Carmaggedon...

DeathPrincess

Fully [H]
Soo...Kickstarter might not be a "total scam" after all. :D First (well second after the community pass...) part of the Carmageddon kickstarter thing went live 40 minutes ago for those that gave enough monies.

You get the original game+splat pack. It's still downloading so I have no idea how it runs (its 320 whole mb!!! :eek:), but shall see (shall post screenshots). :D

If you didn't join in you can still get the game (it's the original title+expansion) from here for $9.99. It runs via dosbox (installation is starting).

Ok, so basically theres a load of options of how to play it. (All run fine in W7 64bits so that part is silly). All of these are "fullscreen" and work/look fine in 1080p lines of LCD. If you want to see them how they are ill make a "simulation"

Option one is default DOS mode.

7258br.png

640x480 yo. I know it isn't "fullsize" but fraps doesn't work in this mode, so I used the snipping tool...and kind of missed but it looks like ass and blah, you wont be playing this way. Also the AI behind rammed idle car which kick of messed up the positioning :D though I have a kill already)

Option two, is "hardware mode"

640x480 but, it looks like this one uses a glide (3dfx) wrapper or something (theres glide2x.dll in the folder). According to fraps capped at 30fps (doesn't "feel" like that however) OpenGL means proper screenshots!

23shw81.jpg

This is much "smoother" and stuff. In imaginary 1990s land i'm buying a Voodoo, and not just for the name.

But there's one more experimental "secret" mode (link to files might be a bad idea, so explanation with link to files).

It installs a giant "patch" (size of people back thens whole hard drives, and like 100 times the size of their yearly usenet use) which looks like it messes up and does nothing...
2w2fqc7.png

But works and adds the secret third "windows mode" Which is the win95 version, rather than dos to the options! Like this:
ixtuma.png

Heh, I've been playing this off an on for months, ever since the remake was announced :D

Runs great under dosbox with the 3dfx wrapper if you've got the system grunt to keep those frames up.

Here's a guide I posted a while back in case you've already got an old CD laying around somewhere.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038773360&postcount=63

EDIT: Oh, and you CAN run the 3DFX glide mode in your native resolution through the wrapper configuration. I'm guessing GOG defaulted to 640x480 for max performance/compatibility across different PC configs.

Last edited:
Back