Case from 2011 still good?

ChrisUlrich

Weaksauce
SilverStone Fortress Series FT02B-W

Can I still use this case to build a brand new gaming PC? Going to be using a LGA 1511 chipset, i7 9700K, Noctua NH-D15S heatsink, eVGA 2070 S, Corsair SF750 PSU

You think I will have an issue fitting everything into this case? At the time, it was a premier air cooling case. Kept my i5 2500K incredibly cool at 4.4ghz. Hoping this isn't completely outdated!

SilverStone Fortress Series FT02B-W

Can I still use this case to build a brand new gaming PC? Going to be using a LGA 1511 chipset, i7 9700K, Noctua NH-D15S heatsink, eVGA 2070 S, Corsair SF750 PSU

You think I will have an issue fitting everything into this case? At the time, it was a premier air cooling case. Kept my i5 2500K incredibly cool at 4.4ghz. Hoping this isn't completely outdated!
sure why not. only real down side is front usb is 2.0. and if you feel [H]ard, mod 3 or C into it.
edit: i guess some versions had usb 3...
edit2: and 12" max gpu

I suppose the USB 2.0 is annoying, but the 12" GPU size is fine. I want the GTX 3070 which is right around 10"

You think there are any newer cases that will completely out class this SilverStone is air cooling?

I suppose the USB 2.0 is annoying, but the 12" GPU size is fine. I want the GTX 3070 which is right around 10"

You think there are any newer cases that will completely out class this SilverStone is air cooling?
Probably a lot of newer case will. Might of been good for air cooling at it's time but looks pretty closed off. I have no experience with that case so can't really say. It should be plenty good for cooling still. You might want to reach out to Silverstone and see if they have any updated front panels you could buy for your case.

What would you recommend for a more modern and excellent air cooling case? I see a few but none of the reviews seem to agree with each other (Except for that $400 Cosmos case)

Sorry. The Thermaltake X71 is hugely popular.

looks aren’t that important. Just want an awesome cooling and roomy case

yeah, probably lots. after GN put pressure on a bunch of makers there are a lot of "air flow" cases now. look at the fractal and phantek lines.

That still looks perfectly reasonably, other than missing a few new features.

I suspect it will work fine.

sure why not. only real down side is front usb is 2.0. and if you feel [H]ard, mod 3 or C into it.
edit: i guess some versions had usb 3...
edit2: and 12" max gpu

The FT02 is an excellent case, you should use definitely use it. I own one that is still in use and the build quality on similar, newer cases is generally worse for the same money. Being completely honest here, I have bought several expensive cases over the years and the FT02 is better than them in most regards. The air cooling on the FT02 and the cheaper / downmarket version called the Raven (02?) are still about the best you can find. If you check out case reviews by GamersNexus you can still find either the FT02 or Raven in some of the air cooling charts.

Onto the other points, Silverstone made a USB 3.0 upgrade kit for the front panel of this case - I bought one years ago and it was a painless install. They later made a USB 3.1 front panel that worked out of the box but they replaced that kit about a year ago. Now Silvertone has this version - G11313530-RT (https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=868&area=en) with cables too short for some (most?) motherboards inside of the FT02, in that case you need the front panel upgrade and this card - ECU02-E (https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=918&area=en) to make sure the cables from the new front panel can reach their connections.

12" max GPU assumes power connectors on the bottom if I recall, I had no problem fitting several 1080ti or a 2080ti in the case though.

You can pull out the bottom fans and install a slim 360mm or standard 240 radiator there, though you'll have some limitations on the fan size if you still want a big GPU. A 120mm rad fits above the CPU as well if you want to do a CLC of some sort.

Anyway, hope this is helpful and good luck with the new build

Back