• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Celeron D worth it?

FalconSS

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Messages
1,297
I have a a P4 3.2E on an Abit IC7-G Max2 advance mobo. with an HIS 3850 Oc'ed Graphics card. and 2 gigs of corsair XMS PC3200 ram

I have been having problems with a few games not due to CPU Speed, but due to my lack of multiple cores.

would I see any differance or would it be worth it to pick up a 3.2Ghz Celeron D (the highest my mobo would allow)

I would be going down from 800Mhz FSB to 533.

don't tell me I need to build a new system because I know and am in the process, just wondering specifically if this would help this pc run smoother/faster or not.

games i'm seeing I need extra cores on:

Mass effect
Dragon Age
assassins creed

really any game thats multiplatform with Xbox 360 i've noticed. maybe something with emulation since it has 3 cores? I believe I have the graphical power but my CPU is holding me back. I see socket 939's with a similer setup but dual core and they are getting almost double framerates.

EDIT:
I actually got a small bump to FPS by lowering my overclock on my current build from 3.68 to 3.4 and back to stock voltage. I guess this old chip can't take it anymore. lol. Still thinking 2 3.2 cores with a lower FSB would be faster than my single "3.4" in todays games. What do you guys think?
 
Last edited:
Celeron D is not dual core. :(

IIRC you have the 2nd best CPU or Socket 478, the best being the 3.4 Extreme Edition. (pointless to get, your 3.2 is good enough)

Don't waste any more time/money on upgrades, its not worth it - you're getting a new system soon. If you do want to do something still, get a Core 2 Duo or AM2 motherboard that will take DDR 1 and AGP, then get a cheap CPU to match and overclock!
 
Last edited:
lol, nm I guess the "D" doesn't stand for dual. I guess the only upgrade would be going up to the 3.6 or 3.8 prescott's...talk about Hott!
 
ok, after doing more research, wikepidia on there Pentium D webpage says this

"The 865- and 875-series chipsets supported multiprocessing. Motherboards with them might be Pentium D compatible with an updated BIOS. "

Since mine is an 875P would it work?
 
ok, after doing more research, wikepidia on there Pentium D webpage says this

"The 865- and 875-series chipsets supported multiprocessing. Motherboards with them might be Pentium D compatible with an updated BIOS. "

Since mine is an 875P would it work?

Not necessarily. Not all manufacturers using the 875P enabled dual-core CPU support for their mobos. In addition, as ND40oz pointed out: your mobo is socket 478. You'd need socket 775 for Pentium D CPUs.
 
Back
Top