Cat 11.7 Early Driver

Well I'm recently new to Amd gpu been NVIDIA for ever. They never released.drivers that often.

Well I'm recently new to Amd gpu been NVIDIA for ever. They never released.drivers that often.

yeah they started changing the way they release drivers during the 5k series. instead of once a month releases they are now doing beta release drivers which fix minor bug's and adding crossfire profiles for new games while they wait for the slow WHQL certification to come in so they can release a driver thats already a month old. Nvidia does the same thing with their drivers but AMD takes it a step further by releasing 2-3 beta drivers between WHQL certified drivers(sometimes even more) where as Nvidia releases their beta drivers which are typically identical to the same drivers they sent to microsoft to get the WHQL certification.

wow i think this fixed the flash lockup when using gpu acceleration as just for fun i tuned acceleration back on and my 6950 dint lock up and i picked up about 5mhs mining

For those who have a brain and can read between the lines. The entire Southern Islands instruction set is in this driver. ;)

Where is that a benefit? A serious question.

No benefit to general users, but to developers. Means that preliminary hardware is out and can be tested by third parties so they can check compatibility and make whatever adjustments they need to get the most out of the new architecture. They couldn't do this before since there was no driver support.

Last edited:
No benefit to general users, but to developers. Means that preliminary hardware is out and can be tested by third parties so they can check compatibility and make whatever adjustments they need to get the most out of the new architecture. They couldn't do this before sine there was no driver support.

And I'm assuming that this bodes well for the release of these new cards later this year also?

And I'm assuming that this bodes well for the release of these new cards later this year also?

That will entirely depend on TSMC's ability to ramp up production. But there have been hints that Q4 of this year is an optimistic time frame at best, with Q1 2012 being more and more likely. Here's a post from Anandtech linking to an interview with someone from AMD.

Borealis Via Anandtech said:
I just read something i thought i should share. I'ts an interview with Ruben Sorya, manager of AIB partner relations at AMD Canada (formerly CO at ATI) and he gave some points about AMD's next gen graphics cards.
summarized and translated from Hebrew:

1) "Next gen graphics is scheduled for release in Q1 2012, don't call it 'HD7000' because it may not be the final name."

2) "Next gen will release high-end first, with surprising new 'features'."

3) "AMD will get more involved with game developers as it was with Dirt3."

4) "Hybrid-Crossfire (or 'Dual Graphics' as i call it) will get a strong push with A series APUs."

5) "We have no intention on blocking Lucid Virtu, or anyone for that matter, in our drivers." (sounds like a jab to me ;) )

6) "AMD will continue to work with both GloFo and TSMC. as it seems right now, next gen Radeons will be produced at TSMC."

Source: (its in Hebrew) http://hwzone.co.il/articles/amd2011/2

we knew most of it still its better than not knowing anything at all...

With regards to having the instruction set. Devs can now start writing shaders for it and disassemble the compiled machine code the driver outputted to debug and optimize their engines/games for the new architecture.

That will entirely depend on TSMC's ability to ramp up production. But there have been hints that Q4 of this year is an optimistic time frame at best, with Q1 2012 being more and more likely. Here's a post from Anandtech linking to an interview with someone from AMD.
Nice.
Do you have a specific date when that interview took place? The latest concrete info I knew of was from Eric Demers himself mentioning products featuring the new architecture would be available in Q4 this year at the AFDS 2 weeks ago. I took that to mean a mid to late December launch similar to the HD6K series, but it's possible that has slipped by a few weeks. Then came those rumors about September being possible since things are going "extremely well", but I don't really buy those.

Ok. I have tested the 11.7 early drivers and I can see a moderate increase in performance (5%-10%) under DX11.
This is using a 6970 Crossfire setup at 2560*1600.

Nice.
Do you have a specific date when that interview took place? The latest concrete info I knew of was from Eric Demers himself mentioning products featuring the new architecture would be available in Q4 this year at the AFDS 2 weeks ago. I took that to mean a mid to late December launch similar to the HD6K series, but it's possible that has slipped by a few weeks. Then came those rumors about September being possible since things are going "extremely well", but I don't really buy those.

I don't read Hebrew and Chrome refused to translate the page for me, so I don't have a publishing date. I wouldn't doubt that AMD is targeting Q4 of this year in order to beat Nvidia again, but I haven't heard any good things about TSMC's 28nm process. Combine that with the fact that this a completely new direction for AMD(architecture wise), I expect it to slip a little.

11.7 no workey for me. BSOD followed by immediate lockups at boot screen. Had to go back to 11.5a.

I don't read Hebrew and Chrome refused to translate the page for me, so I don't have a publishing date.
It refers to the Fusion 11 development summit happening "last week" and that ended on June 16th. The interview appears to have been made during Fusion 11, which ran from June 13-16. The date it was published on is July 1, 2011 (today!).

It refers to the Fusion 11 development summit happening "last week" and that ended on June 16th. The interview appears to have been made during Fusion 11, which ran from June 13-16. The date it was published on is July 1, 2011 (today!).

Cool, thanks. I'm going to assume they do mean Q1 next year then. Not surprised since, as it's been said here, they are relying entirely on TSMC delivering the manufacturing process and we know their track record. Still, anything could happen between now and then.

You mean once a month? Same as they have been doing for a while... :D

Yes, but to release the July drivers on the first day of July is quite unusual for them. Their typically like Valve, waiting until the very latest time they can possibly release something within the allotted timeframe.

Yep Q1 2012 for the new cards is looking more and more likely... shame they won't be here before BF3.

Yes, but to release the July drivers on the first day of July is quite unusual for them. Their typically like Valve, waiting until the very latest time they can possibly release something within the allotted timeframe.

The premise behind Valve Time is that Valve doesn't hit their publicly stated deadlines at all, not that they release within the last possible moment within that given timeline.

Yep Q1 2012 for the new cards is looking more and more likely... shame they won't be here before BF3.

Not sure where you infer that from. With BF3, MW3, ACR, SR3, and the Crysis 2 DX11 patch now available, it would be very shocking if AMD didn't have new GPUs ready to go in time for November.

The premise behind Valve Time is that Valve doesn't hit their publicly stated deadlines at all, not that they release within the last possible moment within that given timeline.

Not sure where you infer that from. With BF3, MW3, ACR, SR3, and the Crysis 2 DX11 patch now available, it would be very shocking if AMD didn't have new GPUs ready to go in time for November.

Most rumors have been pointing to Q1 2012. AMD may be ready to go but the rollout all depends on TSMC, whether they will have 28nm production in full swing within the next few months. Given their track record with 40nm, I'd say a Q4 launch is very optimistic, but we'll see.

Also, http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037452989&postcount=12

Most rumors

I stopped reading right there. Tells me everything I need to know.

Get back to me if and when Q3 ends without any sort of at least semi-reliable word from AMD, leaks or otherwise.

Back