Celeron M or Atom

illuminate

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Dell B130. Specs are as follows:

• Celeron m @ 1.5ghz
  • 2gb ram
  • 80gb hdd

Obviously it's old and it's all I have because I had to leave my nic(er) desktop in Korea for the winter/summer.

I do have someone who said they would be me $100-$150 for it (the B130). But, what I'm wondering is.. would it be worth the $100 - $150 to get a netbook for the smaller size + atom?

And, to get to the main point, is the atom any faster or slower than the celeron m @ 1.5ghz? If it's not, I might just keep this till my parents buy me a laptop for college in June, but if it's worth the $100 or so, then Ill get it.

I run just normal stuff, firefox, pidgin, skype, office '07.. and then I push it at times with Photoshop CS4, Fruity Loops, and Lightroom 2. The B130 runs all of those. Would the Atom as well?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The original Asus eee PC used a 900 MHz Celeron, which based on most reports I read was slightly slower than the Atom N270 that replaced it in the first Atom-based models.

Last edited:
The Celeron M would be faster. It's based on Pentium M architecture.

Even if the Atom was fast enough, I definately wouldn't want apps like Photoshop on a 10 inch screen.

An Atom's definitely fast enough for any amount of browsing, office work, IM'ing, skype etc. You can multi-task to a reasonable extent while doing that... I'm writing from one where I've got 6 FF windows open (dozen tabs or more on each), 4 explorer windows, Ghost (was browsing thru a backp), Lala playing music, and a Word docs open in the background... It's fine up 'till now, but if I were to load it up any further it'd probably start to crawl heavily.

I don't think you'd be able to get away w/Photoshop/Lightroom on it unless you're doing very light work tho, plus it'd be awful uncomfortable anyway as the above poster mentioned... 10" screens w/1024x600 res are a pain for any type of content creation. You've got a decent 1280x800 display on that Dell (low res for the size but definitely better for working on regardless), and most low end netbooks only come w/1GB of RAM pre-installed...

You'll definitely get way more battery life out of the netbook if you're after mobility primarily tho. I doubt it'd be much slowerthan the B130 if you got one w/2GB of RAM or bumped it up yourself. Hell the cheap 160GB HDD on most netbooks are probably noticeably faster than the old 80GB drive on your Dell.

See if your parents are willing to let you buy that laptop now.

You should be able to upgrade the CPU to something a little more modern. The Laptop should support Pentium M 7x5 models, up to the 765, which is a 2100MHz cpu.

I'm seeing the 765 for $100 and the 755(2GHz) for between $30 and $75 on ebay.

You should be able to upgrade the CPU to something a little more modern. The Laptop should support Pentium M 7x5 models, up to the 765, which is a 2100MHz cpu.

I'm seeing the 765 for $100 and the 755(2GHz) for between $30 and $75 on ebay.

If he's getting a new laptop soon, is there really a point in upgrading?

No, the Celeron was faster....well for games anyway...the Hyper-Threading really helps on the Atom.

Hm, okay, thanks for the replies.

I was a bit worried about photoshop on a 10in screen. But, i do only do low-end stuff. Nothing really difficult, and I do have a 19in LCD i could hook up to if I really needed it.

mwarps, I looked into the upgrade, and I really don't want to touch the CPU. I've upgraded the hdd and ram (ram from 512mb to 2gb and hdd from 40gb to 80gb) already and since I'm getting a new laptop in 4-5 months from my parents, I'll just wait.

450, I've asked them a ton of times already, and they just don't have the money to spare atm. :/

This is actually the specific netbook I was looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152142

the 14hour battery life plus wireless b/g/n really turned me on. The 160gb hdd is small, but I'd upgrade that too at aleast 250, and then this dell B130 has a single 2gb stick in it, which I would just switch over to the netbook.

Thanks again for the input everyone, I appreciate it. I might get the netbook because size is a big issues cause I travel a lot. Even though photoshop on the netbook would suck size wise, it might be worth it in the long run due to all my traveling.

i have been using a HP Mini 110 with N280 atom, 2 gb ram and 250 hd for 2 months now. it came with windows 7 starter which i replaced with windows 7 ultimate. I have not installed photoshop in it, but i use ACDSee to view and edit pictures, and it opens and runs at a reasonable speed. as far as i understand, N series Atom is the fastest. Z series processors will be bit slower but will give better battery life. i bought mine with 6 cell battery, and give me bit over 5 hours of battery life with heavy usage and full screen brightness. i also notice, the model you looking has its battery stick out in the bottom. mine also is like that, and when carrying around it looks kind of odd. but once you place on to something and start using, it makes typing easier.

Is there a way you can borrow a netbook to try it out?

Is there a way you can borrow a netbook to try it out?

Not in depth enough. I only know one friend with one, and it runs linux on a 8gb ssd. That wouldn't be enough room to install W7 and then photoshop. :/

windows 7 performance index for my HP Mini 110.

1M super pi takes 1min 31sec to calculate.

i'll try to install photoshop on it later today.

Hm, okay. Everything BUT the processor is faster according to W7.
Here is what it says on my Dell B130:
w7.png

Thanks man, for doing that. I really appreciate it :)

So, do you all think it would be worth the processor speed to have better graphics, hard disk, and ram?

okey i finished installing the trial version of PS CS4 on my netbook. after clicking it takes around 10 seconds to load/open the application. this is how it looks on my 10.1 inch screen.

about the .4 difference in cpu, unless you move up to something like core 2 duo i dont think there will be any noticeable difference.

okay, sweet. It takes about 20-25 seconds for it to fully load on my machine. I guess that it might be due to ram and hard drive.

Here is what it looks like on my Dell now, not that it matters, but just for comparison:
ps.png

I guess it's not too bad. I don't use it /that/ much right now because I'm so busy with other stuff, but it's good to have incase i need to edit something.

I really appreciate you doing that, Onick. :)

So, I just picked up the Asus 1005HAB at bestbuy for $299.
It has

• 1gb ram
  • 160gb hdd
  • N wifi
  • Webcam
  • 6cell battery

I also picked up a toshiba external cd/dvd burner

I'm loving it. The keybard is a bit finicky, but it's alright. It's a lot faster too. Even though the processor is a little bit slower than the Celeron M on my Dell, the hard drive + faster ram + better graphics make rendering stuff in PS a lot faster. So, like someone said, the hard drive, graphics, and ram makes up for the slower CPU. The screen is alright size wise.. it will take some getting used it :) It says 8 hour battery life, and I think it might be able to get that. I have the screen 3/4 bright + wifi, and it says 6 hours. Ill be dropping a 2gb stick of ram in it, and I think i'll be all set :D

Back