Catalyst 10.2 is out

Installed them over the 10.1's, no problems whatsoever. I'll have to test out the BF:BC2 beta.

what card do you have? 5970 here

Nice card! only the best for you eh! how high have you had the clocks on that baby. Ive got a lowly 5850 worked well up until now, like i was saying totally fresh install of WIN 7 Ultimate...didnt try 10.1's on the install though...frig...what OS are you running? lemme know how you make out!

well it was on a fresh WIN 7 x64 install, but i get crazy corruptionwith 10.2's... 10.1 worked fine with Win 7 RC1

Hmmm. RC1:confused: Was your 10.2 on a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 retail or also RC1? I'm wondering how many of the 10.2 issues are occuring on RC1 copies of win7 versus retail.

Vsync has been weird, but turning it off has actually given me fewer screen tears than expected, too.

Out of curiosity... What do you mean by weird? I ask because in Bioshock 2, when I turn Vsync off inside of the game and try to hit "Apply Settings", it just turns into a blank screen. Vsync didn't act like this with 10.1 or the 10.2 beta drivers posted prior to the actual 10.2 ones. It seemed weird to me too, but the game looks better and runs smoother with the new video drivers.

All these problems have me gun-shy about installing the 10.2's. Guess I'll wait a couple of days and see if a 10.2 "Hotfix" comes out! :rolleyes:

Out of curiosity... What do you mean by weird? I ask because in Bioshock 2, when I turn Vsync off inside of the game and try to hit "Apply Settings", it just turns into a blank screen. Vsync didn't act like this with 10.1 or the 10.2 beta drivers posted prior to the actual 10.2 ones. It seemed weird to me too, but the game looks better and runs smoother with the new video drivers.

That's one of the examples that came to mind :) You actually CAN turn it off by hitting ALT+ESC and then re-selecting the game. Once you do that, it'll be off and stay off.

For me, turning vsync on on my 5870 makes several of my games have a stutter when moving and looking with a mouse at the same time. With a couple (Half-Life 2, Far Cry 2), it stutters a bit while doing anything with a keyboard and mouse. Funny enough, when using a gamepad everything is as smooth as silk, though. Ditto for turning vysnc off.
All of that said - when I turn vysnc off, there's far less image tearing on my 5870 than any Nvidia card I've had. With all of those, I absolutely refuse to play with it off. With this card, I honestly don't mind it that much. It's there, but it's really mild and sometimes barely noticeable at all.

Last edited:
Nice card! only the best for you eh! how high have you had the clocks on that baby. Ive got a lowly 5850 worked well up until now, like i was saying totally fresh install of WIN 7 Ultimate...didnt try 10.1's on the install though...frig...what OS are you running? lemme know how you make out!

actually I have it at stock, I have no issues with any games I'm playing, plus heat + power, when I pay for electricity, that 100W matters :D

Just curious, but I received my new Sapphire Vapor-X 5870 Rev.2 yesterday. Can I simply install the 10.2 drivers or must I install 10.1/hotfix first?
I've yet to install the hardware.
Thanks!

For anyone having audio issues with the 10.2 drivers, try turning on Overdrive and bumping up your clock speeds (both GPU and Memory) a little.

That helped my issues with channel dropouts and distortion. I can open new windows and multi-task again! Although, if I minimize my audio player (Zune software) or play high bite rate (lossless) files, I still get channels switching and distortion when using multiple windows. It looks like Catalyst is downclocking the card too much and there's not enough juice left to handle playing the audio correctly. Oddly enough, this is the first time overclocking helped issues.

That's one of the examples that came to mind :) You actually CAN turn it off by hitting ALT+ESC and then re-selecting the game. Once you do that, it'll be off and stay off.

Thanks! I haven't had a chance to test too many games yet since I just did a clean reinstall of Win7 x64. I'll keep the Vsync issue in mind if I see some any other things pop up.

