Catalyst 12.3 Drivers improperly installing for 6870.

Maplehamwich

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I was manually updating my video card drivers with a fresh install yesterday. Low and behold, I am having major issues. The only drivers I can get to install properly are the 12.1 Catalsyst.

12.2 and 12.3 Catalyst do not properly install, and seem to be unable to recognize that my video card is installed. It's very odd. Even if I install 12.1 and try to update from the Catalyst Control Center to 12.3, I get the same problem. The drivers install incorrectly.

I've tried express installation and manual installation. I've tried different install directories. I've tried all permutations it seems, but no matter what, 12.2 and 12.3 will not install properly.

The oddest thing is that I've installed 12.2 before but now it won't work.

Any ideas?

Find and download driver sweeper any version should be fine. wipe those old drivers out with it, restart, install newest drivers. check your chipset drivers too in device manager /system devices..right click properties on any of them, even if theres no yellow flags right click and check to see if any of the drivers are installed.

at the end of the catalyst installation does it say Yellow Errors or Green Completed successfully?

if it says errors when you open that up what errors did it receive?

a couple of things to try.

uninstall catalyst 12.1... after the uninstall is complete and befor eyou reboot

go into device manager and right click on the 6870 and do Uninstall on the drivers, you will get a popup prompt asking if you want to "remove" the driver software.. Hit yes.

do the same under Sound Devices (the ATI Sound driver, Uninstall - remove software)

now reboot, windows will try to install a generic driver.. you can hit cancel..

now run the 12.3 installer, watch for at the end where it says if it installed correclty or not .. if it has erros/warnings click on the link and open the file and post that here.

last question, is it the driver not installing or the CCC?

oh and i can't agree with the above poster.. find out what the problem is instead of taking a hatchet to your PC with driver cleaner/sweeper tools.

I had the same problem after trying the 12.4 betas I couldn't install them or any other version of AMD drivers. Driver Sweeper or CC Cleaner didn't help. So I reinstalled Windows. If you find a better solution I would like to hear how you fixed it for next time it happens.

I suppose I should have wrote exactly what messages I was getting, apologies for that. I'm at work now, but I'll attempt to go off memory.

Basically what happens when I attempt to clean install or update to 12.2 or 12.3 is:

- Installation Completes but changes resolution to 800x600. Get a green message saying installation completed successfully.

- Attempt to change resolution and am met with an error message from CCC saying it cannot initialize as there is an issue with the installed driver/driver does not exist.

- Look at system specifications etc and see that only "generic" video device is listed as video adapter. (vs. Radeon HD 6000 series being listed in 12.1 Catalyst install)

- I proceed with rage un-install of installed drivers and try again.

ok.. install 12.3 and then try and manually install the driver through device manager..

CCC won't initialize if it doesn' find the correct driver.

What card do you have? is it an off brand card?

it sounds like the driver portion isn't installing for whatever reason.. try and do a manual install and see if that is the issue.

I have an HIS Radeon HD 6870 1GB.

I've tried manually installing. No dice. Then I tried driver sweeper with no luck. I'm going to do a clean install of 12.4 now.
-edit-
12.4 Didn't work with any of the methods either...

I guess I'm rolling with 12.1

-edit-
12.1 isn't working. Going to to some cleaning utilities again, then try 12.3. If that doesn't work, I guess I'm doing a clean windows install tomorrow.

Last edited:
Well, fresh OS install hasn't solved my problem. Though upon Fresh OS Driver install, I did initially have an issue with Windows saying the drivers weren't signed, and thus unusable. I really have no idea what's going on now.

Hmmm maybe you card went bad? Did you try taking the card out of the slot and putting it back in? Maybe reseat the power connectors as well?

i updated my 6870 from 12.1 -12.3 last night when the driver update message popped up no problem. Selected manual install, driver and catalyst control panel only and all is well. Not sure whats happening on your end.

Brutal download speed.

I've physically re-installed the card with no change. I have some screenshots of the error's I am recieving.

gj6I7.jpg

boYaK.jpg

I've downloaded the drivers from the AMD support page as well as the AMD gaming page. I'll guess I'll scrounge around to see if there are any specific signed drivers.

-Edit-

Can't find any specific "digitally signed drivers." Did a clean of drivers (uninstall, restart, driver sweeper, restart, ccleaner) and then used the AMD auto-installer and got two error messages this time, after the utility completed with "Finished With Error Messages."

4yn8m.jpg

However, after rebooting, the I recieved the same "No Driver/Error with Drivers" message.

Last edited:
Success!

I am going to nail this one down to AMD-Microsoft software integration error.

So, I downloaded the 12.4 Beta's. Then I did the driver clean: uninstall, reboot, driver sweeper, reboot, ccleaner. I then installed the 12.4 beta's, but only Driver and CCC. Upon initialization I was presented with this box, which until now has not happened with any other driver install:

KpeG9.jpg

After clicking always trust and install, the install proceeded and succeeded as usual. Upon reboot though, no errors! I've checked things out and the install looks like a complete success! Hooray!

I finally got 12.3 to download and it loaded up fine for the new 7850 install. Getting very good performance with almost no noise here. Very happy :D

Back