Car Tech Edition

HardOCP News

[H] News
Today's Car Tech Edition asks "why can't automakers get Bluetooth to work?" The answer isn't as simple as it might seem. An Apple car doesn't seem to be the answer either, even though more people are buying cars based on the tech inside them.

I've been really happy with the Ford/Microsoft SYNC tech in their vehicles. I think their implementation is better than many vehicles that are higher-end.

Bluetooth? I'm surprised most people behind the wheel can even figure out how to turn on the AC.

Why doesn't bluetooth work from my pocket to my headset? When I say it doesn't work, I mean it skips frequently in all headsets I have owned and all phones I have tried to use it on.

The BT in my 2009 Ford Escape has paired my phone and voice dialed it. I just followed the instructions off the Ford Sync website. It also paired with my friend's iPod when we were making the 18 hour drive to Dragoncon. He had his music when he drove and I had my mp3s on a flash drive when I drove. The other friend just used his CD collection.

What folks should worry about is if the car makers can't get BT to work, what else isn't working reliably?

I've never had issues with Bluetooth in my Mini cooper so log as my phone is on a stock Rom or CM based Rom. It will constantly keep reconnecting on my any custom one.

Unfortunately, Bluetooth is an awesome technology in an overcrowded 2.x Ghz spectrum. It will never be "perfect" simply because the spectrum is so overcrowded.

As for auto manufacturer's, I wish they would stop installing proprietary/crappy stereos in their vehicles. OEM stereos are nothing more than remarked chinese junk. That's why they suck! Even the premium "Bose", "JBL" and "Infinity" stuff are overpriced junk (although slightly better). Furthermore, because everything is "integrated" through the stereo system (turn signals, on-star, voice assist, steering wheel controls, door chimes, etc.), it requires a plethora of expensive/proprietary adapters to make the vehicle (barely) work with the aftermarket stereo. Why isn't there a standard for these things?

I don't know isn't Bluetooth a regulated standard?
The article talks about being unable to test so many different head sets (I am sure that is true), but is the standard properly implemented to begin with? is the phone at fault of the car stereo manufacturer. You mean to tell me, both can be properly implemented be of the same generation of bluetooth, and yet not work?
For my car with 3 different phones, it doesn't work right.. phone calls are ok, but BT music was not (for 2 of them), and turn by turn audio from the navigation in the phone has never worked on any phone. I assume is the head unit at this point
The second article is a bit BSish to me, just take the old head unit, place a new 1-2k one and there you advanced your car 10 years, and have a solution probably better than most OEM junk out there.
Yeah, you can pay someone to have the head unit replaced don't have to DIY.
Its not biggie, cars are not this magic technology pod now, its the head units basically.

I've been really happy with the Ford/Microsoft SYNC tech in their vehicles. I think their implementation is better than many vehicles that are higher-end.
I just wish I didn't have to say "Bluetooth Audio" for it to turn on. It should remember that's what I was listening to when I got out.

Also, Android users - if Cisco Jabber is running on your phone, it messes with Bluetooth to my Ford.

Unfortunately, Bluetooth is an awesome technology in an overcrowded 2.x Ghz spectrum. It will never be "perfect" simply because the spectrum is so overcrowded.

As for auto manufacturer's, I wish they would stop installing proprietary/crappy stereos in their vehicles. OEM stereos are nothing more than remarked chinese junk. That's why they suck! Even the premium "Bose", "JBL" and "Infinity" stuff are overpriced junk (although slightly better). Furthermore, because everything is "integrated" through the stereo system (turn signals, on-star, voice assist, steering wheel controls, door chimes, etc.), it requires a plethora of expensive/proprietary adapters to make the vehicle (barely) work with the aftermarket stereo. Why isn't there a standard for these things?

If you say so. As someone above mentioned the Ford with microsoft sync works EXTREMELY well. Its able to understand me clearly even with a very loud exhaust (off-road, not street legal) with very little misinterpretations.

I didn't realize this was a problem.

Bluetooth - after pairing - has always just worked for me in every car I have owned that was equipped with it.

Currently a 2009 Volvo S80. Prior to that a 2011 Saab 9-5, and prior to that a 2004 Saab 9-5 with an aftermarket Pioneer double din head unit.

None of these have supported playing music over bluetooth though. Just phone conversations.

Are some vehicles/phones better than others in this regard?

Zarathustra[H];1041451012 said:
I didn't realize this was a problem.

Bluetooth - after pairing - has always just worked for me in every car I have owned that was equipped with it.

Currently a 2009 Volvo S80. Prior to that a 2011 Saab 9-5, and prior to that a 2004 Saab 9-5 with an aftermarket Pioneer double din head unit.

None of these have supported playing music over bluetooth though. Just phone conversations.

Are some vehicles/phones better than others in this regard?

