Cases with upward facing usb ports

Dunno7

n00b
I'm building a new system and I'm looking for a case to put it all in. I like how cases with upward facing usb ports look like. I like the clean look. However those upward facing usb ports bug me a bit. They're likely to damage cables from too much bending over time when you connect devices to them. Or not? Can anyone share his experience?

My rig:

MSI Gaming Z170A GAMING M3
Skylake Intel Core i5-6600K
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
ASUS DUAL-GTX1070-8G
500gb SSD samsung ssd 850 evo

Salvage from old PC I'm gonna use in the new build:

Power supply Corsair gs700
Western Digital WD Black 4 TB

I had an antec 900. The USB ports were on an angle. They were doomed. Replaced twice. Never worked for more than a month. My core v21 I have the ports on top but haven't used em

Cable bending is really not an issue with ports in any direction. The problem with upward facing ports is that they tend to collect crap (dust, dirt, lint, bird poo, etc). Not so much of a problem on front or side mounted ports. Yes, you can use those little rubber port cover things but that is just another layer of inconvenience, having to remove them to use the port, keeping track of them while the port is in use, having to remember to put them back in. Front or side mounted ports are, IMHO, a better solution.

I'm using two cases that have vertical USB ports (NZXT Phantom & NZXT H230) and i'm constantly plugging and unplugging USB thumb drives and external hard drives into them for over 4 years now and never had a problem with them.

I've had upward facing usb ports for the last decade or so. Never had any issues with them functioning, but they definitely are more prone to getting dust and whatnot inside.

Back