Last edited:
my computer will freeze before i can log in with the 10.2 drivers im going to switch back to 9.12 to see if it fixes it. (similar issue wit h10.1 but not as frequent)

I've been getting a fair amount of issues in Bioshock 2 since this release. I've gotten 2 crashes, several FOV re-sets, and weird issues with the title screen shifting too low.
That and the whole vsync black screen thing, too.
Not sure if it's the game or these drivers - but I hadn't experienced any of these specific issues beforehand.

10.2 drivers
2x5850
eyefinity
x64 W7

no problems... runs every game better then 9.12HF, which was the last set of drivers I ran.

Profiles work... est est... Very happy with 10.2 :D

Installed the 10.2's and waited for my computer to blow up but it didn't. 3DMark Vantage benchies stayed the same but otherwise no noticeable issues. Played Bioshock 2 for two hours with new drivers and no problems. Guess, I'm good to go.

i was getting green dots everywhere agaijn.. then found a hairball the size of a thumb in my psu fan lol

thank god for my dymo? air thingy from tiger direct

I Installed the 10.2's last night as well as a BIOS update for my XFX 5870. I have the XXX edition, but XFX says they dont have the BIOS for the clocks on that card quite yet. They sent me the BIOS for the standard one, which I flashed, and then manually set my clocks with the GPU clock tool.

My Eyefinity DP flicker is gone thank god, but I experienced my first GSOD if you will. It was more of an orangish screen crash on my far right monitor, while the other two were black.

I was running World of Warcraft on the center screen in windowed mode, and running WMP 11 with a video on the left. Right just had messenger apps open.:(

Win 7 x64 Ultimate Retail Fresh install....Went home last night and booted it up, same grey diagonal banding issue, unplugged the DVI cable and plugged it back in...boom a picture! kinda screwed up, like oversized and blurry...messed around trying to get it to scale properly, finally figured it out the refresh was set to 59 and i guess my screen can only do 60hz works fine now!

Last edited:
Love these on Vista HP x64 SP2. Tried Return to Ostagar and Dragon Age in general this morning. Very smooth.

Dirt 2 was fine for me with the previous drivers. Haven't tried it yet with these. I don't own MW2.

Is it too much to ask for that they fix the powerplay issues when running two monitors? Really annoying that I cannot overclock using CCC without my clock speeds going down to 157/300:mad:

10.3 beta's on a 5970 here.

...Eyefinity + Cross-stutter!

This is the same as 9.12 HF for me. Stutter all over the place and broken vsync in Cross-finity.

Dirt2 framerates are much higher now but the stutter is very noticeable in that game and can run you of the track if you oversteer during a big stutter. The loading screens are a joke. You practically have to take anti-emetics to prevent travel sickness as you stutter across the globe.

Luckily Source games run at a zillion frames per second, so at least you can disable Cat A.I. and run them on half your 5970 to get vsync back and have no stuttering.

Also WoW crashes with a fatal error when you try and switch to bezel corrected resolutions, for some odd reason.

If they can fix the stutter and get working vsync in Crossire+Eyefinity then they will have a winner but right now it's painful playing some games like this. You don't get stutter in Crossfire alone and you don't get stutter in Eyefinity alone so why when you combine the two is it so awful?

I found some problem with this driver.

If I minimize the game for too long, and turn it back on..

the game will freeze there, and I have to C-A-D in order to go back to desktop and force closing the game..

I have never encounter this problem before until I update my drivers..

so far I only play 2 game and have this problem badly and annoying.

one is Mass Effect 2, the other one is Titan Quest.

sometime when the Driver error shows up, I have to restart my PC in order to make the game load again...

I have almost the same problem with nVidia before, that stupid nVxxx.sys or dll problem that really turns me off. At least I am not receiving any BSOD, thats a good sign there...

Is it too much to ask for that they fix the powerplay issues when running two monitors? Really annoying that I cannot overclock using CCC without my clock speeds going down to 157/300:mad:

I was getting the same problem with my 3 monitors so I edited the profile XML file to change the idle 2D clocks to be the same as my 3d clocks. Weirdly, I only get this bug in Eyefinity mode, which I only use when I'm playing games that support it. Otherwise I leave my machine in extended desktop where I don't get the bug.

Back