Capcom Pledges Its Support to PC as a Platform

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Are more Capcom games for the PC on the way? That’s likely, as COO Haruhiro Tsujimoto has told investors the platform is now a focus for the company. “From the viewpoint of promoting digital strategy, expansion of PC platform spread cannot be overlooked. The sales ratio of the PC versions in our main titles has been improving every year, and we will strive to further expand sales as an important platform.” Capcom called the PC “a huge opportunity” back in 2009, and things appear to be paying off based on recent hits such as Resident Evil 2.

The driving force behind this mindset is certainly Monster Hunter: World, which absolutely lit up the Steam charts last fall, leading Capcom to call it "a phenomenal success." That's not the sole factor, though. Resident Evil 2, Mega Man 11, Ominusha Warlords, Resident Evil 7 -- all major Capcom games that evidently did well on PC. We're already seeing some of this PC strategy in action. Devil May Cry 5 -- a headliner game by any metric -- releases next week, and the PC version will be available at launch.

RE7 and RE2HD are both amazing titles. I'm glad PC is a focus, and look forward to seeing what they bring out next.

Ever since the infamous original version of RE4 on PC all those years ago, Capcom has been improving their efforts on PC. They were also pretty much the first big Japanese dev to support PC, if I'm not mistaken. They've had a lot of solid PC ports of games over the last several years or so. [H] still using Lost Planet in their CPU tests cuz of its 8-core scaling, and that game is old as fuck. Almost everything Capcom has ported to PC since then has been good. Some slip-ups here and there, but overall pretty dang solid, I would say. Been hearing good things about the RE2 remake on PC, and well about that engine since it debuted in RE7. Hope DMC5 is another one of their good PC ports. DMC4 had two versions on PC, and both were good. I wonder how Monster Hunter World runs on PC. I mean, doesn't Capcom port most of their games to PC anyways these days? I guess the COO is saying we should expect that to continue.

...Capcom called the PC “a huge opportunity” back in 2009...
Damn it's been a decade already? Glad they continued to support PC this whole time.

To be fair, with Monster Hunter World I think it was the fact that a) there has never been a mainline MH title on PC until now and b) it's the far superior experience in terms of performance, graphics, modding, etc.

Maybe they can focus on fixing Strider for pc, guessing I'll have the same issues with Bionic Commando Rearmed too.

Are more Capcom games for the PC on the way? That’s likely, as COO Haruhiro Tsujimoto has told investors the platform is now a focus for the company. “From the viewpoint of promoting digital strategy, expansion of PC platform spread cannot be overlooked. The sales ratio of the PC versions in our main titles has been improving every year, and we will strive to further expand sales as an important platform.” Capcom called the PC “a huge opportunity” back in 2009, and things appear to be paying off based on recent hits such as Resident Evil 2.

The driving force behind this mindset is certainly Monster Hunter: World, which absolutely lit up the Steam charts last fall, leading Capcom to call it "a phenomenal success." That's not the sole factor, though. Resident Evil 2, Mega Man 11, Ominusha Warlords, Resident Evil 7 -- all major Capcom games that evidently did well on PC. We're already seeing some of this PC strategy in action. Devil May Cry 5 -- a headliner game by any metric -- releases next week, and the PC version will be available at launch.
Thank you Capcom

Ever since the infamous original version of RE4 on PC all those years ago, Capcom has been improving their efforts on PC. They were also pretty much the first big Japanese dev to support PC, if I'm not mistaken. They've had a lot of solid PC ports of games over the last several years or so. [H] still using Lost Planet in their CPU tests cuz of its 8-core scaling, and that game is old as fuck. Almost everything Capcom has ported to PC since then has been good. Some slip-ups here and there, but overall pretty dang solid, I would say. Been hearing good things about the RE2 remake on PC, and well about that engine since it debuted in RE7. Hope DMC5 is another one of their good PC ports. DMC4 had two versions on PC, and both were good. I wonder how Monster Hunter World runs on PC. I mean, doesn't Capcom port most of their games to PC anyways these days? I guess the COO is saying we should expect that to continue.

It pretty well all started with MT Framework engine. Dead Rising and Lost Planet shortly followed by almost all of their games being made on that engine. Even now I think RE Engine is heavily modified MT Framework.

Quite an impressive engine I think and the way they developed it allows for efficient porting from consoles, handhelds, and PC. I don’t think Capcom would be as prominent on PC right now had they not made this engine.

Back