capacitor broke off

I have a gigabyte 3080 that a capacitor just broke off while doing some thermal pad replacements. Tabs must have been weak.

it reads on the top:
5KB10
2.5v

I can't figure out what the first line is trying to convey. Any help?

lol "just fell off".
probably the model or type. you sure that "5" isnt an "S"? cant you just solder it back on?

lol "just fell off".
probably the model or type. you sure that "5" isnt an "S"? cant you just solder it back on?
I said broke...

I got it soldered back on, but then when putting it together it broke off again, but this time it broke clear back at the base of the cap.

And yes, it is a "5" unless it also runs at 2.Sv

I said broke...

I got it soldered back on, but then when putting it together it broke off again, but this time it broke clear back at the base of the cap.

And yes, it is a "5" unless it also runs at 2.Sv
He might have been referring to the first 5 - in 5KB10 or possibly SKB10.

lol "just fell off".

If it's an SMD capacitor, entirely possible it could fall off. Sometimes they don't put enough solder paste on the pads; Or for whatever reason, the solder didn't stick to the legs on the capacitor, resulting in a weak bond. I've had SMD caps on new devices pop off, it's not really common, but does happen.

I can't figure out what the first line is trying to convey. Any help?

The first line is manufacturer specific data, it's not really useful unless you know who made the capacitor. That can be hard to know on SMD capacitors because manufacturers don't generally put their name, just the series. Since so many different manufacturers exist with similar nomenclature, it makes it hard to know if you didn't order them yourself.

The two lines below are all you need to know, it's a 820uF capacitor rated at 2.5v. If there's no vent stamped into the top of the capacitor, it's probably a polymer type.

Looks like this...

20220609_174702.jpg

Yep, SMD capacitor. Get the diameter and height and plug the 820 uF and 2.5v into Mouser or Digikey's component finder to get what you need.

I've had a few of those fall off in my years. On my 8800GTS back in the day I opened my case and it was just laying there. Card worked fine though. A little bit of solder and it was back on. That card lasted until I stopped using it.

Back