single log file but have filtering options added to FAHControl. Just an FYI in case you, or anyone else hasn't seen it. I know this is an issue for many.

In case you haven't noticed, there is an open ticket on this issue and, although it's been an open ticket for quite awhile, it was bumped up in priority four weeks ago. The long term plan is to retain the single log file but have filtering options added to FAHControl. Just an FYI in case you, or anyone else hasn't seen it. I know this is an issue for many.

Will the method for filtering these logs be made available for easy use with programs like HFM.NET?

Will the method for filtering these logs be made available for easy use with programs like HFM.NET?
That depends on the 3rd party developer. It's only one log file still, the filtering will be done in the GUI (FAHControl).

Well, it's still an issue until it gets fixed, and in my opinion, that is something that never should have made it past early alpha stages. I can't believe none of the people developing or testing the client realized what a horrible idea it is.

Zero82z said:
I can't believe none of the people developing or testing the client realized what a horrible idea it is.
You must be new here ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

You must be new here ;)
Posted via Mobile Device
Seeing as I am not a member of Stanford's testing team, I had no way of knowing it was made up of complete incompetents until I saw the results. They hired an actual programmer to write this client, so I was expecting it to at least be decent.

Back