Catalyst 10.5?

For the sake of curiosity, I'm downloading now. If I notice anything , I'll post the relevant information.

10.3 just came out. What about 10.4?

Well there were enough tweaks and fixes, along with adding support for the 6-output cards in the 10.3b drivers that the 10.4 drivers were probably not much more than them just getting an updated WHQL certified driver out the door. The WHQL process has to be started reasonably early so they have probably already submitted the 10.4 drivers.

What I'd like to know is if we can expect to continue receiving "preview" drivers via the AMD Underground website or if that was more of a one-time thing?

someone is saying that the vsync and stuttering issues are fixed in WoW with these.. wonder if the same goes for LotRO.. hmmm.. with vsync on lotro is choppy as hell unless it's pegged at 60fps.. if it goes below that it tries to slam the fps down to 30 and it looks like crap. well, it stutters like hell.. I've had to adjust IQ settings so the fps can stay at 60 though.. might try these out to see if that's fixed.

anyone tried these yet?

do they fix flickering in extended desktop mode?

My card doesn't go to the idle speeds of 157/300 anymore. At least, not when overclocked. I don't need or want the card sucking down full power while surfing the web or watching video, so it's back to 10.3b for me.

i tried them an i got the horizontal lines up and down the screen.. i like 10.3's better.

LotRO.. hmmm.. with vsync on lotro is choppy as hell unless it's pegged at 60fps.. if it goes below that it tries to slam the fps down to 30 and it looks like crap. well, it stutters like hell.. I've had to adjust IQ settings so the fps can stay at 60 though.. might try these out to see if that's fixed.

I'm running everything max (minus DX10 Shadows, those are High opposed to Very High) in this game with my 5850. VSYNC, I get 60FPS and in heavily wooded areas, 45. I never, ever, drop below 45. And when it does drop, there is no stutter. Did this just start happening for you with the 10.3 drivers?

For reference I'm using the 10.3 preview drivers.

someone is saying that the vsync and stuttering issues are fixed in WoW with these.. wonder if the same goes for LotRO.. hmmm.. with vsync on lotro is choppy as hell unless it's pegged at 60fps.. if it goes below that it tries to slam the fps down to 30 and it looks like crap. well, it stutters like hell.. I've had to adjust IQ settings so the fps can stay at 60 though.. might try these out to see if that's fixed.

That is a side effect of how VSync itself works. The "fix" is to use triple buffering - but that is dependent on the game supporting it, you typically can't force it through the driver. You could try something like D3DOverrider and force triple buffering + vsync through that.

Otherwise what you are describing isn't a bug at all.

My card doesn't go to the idle speeds of 157/300 anymore. At least, not when overclocked. I don't need or want the card sucking down full power while surfing the web or watching video, so it's back to 10.3b for me.

im getting the same thing here. its not terribly hard to click a few buttons before running a game to o/c though. im gonna try these out for a little while before i switch back.

im getting the same thing here. its not terribly hard to click a few buttons before running a game to o/c though. im gonna try these out for a little while before i switch back.

Please report back gaming performance. I never even got that far.

i got a 1 fps gain in Haven benchmark 2.0. didnt really check in game but i know i got the tearing lines across the screen which sucked. 10.3's were great for me.

10.4 are supposed to fix the slow perf in 2D. Wonder what these do...

BC2 load times are the same, no improvements in AvP, BC2, or JC2.

Gonna try Metro now.

I dont think BC2 load times are going to be fixed by a driver, it's the game rebuilding the shader files for DX10 and DX11 each time the map loads rather than caching them. If you force DX9 in the ini file then load times are quick without a huge visual hit, although I get some graphical problems in DX9 with my 5970.

Horizontal lines in BC2 aren't as bad with crossfire with the 10.5 from my two days of use. They disappear usually after a couple seconds if they crop up as well.

That is a side effect of how VSync itself works. The "fix" is to use triple buffering - but that is dependent on the game supporting it, you typically can't force it through the driver. You could try something like D3DOverrider and force triple buffering + vsync through that.

Otherwise what you are describing isn't a bug at all.

ok - I thought so.. and the game does support it and I have it enabled but it still does that... I tried D3DO also and it still stutters bad.. I thought maybe my card was getting memory starved or something.. I dunno... I might give these 10.5's a try just for grins. ;) the 10.3b drivers did improve the over all smoothness of the game play though, coming from 10.1... or at least it felt that way..

i installed this and my card went back to crashing and like ever 5-10 min

i installed 10.3 again and my card is fine

It's possible these drivers are older than 10.3b in certain aspects. Haven't tested them much yet, but they seem to be working okay. Only game I've checked for fps increase is Metro2033, but as far as I can tell there's at best a 1fps increase, which is certainly within the margin of error( though it appears consistent ).

These drivers fixed my problems with screen flickering when overclocking on a multi-monitor setup. I think that's why some of you are noticing higher idle clocks - a lot of people had issues with Overdrive lowering the voltage and clocks too low to run multiple monitors. That seems to be the fix. Work good so far for me.

these drivers have been working great for me. ive only played dirt 2 though...havent had enough time to try much else other than some dx 11 demos.

2d clocks seem to get disabled(157 core/300 mem) with ATI overdrive turned on. kind of annoying...

I installed the 10.5 drivers. work great! so far my systems stable (i had been getting black SODs for about a week, rolled back to 9.10 drivers and then just went to 10.5). All the features are there, but under the info screen it still says my current version is 9.10! Doesn't matter that much to me, but am curious to know why.

Are you supposed to uninstall the old drivers before uinstalling the new drivers?

I installed the 10.5 drivers. work great! so far my systems stable (i had been getting black SODs for about a week, rolled back to 9.10 drivers and then just went to 10.5). All the features are there, but under the info screen it still says my current version is 9.10! Doesn't matter that much to me, but am curious to know why.

Were the black screens happening when you were gaming?

Back