• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Celeron e3300

jeremyshaw

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Aug 26, 2009
Messages
12,511
Hello,

I'm a little out of touch with Desktop Intel CPUs (not mobile).
Considering I'm in the market for a good HTPC/ITX setup (they are not interchangable terms... but I do want both, so crappy PSU, here I come! [actually, I already have a Morex 150w kit]).

I have a Zotac 9300ITX in my sights, and with a 150w (96w on the 12v rail) cap, would the Celeron e3300 be a perfect fit? Or would I really need something else? There are no decent AMD boards out for the ITX form factor now (that I could find in the last 2 months), so Intel... is my choice.

Thank you!
-Jeremy

p.s. it is out on newegg now!
 
Last edited:
According to a review I read, Celeron E3300 only uses up around 20W of power at 100% load, so just about any power source can handle it fine. If the computer is mainly a low power consumption HTPC but with more oomph than an Atom setup, the E3300 seems like a good fit indeed.

On the AMD front, the closest thing to the Zotac 9300-ITX would be the J&W Minix 780G.
 
Actually, the AMD version of the 9300 is the 8200 Zotac board.

E3300 is $64 at the Egg; C2D E5200 is $63 at Superbiiz/Ewiz. Obvious choice is obvious.
 
Thank you!
My current setup is a HP (see signuature?), I modded with the help of [H] members, but is now...
Way too noisey.

I know the 8x00 is the last AMD chipset by nVidia, but the 9300 is just so much faster, especially with larger monitors.

The 20W reading was from the voltage regulator...
There is some ambiguity in that, but no concern here.

I'm looking into creating my own case, but that is an iffy for now.
 
Hello,

I'm a little out of touch with Desktop Intel CPUs (not mobile).
Considering I'm in the market for a good HTPC/ITX setup (they are not interchangable terms... but I do want both, so crappy PSU, here I come! [actually, I already have a Morex 150w kit]).

I have a Zotac 9300ITX in my sights, and with a 150w (96w on the 12v rail) cap, would the Celeron e3300 be a perfect fit? Or would I really need something else? There are no decent AMD boards out for the ITX form factor now (that I could find in the last 2 months), so Intel... is my choice.

Thank you!
-Jeremy

p.s. it is out on newegg now!

I actually went with a lower CPU than you did (E1200) but went mATX (despite it going into an ATX midtower case that used to hold a P4C800-E Deluxe) for price reasons. Despite my misgivings about the chipset (nForce 7100/630i) both because it was nVidia (I tend to prefer Intel chipsets for Intel CPUs) and it being single-channel, I've noticed no lack of snap (the single-chanel mATX setup lets me use mismatched-by-size DIMMs; however, even the 3 GB of single-channel still scores 5.9 on the memory portion of 7 x64 RTM's WEI).

The weak spot is the graphics card (HIS HD3450 256 MB PCIe); however, I was only driving a 19" 4:3 CRT with a ceiling of 1600x1200 at the time. I can upgrade there to HD4650 or HD4670 (with 1 GB) without a PSU change; however, that would likely be the next-to-last upgrade before doing another rebuild (the only upgrades I'd have left would be hard drive related).
 
Yeah, at the time you got it, the E1200 and the E1400 were probably the only choices.

Thouh I wished for the E1200 (way cheaper), the E3300 is rather fast.
I'd almost daresay faster then my notebook's t5600... but the 2mb cache shows it's prowess here.

I'd recommend you wait.

I did, and I ended up with a 9800gt (though it is not the best, it is beast for a SFF!).
 
Back
Top