Catalyst 11.11b Performance Driver Released

It seems like AMD has been having driver problems with Crossfire setups for quite a while now. Remember all the crap that got stirred up when [H] did that comparison between a pair of GTX460's and 5870's and the GTX460's just creamed the AMD cards? That was a driver problem there as well. AMD got wind of it and came out with some updated drivers that fixed the problem and the 5870's jumped back on top. So its not a matter of AMD not knowing how to make a proper driver, it more seems like an issue of them just not doing it when they need to and waiting for problems to spring up everywhere before they fix the issues.

In Skyrim on my Tri-Fire setup ive gained maybe 10Fps in some spots, Why release this driver it really not worth a shit.

It seems like AMD has been having driver problems with Crossfire setups for quite a while now. Remember all the crap that got stirred up when [H] did that comparison between a pair of GTX460's and 5870's and the GTX460's just creamed the AMD cards? That was a driver problem there as well. AMD got wind of it and came out with some updated drivers that fixed the problem and the 5870's jumped back on top. So its not a matter of AMD not knowing how to make a proper driver, it more seems like an issue of them just not doing it when they need to and waiting for problems to spring up everywhere before they fix the issues.

Thing here though is that the driver gap to me seems to be widening, not closing. When 6000s came out after the 500s about this time last year. the 6000s really did seem to have an enormous performance to price ratio advantage over the 500s and the CF and Eyefinity issues seemed to be fixed.

Fast forward a year latter and in the latest games and the 6000s simply don't have the performance to price ratio edge that they a year ago especially when you look at CF. The 6000s have not aged well due to driver issues with the latest games.

You guys with crossfire issues should try RadeonPro, it could help.

Use RP and it helps in Skyrim so that I can disable Xfire for just Skyrim and not universal but that is the only benefit. Guess I could try all the forced Xfire profiles and see if one helps but I doubt it will.

So they 'work' but you basically so no difference. Seems like they just got the performance to stop being negative at least but not any better then one card.

My bad, sorry... I don't monitor the forums much. To note, I'm using an i5 2500k OC to 4.2GHz and 2x HD6950's. And yes, the performance was negative... very negative. Which is why in CAP2 they disabled xfire. I was having very negative performance scaling, so it was nice to have them disable it so that I wouldn't have to switch xfire on/off, use RadeonPro or anything like that. It seems to me performance has improved. It's hard to see a difference because I don't know if I'm truly getting xfire enabled or not with my CAP 2 installed (which supposedly disabled xfire for Skyrim). That's all I was trying to say.

Ray-Ban, this is a texturing loading bug, basically the game runs out of memory so doesn't load the texture - the workaround is to use the skyrim4gb mod, that enables Large address aware on the exe.

With the skyrim 4gb workaround + Hayden's WSG eyefinity fix, I can enjoy this game the way it is meant to on the PC.
Got it. I don't run eyefinity, but I threw on the 4GB LAA fix last night and haven't run into the problem again. So silly to place a limit on max memory. Clearly, there was still a lot left for Bethesda to work on for a PC "port." So sad... Also, I started having crashes to the desktop as well before I applied the LAA patch, which again has so far not caused any more crashes either. Fingers crossed.

Also, are you sure it'd disabling crossfire? That might explain why I thought there was a performance improvement but seemed pretty negligible to the earlier driverset. Also, I have no idea if CAP2 is still to blame either.

Use RP and it helps in Skyrim so that I can disable Xfire for just Skyrim and not universal but that is the only benefit. Guess I could try all the forced Xfire profiles and see if one helps but I doubt it will.

CAP2 should have done this for you. I know for a fact, because I installed it without any other modifications to the game or any of my drivers, and negative crossfirex scaling went away while I still had crossfire enabled in CCC. But yes, it appears we will still be waiting for true xfire performance for Skyrim for quite a bit. I might even say that 11.12 will be a stretch, unless Bethesda can also work with AMD to get things done right.

using 2x 6970s in CrossFireX w/ 11.11b + 11.11 CAP2 the descaling seems to have stopped just going on the feel of it...

i express uninstalled all via Calalyst Install Manager ala Control Panel, i then went into Device Manager and uninstalled and selected delete the files for the Radeon HD 6970 devices, rebooted, ran (phyxion.net) Driver Sweeper 3.2.0, rebooted, then installed the 11.11b performance drivers, uninstalled the cap2 but running the 11.11 CAP2 installer and selecting remove... rebooted, and then installed the 11.11 CAP2 again

seems to work fine for me... in CrossFireX

From what I've read STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THESE!

Most are having major texture corruption/flickering issues.

Same here. :mad: Flickering textures, missing textures, flashing/flickering fog effects and the CTD's still persist if not worse under 11.11b drivers.

Running a pair of 5870's in Crossfire, and its safe to say this will be my LAST ATi multi-card setup. Going team green from now on.

Running a pair of 5870's in Crossfire, and its safe to say this will be my LAST ATi multi-card setup. Going team green from now on.

So, you are going make hasty hardware decisions because you don't like a beta driver?

Your choice I guess..

Just to let you know, your problem is with multi GPU setups in general, not specifically with AMD hardware.

Whenever a new title is released it usually takes a while before both AMD AND Nvidia get their SLI/Crossfire profiles to work properly.

This is just a fact of life if you run with more than one GPU. For the first month or two after a game has been released, I pretty much expect to run with SLI/Crossfire disabled until drivers and profiles catch up.

using 2x 6970s in CrossFireX w/ 11.11b + 11.11 CAP2 the descaling seems to have stopped just going on the feel of it...

seems to work fine for me... in CrossFireX

I thought CAP 2 forced single GPU mode?

Zarathustra[H];1038075229 said:
So, you are going make hasty hardware decisions because you don't like a beta driver?

Your choice I guess..

Just to let you know, your problem is with multi GPU setups in general, not specifically with AMD hardware.

Whenever a new title is released it usually takes a while before both AMD AND Nvidia get their SLI/Crossfire profiles to work properly.

This is just a fact of life if you run with more than one GPU. For the first month or two after a game has been released, I pretty much expect to run with SLI/Crossfire disabled until drivers and profiles catch up.
As someone who has run SLI with NV surround for the past year, I absolutely disagree that this is an inherent flaw of multi gpu setups. The only game I remember not working correctly at launch was dragon age 2 and even that was better than Skyrim on AMD hardware is.

As someone who has run SLI with NV surround for the past year, I absolutely disagree that this is an inherent flaw of multi gpu setups. The only game I remember not working correctly at launch was dragon age 2 and even that was better than Skyrim on AMD hardware is.

Fair enough.

I don't play the same games as everyone else on here does it seems, but the last two game launches I followed with enthusiasm (Civ 5 and Red Orchestra 2) both had bad or broken SLI and Crossfire support on launch.

Civ 5 took a while to get addressed. RO2 had some semi buggy workarounds (use profiles from other Unreal Engine 3 games) that did an OK job until final support materialized.

I find it sad that I can't play Skyrim on my gaming rig because of piss poor crossfire performance, texture corruption, and random crashes.

On my laptop I have none of this.

Back