Catalyst 4.12 BETA is out.

And according to Catalyst Maker, 4.12 BETA is better than 4.11 especially for Half-Life2.

Wow this must be the fastest update on drivers I have EVER seen :p My CAT 4.11 drivers were only 1 hour old too :p Good job ATI!

skritch said:
Who/what is Catalyst Maker?

his name is Terry Makedon and he one of the lead designers of the Catalyst drivers...he frequently posts on the Driverheaven.net forums....he actually stated the following about these new 4.12 beta drivers...."if you are planning on playing a hot new game in the next few days, I really recommend you use these drivers. Of course they only work on ATI cards..."

I think we all know what game he is talking about :D ...something to do with a crowbar and a guy named Gordon :cool:

These aren't for HL2, they are to fix the punkbuster issue. Just like the previous set wasn't for 3DMark05, but to fix a KOTOR bug! :p

These seem to be about as fast as the Omega 4.11 betas which mean you should see rather large bumps in Farcry (dunno about any other games, only game I tested at the time). I'll have to install 4.12s though since im getting halflife2 =/.

Upgraded from Cat 4.10 to 4.12 beta and got a 50-pt increase in 3DMark05 with a 9800PRO.

upgraded from omega 8.07 and my 3dmark improvement is negligible (5 points) but my doom3 fps is up 1fps to 62.3fps 1600x1200 timedemo demo1

So where are the benches on the VST? They talk of HL2 specific drivers, and no one does VST benches, or even CS:S ones? You're all fired (I'm at my girlfriends, so I can't try them myself). All. Fired.

Okay, I'll give, just installed the 4.12 betas over the 4.11 betas...

4.11 beta (8.07) VST=61.7fps
4.12 beta (8.08) VST=69.1fps

1280x1024 (LCD), Vsync on, all detsails high, 2xAA/4xAF

No unlock damn Steam, unlock HL2!

Well it sure didn't get along with my rig well. Went from 4.10 to 4.12 and my 3DMark01 score fell by 2000 pts.

Woo, 4.12s sure do a number on the CS:S VST!

1600*1200, all setings at max, 6xAA, 16xAF, no VSync. Before it was 65.4, now it's at 75.35. This is on the system in my sig.

CS:S VST 1024x768

4.11 average fps out of four runs, all settings maxxed:
No AA/AF: 101.52
4X AA/No AF: 86.67

4.12b average fps out of four runs, all settings maxxed:
No AA/AF: 105.98
4X AA/No AF: 94.62

Note: Specs in sig, also in the 4.11's some texture corruption occurred with AA enabled, especially on the bump mapping around the floor area (purple). The 4.12b's did not have this, nor did the 4.10's. Video card at stock speeds.

Conclusion: They kick ass. A very nice boost with AA enabled.

FiZ said:

Note: Specs in sig, also in the 4.11's some texture corruption occurred with AA enabled, especially on the bump mapping around the floor area (purple). The 4.12b's did not have this, nor did the 4.10's. Video card at stock speeds.

Perhaps if we knew what game you tested on...

Looks like ATi is delivering with driver performance despite people claiming they had topped out and how a certain competitors drivers would magically give huge boosts for their cards. ;)

FiZ said:
CS:S VST 1024x768

How about CCC ?
Did you install CCC with Catalyst 4.12 Beta ?? I ask because of A.I. option/setting which is only available in CCC.

Is what I'm getting good for my system? I used VST like once before installing the 4.12bs :(.

1024x768 noAA, noAF - default settings on VST - 144fps
1024x768 4xAA, noAF - default settings on VST - 113fps
1024x768 4xAA, 4xAF - default settings on VST - 97fps

I noticed VST looses a lot of performance AF wise so I prefer 4xAF. Hope there is optimized filtering performance in hl2 ;/.

too bad the full version wont come out till the 16th when HL2 Debuts, sounds good anyway, godbless ati

So what about other games? I mean if this is an optimization just for HL2. I don't want to keep reloading drivers to optimize game performance. By the way, right now I play mostly online UT 2004, CoD etc..

