Catalyst 9.2 this week

Tamlin_WSGF

2[H]4U
From CatalystMaker ( Manager of Catalyst Product Management) @ twitter.com:Catalyst 9.2 is on target for release later this week ;-)

CrossFire Support for FEAR 2 will be in 9.2. We will be using Cat 9.2 for the 4870 X2 in our FEAR 2 article.

You can probably bet on the multi-core enhancements that were left out of the 9.1 build as well.

You can probably bet on the multi-core enhancements that were left out of the 9.1 build as well.

Ok, I'm a little confused. When people say "multicore", I assume they mean CPU, instead of "multigpu". Is that not correct?

Ok, I'm a little confused. When people say "multicore", I assume they mean CPU, instead of "multigpu". Is that not correct?

That's what I think when they say multi-core support.

To me, it's usually driver and performance enhancements for computers with multiple processors/cores.

Doesn't Nvidia have the same in their Forceware drivers for quite a long while now?

so multi-core support fix only applies to vista dx10?
I guess multi-core support is already working with xp and dx9?

CrossFire Support for FEAR 2 will be in 9.2. We will be using Cat 9.2 for the 4870 X2 in our FEAR 2 article.

i am going to assume that crossfire support has been left out until now in fear2. apparently thats why my framerates havent been as good as i thought they should be with my x2.

so multi-core support fix only applies to vista dx10?
I guess multi-core support is already working with xp and dx9?

Yes the Multi-Core code path for DX9 is already functional. The multi-core path everybody is talking about is DX10 only. That's right from the mouth of the ATI guys that post over at Rage3D. Sorry can't find the link at the moment.

vanilla_guerilla said:
i am going to assume that crossfire support has been left out until now in fear2. apparently thats why my framerates havent been as good as i thought they should be with my x2.

While I don't play F.E.A.R. 2 this is my only gripe with ATI. They need to hurry up and let us create profiles for games as we see fit instead of having to rename game EXE file which sometimes causes other issues. That way we can at least have some form of AFR until a true profile is added to the drivers.

You sure about that?

My framerates are on par though I am running 1600x1200 with everything maxed. The icon does show Xfire enable (the upper right hand side).

You sure about that?

My framerates are on par though I am running 1600x1200 with everything maxed. The icon does show Xfire enable (the upper right hand side).

no, i am not sure. i was only assuming because brent posted that crossfire support for fear2 will be in 9.2. i am using 8.12 hotfix, 16x10, all max, 4xaa, 16xaf, no vsync and fraps reports my fps between 60 and 90fps. what icon is this, that you speak of?

Thanks Brent. I can't wait to fully unleash my crossfire set-up with this game. I can run fine, but with some things turned down.

i will give it a good weak before i consider installing these after they are released. let you guys be the guinea pigs :D

Well hopefully they fix some things and make improvements and not just put a new number on the driver. Like the error 43 with 1 of the GPUs deactivated on the 4870 X2 that a lot of us have been having and have to use 8.11 to get it to work right.

Well hopefully they fix some things and make improvements and not just put a new number on the driver. Like the error 43 with 1 of the GPUs deactivated on the 4870 X2 that a lot of us have been having and have to use 8.11 to get it to work right.

Geez, I really hope they get that error 43 fixed this time.

You sure about that?

how do you set this icon to show when XFire is enable? And would it work with a 4870 x2 to show both gpus are working, or would it need 2 4870 x2's to show both cards are working?

how do you set this icon to show when XFire is enable? And would it work with a 4870 x2 to show both gpus are working, or would it need 2 4870 x2's to show both cards are working?

one card 2 gpu's.... I cannot recall where you enable that but I am familiar with it.

it think it's an option in the ati tray
show crossfirex watermark or something similar

it think it's an option in the ati tray
show crossfirex watermark or something similar

yes

in the ATI systray, right click on it, select the primary GPU and then check the selection, show icon when Xfire is enabled.

I AM running a 4870 X2.

Thanks Brent. I can't wait to fully unleash my crossfire set-up with this game. I can run fine, but with some things turned down.

Interesting, I can run the demo at 1680x1050 4aa, 16af just fine with just a 8800gt at 700/2000 with Phenom II rig. Maybe the retail game runs different.

Most people with ATI seem to be having the issue although once in a while you will see the nvidia crowd.

I did run the demo maxed out, but could only manage mid 30's fps. Since it added to the already bad stuttering I turned it down.

A little confused...if there is no xfire profile for FEAR 2...and if that means you only use one core on an x2....why does the xfire watermark show up when I run FEAR 2?

I assume I have heard wrong and xfire is automatically enabled on an x2 even without a profile....can anybody clarify this?

(Of course I have to disable AI, and the second core, otherwise I crash to desktop every 10 minutes...but that's another story...)

For starters, rename the fear exe to fear.exe. Its very simple and it works :)

2nd, Will the 9.2's really officially support the multi gpu 4850x2? Im still on 8.11 :(

Will 9.2 fully support HD4650?

ATM (with 9.1), I can't configure any video settings in CCC

2nd, Will the 9.2's really officially support the multi gpu 4850x2? Im still on 8.11 :(

For the demo that works great.. if you're say that works for the full version then you have just admitted to piracy as Steam will not allow the renaming of a Steam application.

So does later this week mean like...tomorrow.. or is that just something they say and then they come out whenever?

So does later this week mean like...tomorrow.. or is that just something they say and then they come out whenever?

Monday and Tuesday are earlier in the week. Wednesday is the middle of the week. So I usually call Thursday and Friday the later of the week. So hopefully either today or tomorrow.

Is the game only available through Steam?

More or less, yes. Even if you buy the retail box, like I did, it will require an active steam account to use it, as it uses Valve's SteamWorks DRM mechanism.

Edit: Not sure about how DRM is handled from Direct2Drive.

k...I didn't mean to derail the thread. The piracy accusation threw me off because I didn't know about the Steam DRM.

Monday and Tuesday are earlier in the week. Wednesday is the middle of the week. So I usually call Thursday and Friday the later of the week. So hopefully either today or tomorrow.

They might put in OT as Sat and Sunday are still part of the current week too ;)

why not? there are official 9.1 cats for the 4850x2. also, a simple mod for the 8.12 hotfix, if you dont want to wait for the 9.2.

go to

C:\ATI\SUPPORT\8-12_vista64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu_74234\Driver\Packages\Drivers\Displ ay\LH6A_INF\CH_74234.inf (after you have unpacked the drivers, of course)

open the file with notepad. go to the end of the long list of ati cards and add this line

"ATI Radeon HD 4850 X2" = ati2mtag_R7X, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9443

(with the quotes)

save. re-install drivers.

Back