Bluetooth requires a fair amount of software to support it and all its functions. Not to mention different versions of it so yeah there are definitely quality difference between implementations

I am on my third Ford Fusion, 2010, 2013 now 2015. They keep getting better and blue tooth connection was never a problem. My complaint has been with he GPS, the 2010 was OK but the 2013?. Sometimes it wanted you to go down one way streets. Diving up 80 towards Sacramento (in Alameda County) it wanted you to turn right off an elevated highway. I can't comment on the 2015 yet, locally it has been OK.

My wife has a 2015 Honda CRV EX and the phone pairing/Pandora work flawlessly. The text messages very rarely show on the screen and that's with her Samsung S5 which seems strange to me that it sometimes works.

Simple solution. Rip the factory stuff out and replace it with aftermarket.

This is yet another reason I refuse to buy a vehicle without the ability to replace the in-dash unit.

There are different levels and services that are used. I think Bluetooth calling and music (audio) are simple, it's the added on other things that are hard. Probably from a lack of protocol standard or rigid following of them.

I have a 2015 car and at first it use to read my texts just fine, now it no longer does so and the option is even missing. I'm not sure if it's the fault of an Android upgrade from 4.2 to 4.4.4. Another thing I noticed is that the system is supposed to count up the time on music playing, my phone doesn't do this correctly but an Iphone did. Not to mention that song information isn't sent unless the play has been in the foreground when triggered.

I think actually the handset maker is to blame, not the audio industry. I do think the auto mfg isn't willing to spend much on power or sophistication. I don't think there should be much for them to test as long as there are good and strict specifications to work towards.

I don't really have a deep understanding of the technology and profiles at use here but it seems as though the failure isn't just in the auto industry.

Sync works fantastic in my MKZ. sit down, play music, steering wheel mounted controls operate phone, get call, answer, step out of my car at gas station, continue conversation on phone, go back in car, resumes in Bluetooth...

Not sure what more I could ask for...

There used to be a standard back in the 80s. That's when people would break into your car causing hundreds of dollars of damage to steal your stereo and then sell it for $20 worth of drugs.

If you say so. As someone above mentioned the Ford with microsoft sync works EXTREMELY well. Its able to understand me clearly even with a very loud exhaust (off-road, not street legal) with very little misinterpretations.

It works fine unless you want to upgrade your audio to sound better, or the headset dies out of warranty. Then, all that cool Sync crap becomes a huge burden when you try to integrate it with an aftermarket headset. You can always purchase a used/new replacement from eBay, but then you need to have it installed and programmed by the dealer and it costs 3x as much as a typical headset.

The last vehicle I purchased was ordered specifically with a basic stereo (steering wheel controls only). I saved $2600 over the "package" model with upgraded audio and leather interior. I added ~$800 in NICE custom leather upholstery and ~$800 in aftermarket audio and it blows away the stock audio without a doubt.

There used to be a standard back in the 80s. That's when people would break into your car causing hundreds of dollars of damage to steal your stereo and then sell it for $20 worth of drugs.

But that goes for everything. I had someone do $1300 worth of damage to my vehicle to steal a empty motherboard box.

It works fine unless you want to upgrade your audio to sound better, or the headset dies out of warranty. Then, all that cool Sync crap becomes a huge burden when you try to integrate it with an aftermarket headset. You can always purchase a used/new replacement from eBay, but then you need to have it installed and programmed by the dealer and it costs 3x as much as a typical headset.

The last vehicle I purchased was ordered specifically with a basic stereo (steering wheel controls only). I saved $2600 over the "package" model with upgraded audio and leather interior. I added ~$800 in NICE custom leather upholstery and ~$800 in aftermarket audio and it blows away the stock audio without a doubt.

Fair point, Aftermarket never plays nicely with systems like this. Then again my Mustang is a 2014 so i havent quite had to deal with a failed head unit with sync yet :p

Sometimes technology can be really beneficial to ours lives. It can integrate very well and have a beauty of its own. Sometimes technology exists just for the sake of technology. This is the latter situation.

Sometimes technology can be really beneficial to ours lives. It can integrate very well and have a beauty of its own. Sometimes technology exists just for the sake of technology. This is the latter situation.

your right, not having to look at a phone to dial or answer a call has no safety implications at all

Ford Sync connect to my iPhone 6 probably 19/20 times for me when I hop in the car. Can't really complain past that, when it fails it takes like 5 seconds to fix anyway, I just hit the Phone button on the stereo and it connects.

I've been very happy with the My Ford Touch and Sync in my car. That said, it took a while to improve.

My first car with Bluetooth was a 2012 Ford Focus with My Touch and Sync. It worked pretty well, most of the time. But, every now and then It would just not reconnect with my phone. Notably after the phone got a patch. This happened on both an Android and Windows phone. I drove that car for and a half years before replacing it this past November.

Now I drive a 2015 Mustang with Touch and Sync. I haven't had a connection problem with it at all.

