Ceton for the whole house?

The one question that I don't think has been addressed yet is with regards to the use of a storage server to hold the recorded Ceton files. My understanding is that the recordings that are flagged as copy once can be stored anywhere but may only be played back on the PC (well, windows instance) that recorded them.

The other though on extenders is going out to fleabay and purchasing the non-xbox media center extenders. I've got a Linksys DMA2200 that works just fine for my needs and is much lower powered than an xbox. I purchased it as I plan on getting a Ceton tuner once the 3 month backorder log has been serviced.

BTW, Hauppauge is releasing an "internal version" of the HD-PVR. Therefore an a non-encrypted dual tuner + external HD box = 100% channel coverage and 95% recording coverage for the average person. Not idea, but most sat/cable providers at least give you one HD box included with the pricing.

Awesome.

I take it we will have to order it from overseas? :eek:

The one question that I don't think has been addressed yet is with regards to the use of a storage server to hold the recorded Ceton files. My understanding is that the recordings that are flagged as copy once can be stored anywhere but may only be played back on the PC (well, windows instance) that recorded them.

The other though on extenders is going out to fleabay and purchasing the non-xbox media center extenders. I've got a Linksys DMA2200 that works just fine for my needs and is much lower powered than an xbox. I purchased it as I plan on getting a Ceton tuner once the 3 month backorder log has been serviced.

I've not seen any consistent evidence that the non-xbox extenders are any better with regards to certain things. But yeah, you'd need extenders to centralize your ceton computer as a media storage server with recorded tv playback at all terminals.

Do you use mediabrowser? I'd like to know what your typical experience is with your Linksys extender and Mediabrowser with regards to input lag. I don't really care about startup times at this point, just the time it takes to move the curser from one MB item to another.

That is the dealbreaker for me introducing this technology to anyone; it has to be as fast or faster than a set-top box because most mainstream people simply will not care about the nice pictures if there is a 2+ second input lag navigating the beast, whereas there is <1 second lag on their set-top box they are used to.

This is a good questions, and i too would like to know if this is the case. Being able to have a central repository that all the tuners (in case they have to be network tuners) can write too, and all devices can read from is a core component to my end goal.

Right now it looks like I am being too optomistic with my goal, and that there is not good solution to share a tuner pool and store recorded media. Two primary keys in that I need to have both. Extenders in the sense of what they are now, do not sound appealing to me. If they could be software enables through WMC then we would be on to something.

From what i have heard your comment regarding the server is correct. Windows home server has a plugin that will automate transfer of designated tv, otherwise you will have to manually do it, unless you have some other automated backup program.

The HD-PVR and the new PCI-E version are the closest to being ideal but they are expensive solutions and require a STB for each tuner. There is no copyright flag with them.

One compromise would be to use the Ceton for all unflagged channels and set up an hd-pvr or two for recording known flagged channels. This will work if a decent portion of your providers content is not flagged. That way any pc would be able to view the archived content. You would still have to use extenders for live tv however. Using guide tool you could set up your guide listings so that there was no duplication of channels.

This is a good questions, and i too would like to know if this is the case. Being able to have a central repository that all the tuners (in case they have to be network tuners) can write too, and all devices can read from is a core component to my end goal.

Right now it looks like I am being too optomistic with my goal, and that there is not good solution to share a tuner pool and store recorded media. Two primary keys in that I need to have both. Extenders in the sense of what they are now, do not sound appealing to me. If they could be software enables through WMC then we would be on to something.
this is a goal I've wanted for years as well, and we are not alone.

hopefully, some day, the holy grail of HTPC will arrive. but probably not.

Just for fun, lets look outside the box...

I'm in the same boat as most of you in this thread. I want a multi-room solution that utilizes a "tuner pool" and a centralized location for the recordings. Currently, our "best" option(s) leave much to be desired. Xbox's are underpowered, additional computers can't share the tuners/recording drive, and Sage doesn't support the Ceton (yet...).Since we don't have a simple and effective solution for 2 of the 3 roadblocks, I pose a new thought...

How do I upgrade my xbox? :D

It's basically a computer. Wouldn't really be practical for gaming, but it might help us out...

Back