Catalyst AI enabled or disabled.. single card

Zarich

Limp Gawd
Single 5850.. should catalyst AI be enabled on standard or disabled. Which is better and why. I seem to get conflicting answers on this.

disabled.

From what I know "advanced" for crossfire, disabled for everything else.

In reality, I haven't encountered any issue with Catalyst AI, so I cannot really say (HD5870 crossfire, here).

Enabled.

Some games don't get AA without it (for those few that bizarre driver tricks are needed to make AA work properly. "Bizarre driver tricks" = Cat AI.)

Single 5850.. should catalyst AI be enabled on standard or disabled. Which is better and why. I seem to get conflicting answers on this.

Not entirely sure but i have mine disabled because it crashes in L4D and MW2 if i have it on.... I have a 4870 however.

disabled.

From what I know "advanced" for crossfire, disabled for everything else.

In reality, I haven't encountered any issue with Catalyst AI, so I cannot really say (HD5870 crossfire, here).

Enable means the optimization is on based on profiles.

Disable means turns all optimize or fix off supposedly, also turn the profiles off, which include CF...

Advance is to force AFR in game for CF...

just leave it enable for the best result.

Enabled, it turns on some optimizations and you won't be able to tell the difference in image quality. I don't have any games crash due to it being on but you can disable it if you have problems, but you should have it enabled otherwise.

I've tried all 3 options and enabled seems to be the best because advanced did drop the IQ a bit from what I could tell and performance was a bit worse with disabled.

Agreed. It's been my understanding that, generally speaking, you should be running it enabled on advanced for the best performance. From there, you'd drop back to standard or disabled only if you're experiencing issues. I always run mine on advanced and haven't had any problems...or at least no problems that were fixable by disabling it.

I did some testing for a buddy who was having lots of crashes in Second Life (or Sadville). Turns out the issue was AI being turned on to Advanced/Enabled.

Once it was switched off no more crashes.

There is really no reason to have Catalyst AI disabled. If disabling it solves a problem then that is likely indicative of a larger underlying issue, where disabling Catalyst AI merely bypasses the issue. Similar to how crossfire users having crossfire issues will sometimes disable it and think they've fixed something when really they just gimped their setup.

Back