Case fans being choked.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by TaintedSquirrel, Jun 9, 2017.

1. TaintedSquirrel

TaintedSquirrel [H]ardness Supreme

I'm running a Define S with 3x140mm in the front.
    If I attach the dust filter OR the front panel, it cuts my airflow approx in half with each piece.

Are there any sort of long screws or a mounting bracket I can use to move the fans farther into the case by maybe 2 or 3 inches to clear up their intake?

[​IMG]

2. W.Feather

W.Feather [H]ardForum Junkie

How are you measuring your airflow? A filter should not cut your airflow in half

CaptNumbNutz and tunatime like this.
  3. TaintedSquirrel

My hand.

Here's what the filter looks like.

[​IMG]

4. Ocellaris

Ocellaris Ginger Ale, an alcoholic's best friend.

If the filter is that restrictive (which I doubt), spacing the fans isn't going to help.

Gasaraki_, tunatime and Brian_B like this.
  5. W.Feather

Exactly this.... If your fans lose half their effectiveness, and the hand is not the best way to determine flow....a filter (especially one like that) is not lowing the air intake.

Even by moving the fans off the filter , you wont eliminate any barriers, thus the total pressure buildup on the fan is the same, There are methods you could use...maybe the "Silencer" pads for the 120mm fans, with some standoffs would be able to accomplish what you are looking for in the aesthetics side, performance wise you would not see any difference.

6. TaintedSquirrel

The difference in airflow with and without the filter is drastic. So yes it's definitely restricting the fans unless its spirits from beyond the grave screwing with me.

Should I tape a piece of yarn to the top of the case to check it?

7. TaintedSquirrel

8. W.Feather

Id be most concerned with the filter off lack of airflow than anything.... You are going from partial airflow to little airflow....What fans are these?

9. Brian_B

Brian_B Gawd

Get some high static pressure fans.

Any fan is going to drop some from installing a filter. The question is, is the air flow adequate enough with the filter on?

If the fans are dropping that much from just a filter such that your not able to control temps in the case, they need to be replaced anyway.

10. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardness Supreme

solution = ditch the filter AND get better fans. fuck filters and learn to clean the case!

EVIL-SCOTSMAN, Wyodiver and Nebulous like this.
  11. TaintedSquirrel

They're GP-14's, Fractal's 140mm.

Yeah the thought has crossed my mind. Although I'd much rather just find a solution here, even if it means getting creative.

Definitely not an option, my house is a dust bowl.

tunatime likes this.
  12. pendragon1

fair enough. i just preferred cleaning more often over sacrificing airflow.
    just looked at the fan specs; what speed are you running them at? they are supposed to push 68cfm which isn't bad and your vid clip does not look like that much airflow. crank em up and see what happens. otherwise I think Brian is right, youll need high sp fans to pull through the filter.

13. Ocellaris

Ocellaris Ginger Ale, an alcoholic's best friend.

14. THUMPer

THUMPer Loves Chachi's Tiny Penis

That filter design is shit anyway. They restrict it with an aggressive filter, then add all those cross pieces further adding to the issue.

The fans need replaced, but honestly I don't know if that will help. I have some Gentle Typhoons, and while they help on some filters, they don't help a lot. They seem to be just right for my Lian Li case though.

15. TaintedSquirrel

They're running off molex, so full speed (~1000 RPM).
    Based on the noise I'm not sure I'll actually run them at full speed regardless.

16. pendragon1

yipes. maybe some SPs then.

edit: those vids are with the front panel off too, right?

17. doyll

doyll Gawd

Get better fans. I suspect those are the stock fans and the Dynamic GP-14 is only rated 0.71 mm H2O I suggest something like their new Venturi HP-14 PWM that has 1.94 mm H2O rating. Other fans like be quiet! Silent Wings 3, Thermalright TY-147A Sq and Phanteks PH-F140MP all have much better abiliy to overcome resistance and supply a good flow of air through filters and fancy vent grills. SP140 is way down my list.

As for spacing the fans into case away from front vents .. all you will do is improve case airblow, and lower case airflow. The front intakes have to bring cool air into case, not re-circulate air already in the case. In case you are intersted, here is a basic guide to case airflow and how to optimize it.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
    Armenius likes this.
  18. vergdm

vergdm n00bie

This is excellent, thank you.

Also OP, couple of JayzTwoCents videos that might help you pick the right fan/fan setup.

SvenBent and Krenum like this.
  19. pek

pek prairie dog

Maybe get your hand re-calibrated?

20. TaintedSquirrel

Read the rest of the thread.

I solved the problem by making my own dust filter out of dryer sheets. The fans move a lot of air but are extremely low pressure. The stock filter is like 1/3 solid plastic and doesn't provide enough airflow. Oddly, the PSU + bottom fan filter is much better, but it doesn't have magnets, so it can't be attached to the front panel.

