• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Case Fan Fail

Sovereign

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 21, 2005
Messages
3,098
So I was looking to install a USB bracket in the back of my case (I have one slot left). I noticed my rear exhaust fan was not spinning. It's plugged into the motherboard, so it should spin. I tapped it with my thumb. It slowly, laboriously began to spin, at a much lower speed than it should have. I know from experience (playing with fans, really) that when you flick a computer fan (like this 120mm case fan) that it should spin easily. This one doesn't. And even when it's powered, it takes a while to spin up.

Is there anything I can do, or should I just go to NewEgg and buy a new fan?
 
Also, on a side note, if you are JUST getting a fan, I would stay away from newegg, because of shipping costs. I don't know where you live, but to have a fan (say a slipstream) shipped to me it cost almost the same as the fan it self.
 
CompUSA used to have some decent fans before it closed, I haven't looked at what they have since they re-opened but they still carry more of that stuff than Best Buy or Circuit City (RIP), dunno if they've re-opened in your area either tho. I remember buying a couple of fans and stuff like that (couple CoolerMaster NB coolers too) when they were closing and had everything on clearance, I knew I'd use 'em eventually and shipping's always a bitch to Puerto Rico.
 
The oil in the bearing probably aged and dried up, just rip open the bearing seal and drip in a few drops of WD40 or what ever.
 
Back
Top