• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Case on the ground...good idea?

DoomRulz

Gawd
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
512
This seemed like the best place for this thread :p

I'm considering a Lian Li V2000B for my new rig, which is a full-sized, server tower case. Due to its 'extreme' height, I'd have to put it on the ground. But I've got a friend of mine, who's helping me put my new rig together, hounding me, constantly telling me that putting my case on the ground is a bad idea.

His reasoning is dust build up and static electricity. I can understand the point behind dust accumulation, but I don't have a carpet in my basement(which is where my comp will be). Static electricity shouldn't be a problem for me :rolleyes:

Any ideas?
 
Ok, one more thing: the v2000 is a server case...something that big that's 100% aluminum must be pretty heavy...how much does it weigh empty? I know the v1000 is like 7.5 lbs. so I would imagine the v2000 must be around 10 lbs or so

That's not really heavy, but when components are thrown in...
 
The static electricity does not matter, the whole case is grounded through the PSU :rolleyes:

Dust is inevitable in a computer case. Having it on the ground will just increase how often you have to clean it. It is no big deal, just be sure temps don't get too high from dust. My brother's PC's fans actually grew beards from dust. His temps were around 60 at load. He had never cleaned it and it was on the ground. Got a few filters from www.svc.com and it has not been a problem since.
 
When I used to have my WaveMaster on the ground and the ceiling fan on full blast during the Summer seasons, my temps were down about 5ºC than when the case was on the desk. I guess it liked the nice cold rush of air from the fan. :)
 
basement? there are many different types of basements but most of them have a few issues

1) A great home for bugs.. if you don't mind the possibility of your rig getting fried by a spider or critter exploring in your box .

2) No basement is 100% immune from flooding. In some homes with sump pumps and french drains you rarely ever see flooding, but it can happen if the water table rises too high from a heavy rainfall..

So at the very least try to find something to bring the case a few feet off the ground and you can feel a little better about it :p
 
Techx said:
basement? there are many different types of basements but most of them have a few issues

1) A great home for bugs.. if you don't mind the possibility of your rig getting fried by a spider or critter exploring in your box .

2) No basement is 100% immune from flooding. In some homes with sump pumps and french drains you rarely ever see flooding, but it can happen if the water table rises too high from a heavy rainfall..

So at the very least try to find something to bring the case a few feet off the ground and you can feel a little better about it :p

Are you serious? Could a freak insect inside my case really fry a circuit or two??? :confused:
 
DoomRulz said:
Are you serious? Could a freak insect inside my case really fry a circuit or two??? :confused:


You never know. I had a rig catch fire (ok so the flame was about that of a matches flame) after a minute piece of plastic somehow wedged itself between my ram module and the ram socket and burnt up. :(
 
When I had UV/purple CCFLs in my Lian-Li PC-71, I had stink bugs or something that kept crawling inside. They were always dead when I saw them, so I don't know how they died. (I took the CCFLs and the window off because it's just way too dusty where my computer currently is, going to wait until I move my computer to put them back in, probably.)
 
I get mosquitoes in my case with my CCFL, but it has never caused a problem. They just end up dying.

Then again, remember where the term computer "bug" came from.
 
The only problem would be extra dust build up. I found that just putting your computer a couple of inches off of the floor prevent the extra build up. I just have mine on top of a 2X4 and no longer have dust problems.
 
Not a good idea if you have cats or dogs in the house. I have 3 dogs and my case gets so full of dog fur it's crazy.
 
NickN said:
Not a good idea if you have cats or dogs in the house. I have 3 dogs and my case gets so full of dog fur it's crazy.

ill second that dog hair really quick buildup, and as far as your friend hes just trying to help, but hey whos computer is it?exactly, for his sake you could do what he wants and when he leaves put it on the ground, but id say experiment see how it goes after a week or 2, id at the very least find something to bring it off the ground a little.

rig looks good, as far as the MCE 2005 have u done any research to see if there are any cons, pros vs. cons. no idea myself havent used.im more of a gamer.
 
dwilson041781 said:
ill second that dog hair really quick buildup, and as far as your friend hes just trying to help, but hey whos computer is it?exactly, for his sake you could do what he wants and when he leaves put it on the ground, but id say experiment see how it goes after a week or 2, id at the very least find something to bring it off the ground a little.

rig looks good, as far as the MCE 2005 have u done any research to see if there are any cons, pros vs. cons. no idea myself havent used.im more of a gamer.

lol no research, i currently use it ;) but one more thing...did ne one notice my 2nd post??

ne thoughts on how much this case could potentially weigh, before and after i put stuff in?
 
The V2000 is actually pretty light for it's size when empty (lighter than my smaller all steel old style Alienware case) thanks to its all aluminum construction... as for how heavy it is with a rig inside... that'll depend on what you have in it. Mine is a file server.. so I have a total of 6 hard drives in addition to all the regular stuff.. so it's pretty hefty.

Oh, and I've got mine on the ground in my bedroom, which has carpet. The V2000 comes with filters on the intake fans.. so it stays decently clean inside.
 
I have mine on the carpet. No issues so far. I do clean it so often, but it's always good to check your rig to make sure everything is in order.
 
F.E.A.R. said:
I have mine on the carpet. No issues so far. I do clean it so often, but it's always good to check your rig to make sure everything is in order.

because sometimes, when you arent looking, your computer will re-arrange itself inside
:p
 
Ha, Ha, good one.... No you never know if fans die on you depending how loud your rig is fans might wash each other out, bugs, water cooling leaks, if wire management is not very good you might have wiring too close to fans, etc.. Things might just shift if computers are moved often also. Get my drift now?

quietRiot said:
because sometimes, when you arent looking, your computer will re-arrange itself inside
:p
 
DoomRulz said:
Are you serious? Could a freak insect inside my case really fry a circuit or two??? :confused:

I had a snake slither INSIDE my circut breaker. It popped 2 circuts and evenly roasted the snake until it was tan and crispy.
 
:eek:

That is truly [H] :p

Someone had an idea of propping the computer up on a 2x4. It is a good idea, but building a custom base is better :D Just cut two planks or boards to the size of the footprint of your case, and space them about 6 inches apart using 2x4s or 2x2s so that the case is elevated. It should help cut back on dust, as previous posters have said.
 
DeadlyAura said:
I had a snake slither INSIDE my circut breaker. It popped 2 circuts and evenly roasted the snake until it was tan and crispy.

That's too good to be true :p
 
DeadlyAura said:
I had a snake slither INSIDE my circut breaker. It popped 2 circuts and evenly roasted the snake until it was tan and crispy.

This thread is worthless without pics
 
AMD[H]unter said:
This thread is worthless without pics

Dude, this was like 6 years ago. If I had a digital camera back then, I'm sure I would have used it. But I didn't. So... use your imagination! :D
 
For those of you with crappy imaginations, I have recreated the scene in state-of-the-art computer...recreation software.

 
spydermonkey said:
For those of you with crappy imaginations, I have recreated the scene in state-of-the-art computer...recreation software.


lol that is jks :p
 
Back
Top