Weird design choice by Fractal.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  21. KracknCorn

KracknCorn n00bie

Unless you're putting a radiator on the front, I wouldn't worry about low pressure. If you are, then high pressure fans are what you need.

22. doyll

doyll Gawd

The problem was not the filter framing strips. With no mesh it is probably >90% open area. The front cover venting has only a small fraction as much vent airflow area as the stock filter frame and filter. As I said before the problem is the fans Fractal Design supplies with the case. Even running at full speed they can only just barely overcome the resistance of case venting and filter.

23. TaintedSquirrel

Just ordered 3x NF-A14 FLX to replace these. Not sure how much of an improvement there will be but I figure it's a good investment.
    Was hoping to get Noctua's new fans, though.

24. doyll

doyll Gawd

NF-A14 FLX will work well.

25. Nephron

Nephron [H]ard|Gawd

26. TaintedSquirrel

idk if you're serious but using strings, ribbons, and ropes to measure airflow is pretty common in aerodynamics.

27. doyll

doyll Gawd

Not really use to measure airflow, but to check direction of flow. What was fan speed in those tests?
    Airflow will change dramatically with components in and sides side.

28. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

I heard that some case fans LIKE to be choked. But I wouldn't know anything about that.

ChoGGi, luke51087, Mav451 and 5 others like this.
  29. Pandur

Pandur Limp Gawd

I know you went away from the idea to use long screws to distance the fans into the case. But I would still like to point out that that would be a bad idea. Because if the front filter is as restrictive as you claim, adding spacers would just give room for the fans to suck air from around them instead. Meaning you're just recycling the air inside your case instead of pulling fresh air through the front filter. And it's better to have a lower flow of fresh air through a filter than just blowing the existing air inside your case around one more time.

Yes I am exaggerating, of course some fresh air will still be pulled into the case. The point is that spacers would be a bad idea to solve this problem.

SvenBent and Dayaks like this.
  30. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

31. TaintedSquirrel

After a week of waiting, Amazon recalled my order because of the hurricane *yawn*.

32. SvenBent

SvenBent [H]ard|Gawd

man i feel for you. Nobody is probably more hit bad stuff than you not getting your fan due to the hurricane...

TaintedSquirrel and Ocellaris like this.
  33. doyll

doyll Gawd

Yeah, lots of damage that will take month to rebuild. Lots of people suffering from Harvey and Irma .. and now Jose might be coming. Trap some of it's winds when it goes though and use that to cool your system for the next few years. :D

SvenBent and TaintedSquirrel like this.
  34. TaintedSquirrel

The eye went over my house. Was hoping to pass the time working on the PC until power comes back.

We also had some bottled water in the order, which thankfully did get here in a separate box.

35. CaptNumbNutz

CaptNumbNutz Bulls[H]it Master

Always use high static pressure fans for intakes. ALWAYS. High CFM does not necessarily mean it is high static pressure.

With exhaust fans you can use high CFM fans because you have nothing in front or behind the fan obstructing airflow. On intakes, there's a fan grill up front and computer hardware (e.g. heatsink, cables, drives, video card, computer frame, fan filters) near the fan. You need high static pressure fans to continually push/pull the air flow through obstructions instead of one that spins through it at the highest speeds.

Think of it like trying to haul a trailer with a sports car instead of a truck. With a clear road, a sports car (low pressure fan) can go fast. Put a load on it (fan filter) and suddenly it's slower than a truck meant to haul the load.

36. Gasaraki_

Gasaraki_ Limp Gawd

OP, don't listen to the haters in this thread. They think that the yarn was suppose to be horizontal to equal good airflow.

Filters do block airflow, I don't think new fans will make a big difference unless the new fans spin over 2000RPM. Those fans in the fractal case are decent fans. I would get faster spinning fans or leave the filter off for best airflow.

37. Mav451

Mav451 [H]ardness Supreme

Yeah I've tested the included Fractal fans in builds for friends/family. They're what you'd expect for included fans - not great.
    There are certain fans that actually scale very well at low RPMs - the Silent Wings 3 specifically (as doyll already mentioned), if silence is your priority.

[​IMG]

These are fairly new fans compared to my Phanteks, and being noise-focused, that's what they excel at. You can also compare it directly against the A14 FLX.
    I wouldn't mind picking some up if they were discounted to say $15, down from the usual $20...

38. TaintedSquirrel

Looking good.
    My PC being off for 4 days killed my mouse apparently, was a PITA posting this lmao.

[​IMG]

Mav451 likes this.
  39. TaintedSquirrel

What's more useful, the 3rd (bottom) front in-take or a 3rd fan on the D15?

Like this:

[​IMG]

40. pendragon1

hmm not sure aboot that. the extra bottom intake will feed the gpu(s) more fresh air. wouldn't be that hard to test.