Carmack Sorry About Performance Of Rage On PC

Carmack has always been about "graphics engines", though, so it's not a major surprise. The only difference is that, this time, he really didn't impress anyone with megatexturing, given the massive problems with LOD swapping in Rage.

I played it thru a few times; the most fun was pretty much ignoring the story and exploring.

It's a demo for the graphics/game engine, just like all the games they do.

Doom3 looked great, but the overall game sure as fuck didn't rate a movie, lol.

Quake 4 was "quake 3:team arena 2" , which sucked compared to Q3 standard, which was much more customizable. I have quite a few Q2 and Q3 skins, from games I've played.

Seems like UTsomething came out around the same time, and that was way better.

We have broadband now; we can't have custom skins anymore? Oh, yeah, consoles...

RAGE was worth the $10 it cost me. :)

DNF was the last game I will ever preorder, and I'm kinda ashamed to admit I bought it. It's lag is so bad it messes me up in other games to play it. :facepalm:

I'll be running a ~10 player Q2 lan game tomorrow; My personal favorite is 'Research Hangar' from the Ground zero mod.

We play that you get a 'give all' when you first come in, and again when you kill someone. It makes for 'lively' gameplay.

We were surprised to find that an invulnerability does not protect you from the gravity trap weapons in 'The Reckoning' mod. :)

How old is Q2 now? Not even UT2003 is that replayable, imho. although there's just something about the Redeemer... But Q2 has the nuke...

I miss weapons like that.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Or something along those lines.

I cannot wait for his next beige/brown masterpiece! Since its a doom title I assume we'll have some zombie crack whores shooting flaming fetuses from their crotches or something equally juvenile. It'll be tuned for the Xbox and appeal perfectly to the average Live player.

At least he's man enough to talk about and admit his mistakes.
To get the respect he once had back, he needs to follow through on this with DOOM 4.

I will forgive Carmack if Doom 4 comes out and was mainly coded for the PC FIRST as a base platform and he can carve the bitch up and downgrade it all he wants on crappy consoles. At least is apologized and admits moving away from a PC Base was a mistake.

But only whe Doom 4 comes out and it is all PC goodness, that I will forgive him and welcome him back into the Uber PC Gaming Continuim...

Until then, I'm with Kyle.

If he's really sorry, he'll do something to make amends. Until he does that, he can go fuck himself.

Let me start by saying I don't include Kyle in this rant. He just wants his money back, which is, to me, the most level-headed response to not liking a product and feeling it doesn't live up to its expectations. No, I'm not ass-kissing either. I just think Kyle's being more mature than anyone else on this.

Now for my rant. For most of the rest of the posters here... wow, all the Carmack hate? Id has made how many bad games to date so far?* Compare that to other gaming companies? He admits they made mistakes, admits the right mistakes, and that he intends to not do it again. How many other people do this? So the response here is to just trash the guy even harder. Seriously, WTF people. If that is the kind of attitude that gaming companies are getting from the average PC gamer anymore it's no wonder they're cashing in on the console market. Why market a product to people that will never be happy no matter what you try to do? Let's not appreciate what Carmack has done for gaming over the entire history of Id's existence. No, just keep ripping on him for one mistake and then insist he cater to our demands. What a bunch of freaking ingrates. I understand wanting quality and wanting to get the best out of PC gaming, but posts telling Carmack to go to hell and die and be sodomized... how about you all go code video games for a living. Can you do it better yourselves? No? Then quit your hating you bunch of petty whiners.

*Quake 4 doesn't count, Raven was largely responsible for that.

I can see Carmack saying something like this at Quakecon just to save face, because he knows 100% of everyone at quakecon is a PC gamer that he has forsaken for console profits.

Let me start by saying I don't include Kyle in this rant. He just wants his money back, which is, to me, the most level-headed response to not liking a product and feeling it doesn't live up to its expectations. No, I'm not ass-kissing either. I just think Kyle's being more mature than anyone else on this.

Now for my rant. For most of the rest of the posters here... wow, all the Carmack hate? Id has made how many bad games to date so far?* Compare that to other gaming companies? He admits they made mistakes, admits the right mistakes, and that he intends to not do it again. How many other people do this? So the response here is to just trash the guy even harder. Seriously, WTF people. If that is the kind of attitude that gaming companies are getting from the average PC gamer anymore it's no wonder they're cashing in on the console market. Why market a product to people that will never be happy no matter what you try to do? Let's not appreciate what Carmack has done for gaming over the entire history of Id's existence. No, just keep ripping on him for one mistake and then insist he cater to our demands. What a bunch of freaking ingrates. I understand wanting quality and wanting to get the best out of PC gaming, but posts telling Carmack to go to hell and die and be sodomized... how about you all go code video games for a living. Can you do it better yourselves? No? Then quit your hating you bunch of petty whiners.

