• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Celeron 2.4 or P4 1.8

2.4 Celeron or 1.8 Pentium 4

  • 2.4 Celeron

    Votes: 10 58.8%
  • 1.8 Pentium 4

    Votes: 7 41.2%

  • Total voters
    17
  • Poll closed .

Jeepers

n00b
Joined
Mar 30, 2005
Messages
40
I've got a choice between two Dell boxes to be my new server box (2k3 standard). One has a celeron 2.4 and the other has a pentium4 1.8. I'm pretty sure the 2.4 is on a 533 fsb and the 1.8 is on a 400 fsb. Either comes with 512 ram at 266. Which of these would you go with?
Is the 1.8 faster then the 2.4?
 
fairly certain both of those are FSB400, the celerons did not get 533 until prescott.

Is that p4 a willamette or northwood?

edit: and if it is a prescott, the celeron wins hands down.
 
Celeron wins either way. Even if the celeron is a prescott derived core and the P4 is a northwood, the clock advantage more than offsets the cache size advantage of the P4. It's just a matter of how much faster that celeron is.
 
I think you misunderstood me. If the celeron is prescott based, it wins automatically - 533fsb and 256k cache. If the P4 is a wilamette and the Celeron is a NW, the Celeron is going to win again. If the P4 is a northwood and the celery is a northwood... the battle will be a lot closer. the 128k the NW celerons had absolutly killed their performance.
 
Putting the service tag numbers into Dell's website and hitting original config, I get this:

P4 1.8 machine
PROCESSOR, 80532, 1.8G, 512K, 400, SOCKET N, C1

Cel 2.4 machine
PROCESSOR, 80531, 2.4G, 128K, 400, CELERON, DECISION ONE


So, are we saying that the 600Mhz advantage in clock the Cel has makes up for the deficient cache?

I'm leaning towards the Cel box, but want to be sure. I don't want to split hairs though either as I know it is probably close, but if the P4 has overall performance advantage, I'd rather run with it.
 
well, that cache is going to hurt the celeron quite a bit, down to 1.8 northwood performance I'm not sure. just run a few senthetics on them (like sandra) and see which one comes out on top, i think itll be pretty close.
 
Good for you.

I ran Super Pi Mod1.4 on each.
The 2.4 Cel did it in 2m 11.5sec and
the 1.8 P4 did it in 1m 31.7sec.

My main box with a p4 2.8c did it in 50.266sec.

Who's a SuperPi know it all. Is the roughly 40 second difference significant.

I might run something else as well.
 
It all depends on what you're using it for...since you said it's a server box, does your server need more clockspeed or more cache?
 
Jeepers said:
Good for you.

I ran Super Pi Mod1.4 on each.
The 2.4 Cel did it in 2m 11.5sec and
the 1.8 P4 did it in 1m 31.7sec.

My main box with a p4 2.8c did it in 50.266sec.

Who's a SuperPi know it all. Is the roughly 40 second difference significant.

I might run something else as well.

Doesn't surprise me. The school pc's do Super PI 1m In about 1:12 on a cel @ 3ghz. My 2.8ghz P4 northwood does it in 52 seconds....
 
Well, Super Pi tests memory latency and bandwidth. Personally, I think it acts more like a synthetic benchmark. As far a computation power goes, the celeron still wins. You just stated it was going to be a server....as far as that goes, maybe specifying what type of server it is going to be would help us a little. In the end, I don't think it really matters which one you pick since they are all probably overkill, so pick the cheaper option.
 
Back
Top