CES 2012 Nvidia Press Conference

Well, that's that. Time to go AMD hunting!

A Quote from there FB Page....

Hey GeForce fans, we love the excitement! While we’re not talking about Kepler during CES, we’re still on track with our plans and can’t wait to tell you more when we’re ready. At CES we'lll be talking about Tegra, 3D and automotive news, so stay tuned for more on that as the show progresses.

Did you seriously expect it this soon? I didn't

They said they would announce newest stuff in Geforce, if they would have at least said a sentence about something related to GPU's, not garbage like Tegra's in cars.

Did you seriously expect it this soon? I didn't

Going along with Nvidias past timeline of releases for graphics cards I was totally expecting them to announce the GTX 6xx line of cards. I was at least expecting them to give it a mention, but nothing. I think that was a huge disappointment.

I do think that the $250 tablet looks like an incredible value though. Its going to have to have some major bugs and issues for me not to pull the trigger on it.

Edit: line censored for misinterpretation and chaos.

Last edited:
Whats all this NVIDIA moving away from desktop?

You can't replace desktop.
Quadros, Geforce and Teslas are still their core business,
but it would be stupid to miss out on mobile opportunities.

Whats all this NVIDIA moving away from desktop?

You can't replace desktop.
Quadros, Geforce and Teslas are still their core business,
but it would be stupid to miss out on mobile opportunities.

I should reword that... I'm not talking about Nvidia not making desktop GPU's anymore, but I do feel that Nvidia is now prioritizing their business towards the tablet market. Of course Nvidia isn't going to just leave the desktop GPU market, but I am getting the feeling that it wont be a priority to continue large innovations in consumer desktop GPUs... at all. I hope that I am wrong.

7" tablet is exciting. No Kepler Gefore card fail.

That said, I am worried that Nvidia might be transitioning away from the desktop platform. If I am right, that is horrible for everyone on hardforum.

This is a nonsense. Nvidia has no reason to abandon desktop and they never told that want to abandon it.

That said, I am worried that Nvidia might be transitioning away from the desktop platform. If I am right, that is horrible for everyone on hardforum.

the exact opposite is the case, Nvidia have no contracts with sony/microsoft or nintendo in the next gen consoles, they lost a big part of the pie with that, desktops/gaming laptops is all they have on the serious gaming side of things

Ya, I've always just had better luck with nVidia cards over ATI, but man, the 7970 just looks too good to pass up.

With no info from nVidia on their next generation, seems they just aren't ready to release anything in the near future that can compete with the 7970.

Dangit, and I had a 7970 in my cart from Amazon earlier today that was in stock (Gotta pay taxes at the Egg).

Ya, I've always just had better luck with nVidia cards over ATI, but man, the 7970 just looks too good to pass up.

With no info from nVidia on their next generation, seems they just aren't ready to release anything in the near future that can compete with the 7970.

Dangit, and I had a 7970 in my cart from Amazon earlier today that was in stock (Gotta pay taxes at the Egg).

7970 is only 4% faster on average than a gtx580.
What's the point?

7970 is only 4% faster on average than a gtx580.
What's the point?

The reviews I've read show between 10-30% increase over a gtx580 at 2560x1600 which is what I game at.

Plus, I only have a 480 right now, so probably closer to a 15-50% increase as well as consuming less power, running cooler, and more importantly, running quiet.

I don't really play that many games nowadays anyways (just had a baby boy!), but I'm sure a few of you other folks agree that sometimes you just get that 'itch' to buy something.. lol.

Enougb to say that 7970 is only 4% faster on average.

how do you come up with 4%?

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/12/22/amd_radeon_hd_7970_video_card_review/14

st1.gif

7970 against an overclocked 580

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/01/09/amd_radeon_hd_7970_overclocking_performance_review/7

oc1.gif

how about an overclocked 7970 against that same overclocked 580

so how do you come up with 4%?

Well, that's that. Time to go AMD hunting!

A Quote from there FB Page....

Hey GeForce fans, we love the excitement! While we’re not talking about Kepler during CES, we’re still on track with our plans and can’t wait to tell you more when we’re ready. At CES we'lll be talking about Tegra, 3D and automotive news, so stay tuned for more on that as the show progresses.

Wow, Nvidia missing a chance to steal a little bit of AMD's thunder. If they are keeping this quiet about Kepler, maybe it is further out than we think.

Wow, Nvidia missing a chance to steal a little bit of AMD's thunder. If they are keeping this quiet about Kepler, maybe it is further out than we think.

maybe? it is. we wont be seeing high end parts in feb like people are saying.

Possibly but at the same time AMD is just launching the 7900s and Kepler leaks are out there so nVidia doesn't need to rush it I'd say and hype up something too prematurely. The 7970s look like great cards but at the same time the multi-GPU does seem to still have classic AMD issues and while the performance gains are solid they aren't exactly fantastic for a next-gen process either though the the overclocking is there.

At this point I'm very content to wait for everything next gen, Ivy Bridge, Kepler and Windows 8 and just build a uber rig from scratch, these 3 580s will get me to the end of the year with great performance without much trouble.

Ya, even though I have 7970's shipping to me as we speak, I think Kepler will decimate when it arrives. Especially in the department of multi-GPU/multi-screen. I still wish I had my Quad-3GB 580 setup lol.

I still wish I had my Quad-3GB 580 setup lol.

Why did you get rid of it? I'm sure your 7970s will perform a lot better on average but I've been extremely impressed with 3x 580 SLI even with just 1.5 GB cards, just not many issues and even with 3D I can dive most games very well.

Microsoft is on the list too !!!!! Oh my GOG !!!!! I'm blowing up my PC right now !!!!!! :D

Microsoft is on the list too !!!!! Oh my GOG !!!!! I'm blowing up my PC right now !!!!!! :D Did you read the top line that consumers purchased 8 games every second of every day in 2010. Those poor bastards are getting raped by the evil consumers. I wonder if the pirates stole 8 games a second in 2010? Just like the government, they just can't get enough.

Last edited:
Retailers must be begging NVIDIA to be quiet about Kepler for as long as possible to give them time to make some money on the 500 series cards.

NVIDIA is being too nice to retailers and AMD IMO. I think NVIDIA is going to release something huge with their 28nm gpus once they are ready to do so. (hopefully ASAP)

They won't be releasing their "huge" GPUs soon. The competitors to the 7970 are being released last in Kepler's schedule and should be here by mid/late 2H of 2012 according to Nvidia's timeline.

CES is arrived, why NVIDIA don't presented any new GPUs? :eek:

I'm glad that my GTX580 SLI will last a little bit more, sincerely I really don't need more power for now.

Back