*Quake 4 doesn't count, Raven was largely responsible for that.

I agree 100%. Carmack is showing a humility and honesty here that is RARE among game developers. It's the exact opposite of the PR BS we're fed by everyone else, and I for one respect him a great deal for owning up to his (and id's) real mistakes.

I'm assuming it was AMD cards that Rage didn't support correctly. I never had issues with my Geforce GTX 460, in fact it ran quite well. That still didn't stop me from quitting shortly after I got to that first? town and they asked me to do a bunch of boring fedex quests to find out about a story-line that I couldn't care less about.

In summary Graphics A-, Gameplay C, Story F. I have never played a game that has so reminded me of another that I have just quit it and gone back to play that other game. This game did that x2 Fallout 3 is much better and so was Borderlands.

Sorry my game came out after borderlands and brink making the tech mad max setting look totally ripped off.

I wonder if id has been re-writing Doom 4 after the massive failure that was Rage. I clearly remember Carmack saying Doom 4 wouldn't take as long as Rage did and it's already been over 4 years since the game was announced.

id is kinda like Guns N' Roses with some all-time classic hits decades ago but all they can manage now is Chinese Democracy.

i dont understand why people still talk about this guy.

tim sweeney has proven himself to be a everything that carmack is, only better.

Sorry Mr Carmack but allow me to say what I never thought I was going to have to say to you and Id... Fuck YOU.

Rage was a huge disappointment and showed us everywhere that you are no longer the engine designer you once use to be. I don't know if its because of how long you've been in the industry or you being distracted with other "interests" but the quality of Rage was beyond sub-par , it was downright embarrassing. You released a beta game with that was broke from the moment it booted it. Your "Megatexture" design was hyperbole the likes of which I expect from Activision or EA , not a Id. I spent over a week and half attempting to get my $60 copy of Rage working and ended up giving up on it altogether. Even if I ignore the horribly distracting and unacceptable engine pop up and crashing the game on its own was a vapid , hollow world with characters that felt so "robotic" and useless.

I also haven't forgotten what you said in interviews blaming drivers and calling out PC gamers and generally attempting to shift blame anywhere you or Id could. For the first time I watched Id perform the kind of nonsense that Activision , EA or Ubisoft does with a poor launch of a game. Reading further on you said the game was programmed with consoles in mind first and PC second yet weeks before launch you claimed the opposite. These kinds of tactics I expect of lesser developers , not of the developer that helped create the FPS genre.

John , you can keep Doom 4 because I won't be buying another Id game. For whatever reason , you and many other developers/publishers in the industry have decided to make gamers the target of your ire. There was a time were games actually were held back until the vast majority of bugs (at least all the critical kind) were taken care of so that only a very small percentage of PC gamers had to deal with them and that with a couple of patches the issues could be resolved. Instead you've joined a long list of companies that couldn't care less and just desperately want product moving out the door and damned be the consequences. So you go a head and release Doom 4 but know that you've lost a fan and his respect , Id use to be a name associated with high end AAA titles , now of more recent times it will be remembered with disappointment and caution.

Too little to late Mr Carmack.

Sorry Mr Carmack but allow me to say what I never thought I was going to have to say to you and Id... Fuck YOU.

I want pics of you burning your old Doom, Wolfenstein, and Commander Keen disks, and any other Id-related items you possess. If you're going to hate on Id this badly over one freaking game then step up and prove it's not just words. Oh, and personally I hope Doom 4 is the best game ever made and that you never get to play it, just to spite your piss-poor attitude.

While we're at it, how about saying it to Carmack's face at Quakecon instead of posting here on a message board he's probably never going to read?

I'm currently playing Rage. I think it's a solid shooter, but what totally breaks it for me is that annoying constant texture pop-in. It totally ruins the immersion. It's just too annoying to ignore. I'm scanning for targets, and that stupid texture pop-in just makes me want to scream.

I agree 100%. Carmack is showing a humility and honesty here that is RARE among game developers. It's the exact opposite of the PR BS we're fed by everyone else, and I for one respect him a great deal for owning up to his (and id's) real mistakes.

Sorry, but I gotta strongly disagree. I don't hate Rage, and I'm not angry that he apologized but at this point it just sounds like pandering when you also consider the number of excuses he threw out when Rage was released. Basically he said:

-It was the drivers' fault
-It was AMD's fault
-Said "PC is not the leading development platform" anymore

Then, he comes out and says that the PC version was "poorly handled" and it was "inexcusable" to release it as it was.

Really, John? Do you know what the word "inexcusable" means? Means there is no excuse. Yet you did not hesitate to throw out several of them back at release. And now you are telling us that the lingering issues are not going to get fixed because you moved on to another project. Hmm. Okay, that doesn't really make me feel like you stand behind your products anymore.

I'm still looking forward to Doom 4 but I will NEVER buy an id Software game on day 1 for full price.

Back