SocketA said:
So what about other games? I mean if this is an optimization just for HL2. I don't want to keep reloading drivers to optimize game performance. By the way, right now I play mostly online UT 2004, CoD etc..

I have benched Doom 3 and Max Payne 2, absolutley no change in performance on those games, so I don't think you have to worry about it. I think they can optimize for one game without breaking another.

ShePearl said:
How about CCC ?
Did you install CCC with Catalyst 4.12 Beta ?? I ask because of A.I. option/setting which is only available in CCC.

what exactly is the benefit of having the A.I. option ? (i have an x800 pro vivo)

I tried playing my NFS: Underground 2 demo and it wont show anything but the tail lights :rolleyes:

right, so where is the windows 2000 beta drivers?

i didn't that it only worked on xp the first time, so i kept trying to install and going "wtf it won't install!"

anyone haveing the same probelm with NFSU 2? im downloading it now and im going to pissed if i have the same problem

MrFace said:
I tried playing my NFS: Underground 2 demo and it wont show anything but the tail lights :rolleyes:

this is a problem only of the 4.12 beta right ? using 4.11 it's fine .... or not ?

mentorxxx said:
this is a problem only of the 4.12 beta right ? using 4.11 it's fine .... or not ?

No idea. I had 4.10 and then I installed 4.12

mentorxxx said:
what exactly is the benefit of having the A.I. option ? (i have an x800 pro vivo)
It allows for general (trilinear, AF) and app-specific optimizations. I believe it is on by default if you don't have the CCC. It has three settings: disabled, standard, and advanced. Standard is considered by many the best overall selection.

after all the problems i heard here and especialy the NFSU 2 bug ,i prefered to go from 4.10 final to 4.11 final and not try the 4.12 beta at all .

There is an AMAZING difference with 4.11 !!!!! i gained +1017 points in 3d mark 2005 !!!!

YES it's not a typing error !!! +1017 3d mark2005 points !!!!!!!!! using 4.11 final version from Ati .

mentorxxx said:
after all the problems i heard here and especialy the NFSU 2 bug ,i prefered to go from 4.10 final to 4.11 final and not try the 4.12 beta at all .

There is an AMAZING difference with 4.11 !!!!! i gained +1017 points in 3d mark 2005 !!!!

YES it's not a typing error !!! +1017 3d mark2005 points !!!!!!!!! using 4.11 final version from Ati .

the split second that 3dmark boost translates into actual real world gaming performance is the instant i'll care...

ShePearl said:
How about CCC ?
I will not use CCC, but AI can still be enabled (and is by default) through the registry. I had it on the 1st setting (not sure what its called, normal?). I'll try the more aggressive setting and see what happens.

Edit: I tried without AI enabled and my fps were nearly identical without AA, but with 4xAA they were around 86 (about 8 fps less). With AI on the most aggressive setting my fps were identical to the default normal AI setting (with 4xAA, didn't test without).

well my VST score at 1600x1200 went up 13fps from using the regular 4.10 catalyst. only problem is the floating shader blocks are blinking. anyone else experience this?

bump. i heard of one other person experiencing this on hl2.net forum.i just formatted clean and installed the 4.12 betas and still get it. if these drivers are supposed to be the HL2 preferred ones, why does it screw up the VST? so no one else get this problem?

I'll check them out and post results tomorrow night, just to keep it bumped. Here's hoping.

Anyone tested Farcry (yes I'm still playing it cause its purtee)? They seem to boost it by quite a bit over the 4.10s. Some indoor scenes dont kill my fps anymore.

I dont get the blinking shader blocks but I do get purple on certain surfaces such as the floor and pipes. I think it is where there is bump mapping in use. I was told that it may be a game glitch though. Anybody else get that?

I got it once and in turn I turned down a.i. from high to low and its never reoccurred. Don’t know if that solved the problem or it’s just a random game bug. I also don't get the flashing shader blocks, but that could be because I have a different setup than those that do.

Back