Case Selection

Thunder

Weaksauce
Hey, I am a noob, allready obvious. I am building my first computer and have everything but a case. Its a 3.2HT Pentium 4, Asus mobo, WD 120GB, Radeon 9100 128 (cheap I know), Lite-on DVD, Liteon CD-RW. At first I wanted to get a cheap case. But now I know I want something good. I cant deceide on one that looks good. I actually liked the Thermaltake, but after reading a thread on here everyone bashed it. So what do you think I should get? I dont game or anything, but I dont want to have to replace it in a few years. Thanks,
John

If you like the Thermaltake, get it. Better to have a case that you think looks good and everyone else doesn't than the other way around.

If you want a case that will last, stay away from no name or cheap companies. Check out these companies to get a solid case:

Kingwin
Lian-Li
Coolermaster
Thermaltake
Antec

Any case from those manufacturers will last you a long time :)

personally I will be getting the Kingwin....simple looking, and good quality, and a lot cheaper than the Lian-Li. It got the "kickass" review from MaximumPC magazine (Sept, 04 issue)

i think enermax makes some nice cases two.... mine came with a 350 watt psu (which i don't use because I had to buy a 520 watt 24 ping psu) a front lcd for internal computer temps and a side fan and a exhast fast with grills already and both light up blue. On top of that it came with covers for the cd rom and the a drive to make them look sleek and match the rest of the case which was a big +. Before this tho i've never spent over 30 bucks for a case even tho i got this one off newegg for 53 + shipping I am very happy with it.

Kingwin's KT-424 and CoolerMaster's Praetorian are two of the best looking and more functional aluminum cases in the $90-100 price range imo, Lian-Lis are nice as well but I just like the construction of the first two choices better, as well as the looks.

Antec's are decent as well but the P-160 and LanBoy both look somewhat gaudy imo. Thermaltake's Tsunamis are nice too, CM's WaveMaster is really nice looking and perfectly functional if you're not OC'ing (and don't mind or preffer the extra ports on the top panel).

It really comes down to price and features, Google up some reviews on the models I've mentioned, they're all aluminum cases with solid builds that'll last and look good depending on what appeals to ya.

I have a Thermaltake and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

My one bit of advice is that if you're big into taking crap apart don't get Thermaltake because it has no removable motherboard tray. Other than that, Thermaltake cases are great. The cooling in my Xaser III has never disappointed me.

I also have a Thermaltake, the midtower Skull. I love it. It's basically tooless, and has a removable motherboard tray. Standoffs are screwless also. And with a bit of work you can control all the wires inside the case and actually make it look pretty good. My main complaint was the big swing bar that runs across the entire window, but I took that out a bit ago, and made a fan bracket of sorts so that I don't lose that side intake. Go me :p

Thanks everyone. I would just like to know why everyone seemed to think its a horrible ugly case:
http://216.52.208.185/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-133-109&depa=1
I agree with all the other cases posted, but just dont see teh ugliness. And I dont plan on modding it. Like I said I am not a gamer, or anything, just run some websites, and do som graphic design, but want a nice computer. Thanks for input thus far....
And I know the blue is a little to much, I moght try it in a more subtle black.i dont like someof the Thermaltakes how they have like advertising all overthe front and checkers, thats not really my style....

Its really not a bad case at all. For the price ? you could get better. The reason people bash it around here is mainly because a lot of people around here will bash anything that isn't Coolermaster or Lian Li.

Go for what you want, read reviews then buy :)

Yea, and I think alot of the cases recommended are extremly plain, just because people maybe plan to mod them? I am from an automobile scene, and mostof my time (and money) goes to that, so I want something cool, but also functional and gonna last.

Impulse said:
CM's WaveMaster is really nice looking and perfectly functional if you're not OC'ing (and don't mind or preffer the extra ports on the top panel).

I think the Wavemaster comes with a fan mount that can be used to switch out with the port panel. Curious though, what about the Wavemaster makes it a poor choice for OC'ing?

PlaidJello said:
I think the Wavemaster comes with a fan mount that can be used to switch out with the port panel. Curious though, what about the Wavemaster makes it a poor choice for OC'ing?
It does come with a convenient mount to place a fan on the top panel. It's not necessarily a terrible case to OC with, and if you're WC'ing it's just fine; but it's air intake is pretty limited compared to other cases due to the small number and size of vents for this in the front (basically a series of holes behind the monolith decorative thingie).

You can always add a side blowhole or whatnot but something like the Praetorian will allow the stock intake fans a lot more breathing room obviously.

Back