catostrophic system failure

Shiloh

n00b
While playing COD:MW last night, the system in my sig shut down. The screen went to black, the headphones started outputting a low frequency pulsating hum. I had to shut it down. It will not reboot. Nothing comes on, except that the light on my headphones (plugged into the mobo on-board sound) will come on. Lights on the usb mouse will not come on. If I flip the switch on the back of the power supply off, wait a minute, flip it back on, and then press the system on-switch, the power supply fan will briefly jostle, and an interior light will pulse for a split second. Other than that, nothing happens.

I built the system a couple of years ago. Don't have much (any) experience troubleshooting things like this, but my best guess is the power supply is the culprit. But, if it is the power supply, why are the headphones getting power? Any other guesses?

Follow the stickied "Basic Troubleshooting Guide" on what to do when the PC does not POST and report back.

Easy thing to try would be to stick a different psu in and see if that fixes it. Otherwise I suppose it could be your mobo or really a number of things.

Sorry, didn't notice that sticky.

The power supply checks out fine. When I booted without the video card, it cranked right up before giving me the expected error beeps. So, I'm off to the video card forum to get recommendations for a new one.

Thanks for the responses and help.

Sorry to hear it was the GPU. At least you'll get a GPU upgrade out of this.

Back