Card Sag?

CousinVin

Limp Gawd
Does anyone else get some sag in their system from the weight of cards these days? I just put a 7950 in and I can't tell if its the cooler playing tricks on my eyes or if its off level. Ill put pics up later.

that's why i like black plates on my cards makes them much more solid

I haven't had a nice system like this before. First timer! That's why im curious. If its helps at all its a sapphire OC edition

cards will not sag under cooker weight.

this is what you do for a tower case

lay system on side
insert card
line card up and screw down back plate to case
route and zip tie additional power cable leads
return system to proper position

Newegg sells a thing called a powerjack link

I've got a new one in my fs thread.. :)

6817112359_c18f4ceb61_z.jpg

Last edited:
yeah, some cards will sag because manufacturers are getting cheaper and not including backplates.

I'll probably pull it tomorrow and try to straighten it out. If it doesn't work I'm not going to worry too much.

Sounds like Sapphire. Based on what friends cards have done. If you are running just 1 i wouldn't really worry. Ive seen a company selling a wire you attach to the card to hold it up.

Sadly the PC expansion card form factor was never designed for the way it is being used today. Having connectors on two adjacent edges rather than two opposite edges makes cooling a nightmare (hence the leafblower style coolers) and the lack of any support on two adjacent sides of the card leads to sagging of heavy cards..

Even if it does sag, so long as the contacts are hitting the receiving end properly, I dont think it would affect anything. 2c

Sadly the PC expansion card form factor was never designed for the way it is being used today. Having connectors on two adjacent edges rather than two opposite edges makes cooling a nightmare (hence the leafblower style coolers) and the lack of any support on two adjacent sides of the card leads to sagging of heavy cards..

It's a solid design but with towers having the slots horizontal vs vertaical for a typical desktop it makes it a challenge to keep heavy cards straight but none the less they should not sag if they are made right.. I remember cases having slots on both ends to support a "full lenght" card......

The 6970 Lightnings were bad at this as well. With some of them depending on case the temps would even be 15c hotter because of it. Once you lifted them up they would go back down in temp.

Get a powerjack. My friend has a DC2 and the thing actually tilts downward even with a backplate.

The HIS 7970 reference models include a "weight lifter" thing which fixes this problem.

Back