Car Painted With Heat Sensitive Paint

Either TROLLED or this guy knows nothing about badass cars. The paint job on the other hand while not a color I'd go with the effect is cool!

I think the guy uglied up what would otherwise be a very nice looking car. If I bought one I would never do that to it.

I wonder how long the paint lasts and retains it color changing properties. Especially if it's out in the sun all day.

I also wonder about that. UV light is good at destroying pigments and dyes.

If only there was an invention besides a water bottle with which to apply a liquid to a car. Hmm.

So cool, I've always wanted to look like I've driven through an oil spill.

Wonder what the car would look like when you drive it, as the engine (and as a result the hood) would get much hotter than the rest of it. Will it turn that dark brown color? might have a neat effect since it would be more symmetrical on the car than dumping a bottle of water.

Cool paint, would never put it on my car though, looks like crap. After 5 minutes when the "ooooh, ahhhh" factor wears off, you're left with a crappy looking paint job.

Did you just call a Nissan Skyline GT-R a "high school tuner kid car"?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d2/GT-RLMKeepTheDream.jpg is such a tuner ar :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I'd say painting a car with orange heat sensitive paint is a pretty rice-y thing to do, regardless of what the car is :p

The image you posted is of a "race car", not a "rice car". Different things that can sometimes be based on the same base vehicle.

^ this. A paint that changes to white when it's hot, and black when it's cold. Energy savings. Could be used for roofs on steel buildings as well.

I've been teaching myself how to paint cars. I even painted my own truck this past summer. I posted the whole build thread on s10forum. I really like the idea. It looks like they have pigments that shift color at different temps. Would be neat on a custom computer case. As for cost? It depends on a few factors. Most of it is the inital base coat color. Reds are more expensive then other colors. Assuming you have a small car, a gallon should be enough for full coverage. If you used Nason Sealer, and Base, but Chroma clear on top, using the black to clear color pigment, I would budget about 1200$ for a simple easy color change. Thats just materials. A shop is going to charge 4500 - 5000, for a full repaint and color change.

I plan to mess with this on a spare computer case in a few weeks. I already ordered the black to clear color shift pigment. I have left over paint from my truck. So the case will be black, but as it heats up, it will in theroy, turn a dark metiallic cranberry.

I'd say painting a car with orange heat sensitive paint is a pretty rice-y thing to do, regardless of what the car is :p

I really think the whole "omg that's rice" thing has taken hold of too many people in the states (And yes I'm an American saying that). I've seen people call an stock R34 Skyline a ricer.... Same with an STi, and so on. Hell, the people that love bashing Honda's yelling ricer will call a 1,000 hp tuned civic a ricer, regardless it's performance and cosmetics that attribute to the performance.

Makes me sad :/

I really think the whole "omg that's rice" thing has taken hold of too many people in the states (And yes I'm an American saying that). I've seen people call an stock R34 Skyline a ricer.... Same with an STi, and so on. Hell, the people that love bashing Honda's yelling ricer will call a 1,000 hp tuned civic a ricer, regardless it's performance and cosmetics that attribute to the performance.

I wouldn't call a Skyline a ricer, but cars like Honda Civics and Dodge Neons are typically riced. You're taking a cheap economy car that has 0 performance capabilities, and dump more money then the cars worth to get something barely capable of competing against a Honda S2000 or a Dodge Challenger.

Most of the modifications wouldn't be so bad if it was for pure performance, but it's mostly cosmetic. Where I live there's cars painted black on the hood and bumpers. At first I thought it was a cheap repair they did that turned ugly, but it's not. They're trying to convince people that flat black paint is carbon fiber. Loud annoying mufflers that they think is performance upgrades.

I'm not one for throwing around the "rice" term, but I don't really have an issue with people using it to refer to vehicles that have non-performance and/or mismatched modifications, like silly looking paint or overpowered FWD cars.

If only there was an invention besides a water bottle with which to apply a liquid to a car. Hmm.

I'm guessing it has to be warm/hot water, which frankly makes this useless because rain is likely not going to be that warm. I guess it will change colors in different ambient temps, though?

Cool effect on the paint... but that has got to be one of the rice-iest looking high school tuner kid cars I've ever seen...

Illegal blacked out lights... check...

Gay painted interior trim... check...

Fugly gauge pods.. check

Lowered suspension w/ugly rims... check...

Poor car looks hideous

Jealousy post....check
It isn't your vehicle to decide how it should look.

Jealousy post....check
It isn't your vehicle to decide how it should look.
I don't presume to know how anyone else's car should look, it's up to them, but if you want to make a clown car, don't be surprised when people call it a clown car :p

Where I live there's cars painted black on the hood and bumpers. At first I thought it was a cheap repair they did that turned ugly, but it's not. They're trying to convince people that flat black paint is carbon fiber.

The black paint absorbs heat; heat rises, therefore making the car lighter: better power-to-weight ratio :D

I looked into getting a nice carbon fiber hood to replace my dinged up aluminum hood, and was surprised to find out that the majority of CF hoods were actually heavier.

I looked into getting a nice carbon fiber hood to replace my dinged up aluminum hood, and was surprised to find out that the majority of CF hoods were actually heavier.

Aluminium has a pretty good strength to weight ratio, especially the better grades, there's a reason planes are made from it. The good thing about CF is it has a high stiffness to weight ratio, so if you don't care about it being easy to snap (because it's not load bearing) or your design criteria is stiffness, you can make it super light. Just make sure no one sits on your hood because it'll collapse :p

Reminds me of those T-shirts all the 90s hipsters wore. :/

Man, I forgot all about those.. use to have a few myself back in the day (was just a dorky kid at the time, and not a hipster).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercolor

tumblr_ltzpd3i7JK1qb3mmfo1_400.jpg

Back