Neither ever gave me a problem with the phone book, which syncs from the phone. The Voice Control has worked fine as well. I never have to fight with it to make a call. I simply tell the car to call who I want and it does so.

I don't stream much from my phone. A couple times a week at most. Typically an Audiobook with Audible. The only time I have had issues there were typically with the Audible App itself and it's not usually an issue.

While the car can support Texting if the phone supports it, my phone just uses the existing Bluetooth connection and reads me any new text and reply via voice. This is all handled through the phone though. It will do this with any Bluetooth connected speaker/mic set up.

Like I mentioned, I don't use the phone to stream much. I usually am listening to a local station during commutes for news and traffic. The car has 2 USB ports. I have two 32GB low profile USB flash drives plugged in. One with a few hundred of my favorite songs as a playlist. The other with all of my MP3s.

Over all, I'm quite happy with it.

Course you could just do what I did and stick a stereo in the car that has everything like bluetooth. In fact mine has Android 4.0 as well. Take that Apple.

I've been very happy with the My Ford Touch and Sync in my car. That said, it took a while to improve.

My first car with Bluetooth was a 2012 Ford Focus with My Touch and Sync. It worked pretty well, most of the time. But, every now and then It would just not reconnect with my phone. Notably after the phone got a patch. This happened on both an Android and Windows phone. I drove that car for and a half years before replacing it this past November.

Now I drive a 2015 Mustang with Touch and Sync. I haven't had a connection problem with it at all.

Neither ever gave me a problem with the phone book, which syncs from the phone. The Voice Control has worked fine as well. I never have to fight with it to make a call. I simply tell the car to call who I want and it does so.

I don't stream much from my phone. A couple times a week at most. Typically an Audiobook with Audible. The only time I have had issues there were typically with the Audible App itself and it's not usually an issue.

While the car can support Texting if the phone supports it, my phone just uses the existing Bluetooth connection and reads me any new text and reply via voice. This is all handled through the phone though. It will do this with any Bluetooth connected speaker/mic set up.

Like I mentioned, I don't use the phone to stream much. I usually am listening to a local station during commutes for news and traffic. The car has 2 USB ports. I have two 32GB low profile USB flash drives plugged in. One with a few hundred of my favorite songs as a playlist. The other with all of my MP3s.

Over all, I'm quite happy with it.

2015 mustang? why would you do that to yourself :confused: sooo ugly, i do want the IRS though

Course you could just do what I did and stick a stereo in the car that has everything like bluetooth. In fact mine has Android 4.0 as well. Take that Apple.

Replacing stereo in a lot of new cars is damn near impossible.

Replacing stereo in a lot of new cars is damn near impossible.

Yeah, sometimes they have DIN or double DIN adapters, but a lot of the time the systems are fully integrated into the car and they don't even bother.

On my Volvo S80 it would be impossible for obvious reasons :p

console_IM.jpg

Zarathustra[H];1041451550 said:
Yeah, sometimes they have DIN or double DIN adapters, but a lot of the time the systems are fully integrated into the car and they don't even bother.

On my Volvo S80 it would be impossible for obvious reasons :p

console_IM.jpg

dang, they did that just to make sure you didnt mess with it :p

I just wish I didn't have to say "Bluetooth Audio" for it to turn on. It should remember that's what I was listening to when I got out.

Also, Android users - if Cisco Jabber is running on your phone, it messes with Bluetooth to my Ford.

For Cisco Jabber, ask why Cisco layoff the entire Team/Department in HQ that created and worked on it. Leave it for oversea developer who have absolutely no clue about engineering. :mad:

Zarathustra[H];1041451698 said:
Oh, I thought it was so I could have a place to store my man purse :p

That looks too little for a man purse. Maybe a man clutch.

Sync works fantastic in my MKZ. sit down, play music, steering wheel mounted controls operate phone, get call, answer, step out of my car at gas station, continue conversation on phone, go back in car, resumes in Bluetooth...

Not sure what more I could ask for...

I have a 2014 MKX and it works perfectly for me as well. I even get Text messages read to me while driving and can send them out when not moving. It also works when my wife uses her phone when she is driving it. Music works very well over Bluetooth too. I don't ever want another vehicle that doesn't have this type of system in it.

Don't understand this either. I have a 2014 Silverado, my wife drives a 2014 Impala. BT works flawlessly in both vehicles and I have a windows phone, my wife an android. My boss has a 2014 Mustang and says his is a POS though...but knowing him he probably has it all kinds of messed up.

My wife has a 2015 Honda CRV EX and the phone pairing/Pandora work flawlessly. The text messages very rarely show on the screen and that's with her Samsung S5 which seems strange to me that it sometimes works.

Yup, I have a 2015 Fit and the Bluetooth works flawlessly on my + gf's S4. Stream Google Music, audio driving instructions, accepting/making calls, and reads texts. It's a good thing I waited to get a car as long as I did, because most makers have worked-out the major bugs :D

Back